Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WSS try $4.1M incl previews 10.5ish

Encanto 2.2 9.5ish (outside chance of upset, true FSS looks real close)

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Probably $1.25M. 4.1ish

Numbers I really care about this week are resident evil, Eternals, V2, and nttd 😂

Edited by Product Driven Legion

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Almost 4x.

In fact FRI most likely be even for two.

Seems high? NWH is doing like 2-3% daily growth and base is still like 75Mish so should be ballpark 2-2.5M dailies right? Maybe can win Sun if it accelerates.

Some of the musicals in December

2017 - Pitch Perfect 3 - $105M from $20M (5.25x)
2017 - TGS - $174M from $9M (19.3x)
2018 - Mary Poppins - $172M from $23M (7.5x)

2019 - Cats - $27M from $6.6M (4.1x)

WSS will open $12M+ mostly. This is pre XMAS, the above were all opening XMAS week so there is more holiday time for this to go. I am not a musical head so donno if WOM is good or bad, not an awards head either to know if it will get that boost, but I can see this open $12M and go $150M or may be just bundle around $70M.

Either way, just shut this trash talk of dead theaters and all. We are getting $200M opening weekend next week most likely, and then Matrix is looking to open well as well. We had a solid October, MCU failed us in November otherwise things were looking pretty solid there too. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WSS will open $12M+ mostly. This is pre XMAS, the above were all opening XMAS week so there is more holiday time for this to go. I am not a musical head so donno if WOM is good or bad, not an awards head either to know if it will get that boost, but I can see this open $12M and go $150M or may be just bundle around $70M.

Either way, just shut this trash talk of dead theaters and all. We are getting $200M opening weekend next week most likely, and then Matrix is looking to open well as well. We had a solid October, MCU failed us in November otherwise things were looking pretty solid there too. 

Yes to all of this. 

Moreover, I just dug up my In The Heights v West Side Story Club that I posted from two years ago pre-COVID:

On 12/29/2019 at 4:20 PM, Cap said:

Let’s Talk Numbers:

Reveal hidden contents

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The argument isn’t that theaters are dead. That’s nonsense. The argument is that non-IPs are still struggling. And theaters can’t survive with this films doing PTA under 1k. And the more the struggle, the more they will lose screens and more its core audience will likely diminish. Spider-Man is MCU. Matrix, another IP. Gucci’s 36m would currently be a disaster otherwise. Free Guy succeeded because while original, it had pop culture Easter eggs and appealed to the young demo who are the ones boosting theaters. Nightmare Alley is probably absolutely bombing next week

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1

We have people who personally like to see non IP in theaters, I totally get that. But like, mathematically -- it just is not the case the exhibition needs nonIP to survive. If it literally went to zero a relatively modest % increase in IP movie gross/year would cancel it out.

8 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

We have people who personally like to see non IP in theaters, I totally get that. But like, mathematically -- it just is not the case the exhibition needs nonIP to survive. If it literally went to zero a relatively modest % increase in IP movie gross/year would cancel it out.

It’s deluding the marketplace first of all. You’re losing a solid demographic without a wider selection of films. Secondly, 12-20 theater auditoriums cannot simply play Spider-Man on 9 of them. 2015 alone with Daddy’s Home and Sisters provided a robust 4800k PTA and 4700k PTA during their openings alongside Force Awakens. 

Plus you’re also not even factoring or taking into consideration arthouse theaters or smaller theaters. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I’m thinking $60m for WSS, tops. 

That would still be decent for a musical. Obviously it cost $100m+ though and is being released in covid times. 

An A Cinemascore plus fatalistic reviews and older audiences can all only help with legs though. 

Domestic totals of my favourite musical adaptations: 

The Greatest Showman $174.3m

Chicago $171m

Les Miserables $148.8m

Mamma Mia $144m

Mamma Mia 2 $121m

Hairspray $118.9m

Dreamgirls $104m

Moulin Rogue! $57.4m

In The Heights $29.9m

Cats $27.1m

Into The Woods and Mary Poppins Returns did $100m+ too, I just didn’t like them lol. La La Land was obviously a huge hit too, but is an original. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dear Evan Hansen had a 3.2m total opening day including previews (800k).

Respect had 3.6m opening day with 600k previews. 8.8m 

So... 9-10m OW? Oof.

One thing I've been wondering, and maybe this isn't mattering, but Disney has been wildly pissing off its fans with its park policies lately (enough to make national morning tv a few weeks back)...I wonder if overall Disney unhappiness (on top of their still happy, but happy to stay home, D+ subscribers) has been reducing their "always go to their movies" base, even just a little.

This applies more to Encanto than WSS, although both were heavily marketed under the Disney brand...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • ...wtf 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One thing I've been wondering, and maybe this isn't mattering, but Disney has been wildly pissing off its fans with its park policies lately (enough to make national morning tv a few weeks back)...I wonder if overall Disney unhappiness (on top of their still happy, but happy to stay home, D+ subscribers) has been reducing their "always go to their movies" base, even just a little.

This applies more to Encanto than WSS, although both were heavily marketed under the Disney brand...

or we can just look at average box office of the most popular film of the last several years Moana and super beloved & praised Coco

20 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Nothing is over until it's over especially during a very lucrative holiday season. I know covid and all that but The Greatest Showman opened with only 8.8M, got mixed reviews (57% is mixed rather than panned) and legged it up to 174M thanks to WOM. Star power didn't open. Musical wasn't known or it was an original IP hence low initial interest. And then WOM happened and the thing couldn't have been stopped. I say we wait before we bury WSS which has more going for it (famous IP, Spielberg, rave reviews, awards season legs). I know that covid is a problem because it keeps audience that may be interested in WSS at home, but judging the whole run on the preview number is an overreaction. 

That's got modern and radio friendly appealing music to discover. This is going nowhere with the already well know music from 1000 years ago. 

Edited by vale900