Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

59 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Still i find hard to believe this is because of COVID only, these movies are opening pretty bad the whole year no matter how good or bad the environment is, so there's definitely a bigger problem hitting them.

Why is there such a debate? Adults above 45+ aren't really going out to watch movies. Out of 780k deaths in USA due COVID, 700k were people past the age of 45+.

I don't know how many of you are above 45 age, but yea, they are reluctant. I am pretty sure it would be rare to find a person above age of 50, who doesn't know at least one colleague or acquaintance, who wasn't able to survive COVID.

SH movies are supported by us young ones, so yeah... In all parts of world, we died least and fear Corona least. 

3 hours ago, john2000 said:

Jeesh i mean yeah theaters are dead people dont come back blah blah lets just all forget about the 200-250 mill ow opener next week.On a more serious note how about people just didnt give a single shit about this ? Its not like musicals were big before covid

Huh? La La Land? Mamma Mia? The Greatest Showman?

Are you forgetting the 250m opener next weekend is a giant Marvel movie that's dominating multiple screens?

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Huh? La La Land? Mamma Mia? The Greatest Showman?

Are you forgetting the 250m opener next weekend is a giant Marvel movie that's dominating multiple screens?

We have had some big musical from time to time but its not like thats a sure thing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

We have had some big musical from time to time but its not like thats a sure thing

In terms of ratio of hits to misses, musicals leaned more hits than any other genre except superhero movies until this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

What? The only sure thing is Marvel. But musicals more or less have a very strong track record and have for years. Then you add Spielberg into the mix who is the biggest director of alltime and consistently raises and creates interest in adult dramas

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

, Ghostbusters: Afterlife.  A movie that most thought was going to bomb, but there it is kicking along towards $200m domestic. 

Judging by these the box office so far (weekend holds, daily holds, mathematics, etc.) isn’t it more likely for Afterlife to go under the 2016 film DOM?

Edited by YourMother

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

True. People have listed the biggest hits in this thread already, but nobody remembers the flops.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a hit considering the pedigree, but i think people are not in the mood for a musical in these dark times. ITH was similarly hyped and it bombed. Still, Christmas legs will help WSS, let's wait until we bury  it

Edited by Maggie

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

True. People have listed the biggest hits in this thread already, but nobody remembers the flops.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a hit considering the pedigree, but i think people are not in the mood for a musical in these dark times. ITH was similarly hyped and it bombed. Still, Christmas legs will help WSS, let's wait until we bury  it

Yeah there's flops but no genre escapes flops. Even non-MCU superhero movies have flopped. Hell, a MCU just flopped last month

3 hours ago, john2000 said:

Covid just accelerated a trend that was ALREADY in place.Simple.I will prefer to give my money to matrix or spidey than this and i am not alone in that regard.This movie may be fantastic but its not screaming cinematic experience...

Idk why people insist this when in 2019 (the last "normal" year before everything went to shit), we saw plenty of Adult oriented movies perform well at the box office like Knives Out, Once upon a time in hollywood, 1917, Ford v Ferrari,  Yesterday, Uncut Gems DOM, Hustlers, Little Women, Rocketman, etc.

All adult targeted movies with varying budgets. All did well. So I completely reject the idea that "the current state of the box office had been in the works for years". Completely unfounded 

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Idk why people insist this when in 2019 (the last "normal" year before everything went to shit), we saw plenty of Adult oriented movies perform well at the box office like Knives Out, Once upon a time in hollywood, 1917, Ford v Ferrari, Hustlers, Little Women, Rocketman, etc.

Also hilarious they claim West Side Story is not screaming "cinematic experience" when it's Spielberg's most visually ambitious film since Saving Private Ryan and features musical sequences and production that are just unheard of for modern blockbusters. And I say that as someone who didn't even love the film

But I guess CGI explosions and greenscreen is more worthy of money

You'd think if 80m worth of people liked The Post which consisted of interiors and talky boardroom scenes, they'd like a musical bonanza with romance and violence

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Also hilarious they claim West Side Story is not screaming "cinematic experience" when it's Spielberg's most visually ambitious film since Saving Private Ryan and features musical sequences and production that are just unheard of for modern blockbusters. And I say that as someone who didn't even love the film

But I guess CGI explosions and greenscreen is more worthy of money

You'd think if 80m worth of people liked The Post which consisted of interiors and talky boardroom scenes, they'd like a musical bonanza with romance and violence

I mean I wouldn't rule out 80m for this movie. It's early days and December is a totally different animal for legs. 

Edited by Menor

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Judging by these the box office so far (weekend holds, daily holds, mathematics, etc.) isn’t it more likely for Afterlife to go under the 2016 film DOM?

Yeah, that was my fuck up glancing at the number quickly as I was typing.  I was looking at the WW.  

Point remains, Ghostbusters is doing well and did well for a movie that so many thought was going to be a bomb.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor said:

I mean I wouldn't rule out 80m for this movie. It's early days and December is a totally different animal for legs. 

Correct, also along with the fact that I posted in the tracking thread that Disney made theaters commit to playing it clean all the way through Jan. 6th if they were going to take it.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm still so pissed about this.

The way them people were acting about that 2016 film you'd think a new GB movie with the return of the original cast would be doing Star Wars numbers.

Turns out nobody was actually that bothered about this franchise. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Like… what? Serious question — what is to be done? Posting about how you wish less vfx/CBMish movies were still successful theatrical exclusives to a degree they have been in the past isn’t going to magic the GA into wanting to see them again. The streaming genie isn’t going back in its bottle, home tech is only going to get better and cheaper.

Family subscriber models...Cinemark is closest right now, but theaters need to come up with family pricing for family movies...Clifford did it, but it waited til weekend #4...

I would have subscribed long before now (a new subscriber) if I could have bought tickets for my kids or had them in the plan.  As is, it was Cinemark's new platinum option, with 6 discounted tickets/month on top of my credit, that got me to buy...

They may need to also introduce "senior" plans...ala the old Moviepass, for those 45+, but exclude the supers movies and discount them to get grandma back in to theaters...

'

You HAVE to get 25+ females back in, especially with their 12 and under kids and their 50+ friends...you have to figure out a change you can run with...

Cinemark is trying a tactic...I think Regal, who has suffered the most, should give the family plan or senior plan a try...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I by absolutely no means am saying that superhero movies or streaming is going anywhere, but to the what can be done crowd - for about 20+ years, Hollywood was largely dominated by cookie-cutter Code movies, studio-owned multiplexes, and westerns. Then the late 1960s came around, and with it came revolutionary movies and major changes to how films are released, creating a world where movies like the Godfather could shatter box office records and all leading up to Jaws, Star Wars, etc. I'm not saying we're ever getting a New Hollywood era again, but it would start with studios taking major risks on costly, original projects oriented towards adults that create a market for these things to be huge hits, just like back then. This is both a simplified history and complicated by streamers, but it all starts with that kind of risky investment I'm worried won't continue to happen.

• Like 1

As for WSS, if it does only open at $10M, it's not going above 4-5x DOM for legs, and will be another financial bomb, even in the Covid era...there's just too many wide openers and limiteds needing Oscar runs for this to stick anywhere but the major multiplexes over Xmas at that open...

Although as I said in tracking thread a few days ago, when I thought it would open to $10M, which would break the $4-7M adult-oriented movie OW range from this year (save Gaga breaking it already), that at least we might be starting to break over the top range for adult movies, even if just slightly...and it may be slow baby steps progression forward from here on out, but at least it's that way, and not the other...

Edited by TwoMisfits