Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I would pull the plug immediately on Fiddler on the Roof or send it direct the streaming...again, there's a great, available on streaming free, movie version already...

I would have pulled the plug on that the second they announced it. There is nothing to improve from the Topol version. Nothing. 

5 hours ago, Menor said:

Indeed, Endgame should have been nominated. I liked it better than all of the nominees I saw that year (around 5)

I get why it wasn’t. But Silvestri getting snubbed?

spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

4 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

Tbh I'm curious to see how low Oscar viewership can go, seems like it's been declining almost every year. A good chunk of people just don't give AF about most movies nominated

Anecdotally, Twitter is the big killer for me. Why do I need to sit through a long ceremony with commercials when I can just check the Twitter for fashion and win updates? Way faster and no awkward comedy banter!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

But next year has Bullet Train, AmbuLAnce, Elvis, Nope, Killers of Flower Moon, and Babylon all loaded with star power, high concepts, and no streaming releases. There will be no more excuses next year, and it will have a real impact on the future of these kind of films.

Speaking of, where is the trailer for Bullet Train?

I was just looking at the schedule for January and...yikes man.

7: The 355

14: Scream

21: The King's Daughter (what is this lol), Operation Fortune

28: Morbius

Good news for December movies having good holds after the holidays are over that COVID even wiped out our January dumps.

Edited by filmlover

9 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

That's a fantasy adventure movie with Pierce Brosnan from the director of Bratz and Cats and Dogs 3, and was filmed all the way back in 2014. I can't wait for this disasterpiece lol

Mind...Blown GIF - Mind Blown Wow Impressed - Discover & Share GIFs

How bad must a movie be to sit on the shelf for 8 years.

Edit - all the breakdowns, just in different spots...https://deadline.com/2021/12/west-side-story-opening-weekend-1234888675/

"West Side Story is a movie squarely aimed at older females (it pulled in 57% females, 52% over 35) and that demo is just not coming out right now because of the holiday season, and they’re even slower to come out because of the pandemic. Broken down on PostTrak, 40% of West Side Story‘s were females over 25 (89% grade), 33% were men over 25 (88% grade), with 16% females under 25 (90% grade) and guys under 25 at 10% (83% grade). Those over 45 repped 40% of all ticket buyers."

"And for West Side Story, Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak shows an audience that was 30% Latino/Hispanic, 52% Caucasian, 6% Black and 12% Asian/other. Latino and Hispanic audiences gave West Side Story an 88% grade on PostTrak to Caucasians" 90%.

Editing to add: It seems Deadline was over-explaining that Hispanic audiences will not show up to material outside of their specific cultural experience.  No idea whether that's actually true, but it should inform the budgets of future material if it is...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

1990s and 2000s is the nearest golden age of moviegoing of Hollywood.

We have multiple franchise tentpole thriving , new and old alike such as 007, Jurassic Park, SW prequel, LOTR, HP, Marvel and DC, POTC, transfomer. While tentpoles taking over the main crowd, there was still multiple amateur's project that become iconic hit like Titanic, Gladiator, 300, I am legend, Apollo 13, pretty women, Ghost, wars of the world, the sixth sense or Trumanshow and tons of comedies. We even got some indie hit like My big fat greek wedding, Juno, Slumdog millionaire. Even the MCU or FF that we define for this 2010s was originated in 2000s. 

That was the age when the diversity of cinema really strike in.

Looking at 2010s, outside of Marvel vs DC, we hardly get any new tentpoles, new universe. Aside from Hunger game series and conjuring universe that become successful hit, almost every attempt launching new world failed. Not to mention the almost extinct amateur projects.  

We may see more colour of representation in the industry, but another layer of diversity is gone and waiting for miracle to revive it.

I remember back in 2002 seeing posters and adverts at my theater for Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Matrix Sequels, Spiderman(back when CBMs were new, fresh, and interesting) and Star Wars all simultaneously.  It was a wild time.  Also, during this era, academy gave best picture to huge iconic populist hits like Gladiator and Lord of the Rings.  In hindsight, this all feels so alien and unheard of now.  Now the cinemascape is just COVID, streaming wars, and CBM dominance.   I almost feel sorry for any up coming film enthusiasts under 25 right now.  The rest of us are like Roy Batty, we've seen things you younglings wouldn't believe! 

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

You have a point. It's also about catering to the mom demographic. My mom doesn't care about Rachel Zegler, Jodie Comer or Ana De Armas. She has no clue who they are. But she would def watch a movie with Halle, Julia or Sandra. And she has said she wants to see "the Lady Gaga movie." 

Ana De Armas is like the most beautiful and charismatic star in Hollywood right now IMO, she was the only memorable part of No Time to Die.  Its like the producers were afraid to have a really sexy and charming Bond girl in a Bond movie that wasn't so self serious and dour so they kicked her out of the movie after 10 minutes.   And Jodie Comer is gonna have a very successful career.   Haven't seen Killing Eve or Free Guy, but she was really great in The Last Duel.  There were a lot of scenes where she conveys so much with just her eyes and minimal dialogue, not many actors can do that.  Shes gonna act opposite the master Joaquin Phoenix himself next and I'm here for it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

I'm not sure which movies you're thinking of that are marketing cinematic universes and not selling toys, the latter is just a subset of the former.

The Mummy with Tom Cruise, for example. It doesn't really have merchandise stuff, but it tried really hard to market its own cinematic universe, and it failed.

Also from the Deadline article:

Streamers with theatrical titles that are hiding their grosses in Comscore, include Netflix with the Adam McKay-directed big star ensemble Don’t Look Up, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Jonah Hill, etc. at 500 locations, including Alamo, Cinemark, and Harkins among the notables, with a $260K Friday, $700K opening weekend. Pic hits Netflix on Dec. 24. Top locations were Netflix’s Paris NY, Alamo Brooklyn, Alamo San Francisco, and the Landmark. 

Amazon’s Aaron Sorkin-directed Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz feature Being the Ricardos, is looking like an estimated $150K on Friday and $450K for the weekend at 400 runs. AMC has close to half of that location count, with Cinemark and Harkins also playing the film. The movie debuts on Amazon Prime on Dec. 21. Top theaters were AMC Grove, AMC Lincoln Square, AMC Burbank, AMC Universal Citywalk, and  iPic Houston. I’m told by sources that numbers for both Don’t Look Up and Being the Ricardos were soft throughout.

15 minutes ago, Firepower said:

The Mummy with Tom Cruise, for example. It doesn't really have merchandise stuff, but it tried really hard to market its own cinematic universe, and it failed.

Oh, it definitely has some. Not as much as many other cinematic universes, true, but I'm pretty sure there were mummy toys sold from that movie. 

8 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Speaking of stars, JLaw irreparably damaged her career with her exhausting "look, I'm just like you! pizza!" campaign a few years back, didn't she? 

Spew all over

JLaw

KStew

Gal Gadot

anyone else you would like to add?

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Good news for December movies having good holds after the holidays are over that COVID even wiped out our January dumps.

scream 5 might do decent since 90s nostalgia/horror are bigger deals now than when Scream 4 came out. Morbius might do well due to MCu fans seeing it to see if Keaton’s character is the Vulture and if it has any connection to the MCU

30 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Spew all over

JLaw

KStew

Gal Gadot

anyone else you would like to add?

KStew I like. Her Diana performance is laughable, though. Legit started laughing the moment she appears onscreen, head cocked to the side (she's shy!) and opens her mouth to speak. Thought it was a spoof. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I remember before a best picture would get so much attention, now no one cares or knows who won best pic last year. 

I don't agree with this. 

Sure, Nomadland whatever. But that was a dead year.

Parasite barely would've gotten a Domestic release if it hadn't won best picture/been a contender. It certainly would have never gotten CLOSE to $53m DOM.

Green Book would never have made nearly $300m if it hadn't been an Oscar contender/won best picture.

The Shape of Water, a movie about a deaf woman who fucks a fish, would not have made nearly $200m if it wasn't an Oscar contender/best picture winner.

And so on and so on. Sure, people can talk about the Oscars being a giant Hollywood circle jerk. Whatever. But they are absolutely important for films getting major exposure that otherwise would not have done well at the box office

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The-Numbers.com has more wide releases than that, although maybe not better...

Jan 7: The 355

Jan 14: Belle, Scream, Sesame Street

Jan 21: Cyrano, The King's Daughter, Operation Fortune

Jan 28: Morbius

So, 3 more wide releases plus all the limited ones that tend to be around and filling in when it's slow...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The-Numbers.com has more wide releases than that, although maybe not better...

Jan 7: The 355

Jan 14: Belle, Scream, Sesame Street

Jan 21: Cyrano, The King's Daughter, Operation Fortune

Jan 28: Morbius

So, 3 more wide releases plus all the limited ones that tend to be around and filling in when it's slow...

Sesame Street has not been made yet. Morbius should do 100M plus.