Eric Lasagna

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

Gonna be honest, I think there's a decent chance this does worse than Frozen 2 critically. Doesn't seem like it'll help the box office either. Would like to be proven wrong though.

Unfortunately Big Screen Leaks' take exactly reflects my thoughts on BH6 and Raya so it seems like Hall has very obvious shortcomings. His heart is in the right place but he seems very content with by the numbers scripts (he was also credited for story on Raya which was as predictable and derivative as you get). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

Disney and Pixar need fresh writers. Animation on their front has taken a serious hit this decade in terms of quality.

Pixar just had Luca & Turning Red. I think they'll stand the test of time. And Disney clearly has some b-team working on these non musical projects & they are too safe, they should try something radical with these cause like what's the point then. I understand that probably not everybody wants to make musical animated films but then at least have some cool ideas for your stuff or don't try it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, InVy said:

Pixar just had Luca & Turning Red. I think they'll stand the test of time. And Disney clearly has some b-team working on these non musical projects & they are too safe, they should try something radical with these cause like what's the point then. I understand that probably not everybody wants to make musical animated films but then at least have some cool ideas for your stuff or don't try it.

Luca and Turning Red is precisely why they need new writers. They may be strong narratively speaking and have good reviews but they lack the entertainment value of their golden years. Pixar movies have become more boring and forgetable and are released on D+ because they know they'd become box office duds if released theatrically. They need fresh writers and an injection of humour

Lightyear bombing pretty much sealed the fate of this movie. You just know the suits are blaming that small lesbian kiss for that flop. This one has a prominent queer lead so I'm not surprised Disney's given up on it. Good luck to Wish, as it's Disney's sole holiday release next year. It's going to need all the luck it can get.

The movie itself doesn't seem to be all that either judging by those dangerously mixed social media reactions. That's what you get with the Raya creative team I suppose.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Lightyear bombing pretty much sealed the fate of this movie. You just know the suits are blaming that small lesbian kiss for that flop. This one has a prominent queer lead so I'm not surprised Disney's given up on it. 

That's my theory too. I know a lot of people are comparing this movie to Atlantis and Treasure Planet, but I think a better comparison might actually be Big Hero 6, Disney's last non-musical animated action/adventure movie. I seem to recall there being a lot more promotion for Big Hero 6 than there currently is for Strange World, not just on the company's part but from fans too (Baymax memes and the like). But we're not getting that here. If it were promoted more heavily, I could easily see Strange World performing somewhere between Wreck-it Ralph and Big Hero 6, earning somewhere between $500 and $600 million worldwide. But that's not what we're seeing. It's not like Disney to wait until so late to advertise one of their movies, or to put out so little promotion. The only explanation I can think of is that they're deliberately sabotaging it because there's some element of it they disapprove of. 

It's not like they'll ever admit it, of course. But this sort of thing has happened before. When The Owl House was cancelled on the Disney Channel, the official reason they gave was that its serialized format didn't fit in with the channel's other programming. But no one-- especially not the show's own creator-- believed that. Especially because Amphibia, another serialized show that aired on Disney Channel at the same time, was allowed to finish its run with a full three seasons. The only real difference between the two shows, content-wise, was that The Owl House had queer main characters. 

So where does this leave any future projects at Disney with LGBTQ main characters? In truth, I fear for their survival. 

• Like 1

500-600M worldwide is delusion imho, I never felt like this film had any buzz at all. This narrative about Disney dumping the film because of LGBTQ characters makes no sense to me, I think they just figured this was going to flop regardless and didn't want to spend big on marketing for it. If Disney didn't want a film with LGBTQ characters they could have just...not greenlit the film? Much easier and less expensive than just purposefully having it tank on the finish line.

Maybe I'm just off, but I feel like people sometimes have a cartoony view of CEOs, these people just want money man, they don't really care about much else.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

500-600M worldwide is delusion imho, I never felt like this film had any buzz at all. This narrative about Disney dumping the film because of LGBTQ characters makes no sense to me, I think they just figured this was going to flop regardless and didn't want to spend big on marketing for it. If Disney didn't want a film with LGBTQ characters they could have just...not greenlit the film? Much easier and less expensive than just purposefully having it tank on the finish line.

Maybe I'm just off, but I feel like people sometimes have a cartoony view of CEOs, these people just want money man, they don't really care about much else.

This common sense is refreshing.

7 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Easier to make sense of the world if you can simplify everything to heroes and villains. I suspect that's part of the reason a lot of people want the old fashioned Disney villain archetype back.