Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I was just looking at the schedule for January and...yikes man.

7: The 355

14: Scream

21: The King's Daughter (what is this lol), Operation Fortune

28: Morbius

Good news for December movies having good holds after the holidays are over that COVID even wiped out our January dumps.

Extend that release schedule through to The Batman before you hit anything that audiences might even consider showing up for:

Feb 4: Moonfall, Jackass (which is on Paramount+ same day i think)

Feb 11: Marry Me, Death on the Nile (which Disney is going to do their level best to pretend doesn't even exist)

Feb 18: Uncharted

Feb 25: Literally nothing of note

It's literally the CBMs only which people will show up for, Spider-Man and then Batman 10 weeks later.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Extend that release schedule through to The Batman before you hit anything that audiences might even consider showing up for:

Feb 11: Marry Me, Death on the Nile (which Disney is going to do their level best to pretend doesn't even exist)

It's literally the CBMs only which people will show up for, Spider-Man and then Batman 10 weeks later.

This is one reason why I legit think The Batman can break out.  The major reason is the buzz surrounding it, but the calendar placement sure is helping it maximize that buzz/attention.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Scream and Morbious should do well. I don't know what Scream trailer views are but I thought the trailer was really effective with the opening scene and all that. Morbius gets a lot of chatter whenever it plays.

The rest..💣

EDIT: the comment is only for Jan 2022. Haven't seen Feb 2022 posts while typing.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The-Numbers.com has more wide releases than that, although maybe not better...

Jan 7: The 355

Jan 14: Belle, Scream, Sesame Street

Jan 21: Cyrano, The King's Daughter, Operation Fortune

Jan 28: Morbius

So, 3 more wide releases plus all the limited ones that tend to be around and filling in when it's slow...

The Sesame Street movie never actually got made and there's now negotiations for that to be a HBO Max exclusive

Cyrano's also confirmed for a limited release first on the 21st, before expanding in early February, though maybe that could change since the awards buzz for it is non-existent. I'm also pretty sure Belle's a GKids/anime title, and one that isn't from an established and popular series either, so that's probably a typo too.

8 hours ago, Menor said:

Indeed, Endgame should have been nominated. I liked it better than all of the nominees I saw that year (around 5)

Nah dude. 2019 was an AMAZING year for film. So many deserving movies

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

In normal times, Moonfall and Marry Me would have done solid mid-level numbers like 50-60m, and AmbuLAnce coming on February 18th is a starry Michael Bay action movie and could do well too. I also think Uncharted has a very real and large fanbase, but the trailer stunk. 

January is indeed dire.

5 hours ago, Flopped said:

I agree. As a life-long fan of going to the movies, I have accepted theatres are dead to me. They're for superheroes and the 67th Star Wars spin off now. I just watch stuff on streaming. It is what it is. 

But... theaters are still releasing movies that you'd like though. This is literally everyone's point. Yes, the "superheroes and the Star wars" movies are obviously the ones on top, but there are PLENTY of movies that you could go watch in theaters right now that are more up your alley

• Like 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I was just looking at the schedule for January and...yikes man.

7: The 355

14: Scream

21: The King's Daughter (what is this lol), Operation Fortune

28: Morbius

Good news for December movies having good holds after the holidays are over that COVID even wiped out our January dumps.

I'm REALLY hoping Operation Fortune can be a decent hit, like The Gentlemen and Wrath of Man. The trailer made minimal splash it seems tho

Honestly January doesn't seem that bad. There are dumps there, like every January, but even taking out the holdovers and a potential breakout with Licorice Pizza, Scream and Morbius carry a lot of potential. Horror's still big and nostalgia sells for the former, and people basically turn into robots and immediately flock to anything with the word "Marvel" in it. Plus, Morbius will be riding on the coattails of Spidey-Mania.

February does look bleak though. Uncharted will bomb big time and I still have zero faith in adult audiences/audiences in general coming back for "regular movies", at least in time for February to prop up Marry Me/Ambulance. The Black Phone could surprise though. The YouTube likes on its trailer are at like 145K, which is about half of what Halloween Kills's first trailer had, and above stuff like Candyman and Scream. That's crazy.

5 hours ago, Flopped said:

I agree. As a life-long fan of going to the movies, I have accepted theatres are dead to me. They're for superheroes and the 67th Star Wars spin off now. I just watch stuff on streaming. It is what it is. 

Bringing Star Wars into this is a straw man argument since there's been a grand total of two spin-offs, the previous one over 3.5 years ago (and which disappointed quite a lot at the box office) and there's no official scheduled spin-off through 2023 now that Rogue Squadron went into suspension. So that's 3 mainline movies and 2 theatrical spinoffs in the 2015-2023 period and 0 since 2019.

Compared to 23 MCU movies that have released or are scheduled to release in that same period of time

Very apples to apples 

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

Honestly January doesn't seem that bad. There are dumps there, like every January, but even taking out the holdovers and a potential breakout with Licorice Pizza, Scream and Morbius carry a lot of potential. Horror's still big and nostalgia sells for the former, and people basically turn into robots and immediately flock to anything with the word "Marvel" in it. Plus, Morbius will be riding on the coattails of Spidey-Mania.

February does look bleak though. Uncharted will bomb big time and I still have zero faith in adult audiences/audiences in general coming back for "regular movies", at least in time for February to prop up Marry Me/Ambulance. The Black Phone could surprise though. The YouTube likes on its trailer are at like 145K, which is about half of what Halloween Kills's first trailer had, and above stuff like Candyman and Scream. That's crazy.

COVID situation could be alot worse over these two months than it is right now, and it is already pretty damn bad right now. If it stays about where it is now as Delta burns out and Omicron increases, I see 25m OW for Scream and Morbius, 20m for Uncharted, 15m for Black Phone, and about 12m for Ambulance and Marry Me.

• Disbelief 1

People haven't brought it up,  but George Clooney and Julia Roberts are starring in a romantic comedy in 2022. If that doesn't get marketed as a big event, and doesn't do big numbers at the box office, THEN Adult blockbusters are truly dead. Unless it sucks, there's no reason that that movie shouldn't be a hit

Anyways Berg's version of West Side Story was absolutely great. I was very skeptical for the longest time because how do you improve on a legitimately great movie musical. But Berg does improve on it in most respects, though he makes a few mistakes the 1961 movie doesn't.

A shame it hasn't caught on across the country, this is a movie made for seeing with a crowd. My theater was about 75% full for my 130 showing, but I live in the NYC metro so I am not too surprised at the well-attendedness of my showing compared to country-wide.

Continuing on the January/February 2022 release talk, I really hope Marry Me can do well. Shouldn't be too expensive, has 2 big stars (Owen Wilson has made a nice comeback I think), and it's certainly a film that would've killed 15 years ago. The Black Phone should also do well. As someone mentioned, the first trailer performed very well, but that feels like a while ago now, and since then there has been nothing. They probably shouldn't release another trailer too. Paramount really dropped the ball on delaying Jackass Forever for no reason. I think it would've crushed in 2021. I'm sure they'll release a new trailer for it, but the trailer they released felt like it was everywhere. Idk if they can recover that buzz