Eric Burnett

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mean, I agree that it sucked, but I know a good few who liked it. Was surprised how decent the reception was among my SW fan friends.

A lot of SW fans are completely fine with a movie as long as it has some “pow pow” “boom boom” and throw in a lightsaber sequence 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

NOPE. 👎

(see, @Cap, why'd you tag me into the middle of all this???)

Actually gonna expand on this, @Knights of Ren

The Rey/Ren stuff is soooooo good, that it alone elevates it from being "garbage".  

There are many... questionable aspects of that film. And it's main problem, IMO, is that it's spread out enough that the film contains something to annoy nearly everyone, sometime's greatly.  Mine is, "C'mon now, JJ, enough already with the super weapons.  Seriously.  Just stop it."  

That and the ease of the reassembled rebellion is enough to knock it down into the 8 or so range.

So instead of "pleasing everybody", JJ managed to irk lots of people, which led to a cascading situation where the film doesn't have many LOUD VOICES defending it.

But, damn, is there a lot of good stuff in that film.  Especially if you're a Rey Fan.

Does it fall short in some respects?  Sure.  Point conceded.  But is it "garbage"?  Not remotely.  Not, even close to remotely.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Rey/Ren stuff is soooooo good, that it alone elevates it from being "garbage".  

There are many... questionable aspects of that film. And it's main problem, IMO, is that it's spread out enough that the film contains something to annoy nearly everyone, sometime's greatly.  Mine is, "C'mon now, JJ, enough already with the super weapons.  Seriously.  Just stop it."  

That and the ease of the reassembled rebellion is enough to knock it down into the 8 or so range.

So instead of "pleasing everybody", JJ managed to irk lots of people, which led to a cascading situation where the film doesn't have many LOUD VOICES defending it.

But, damn, is there a lot of good stuff in that film.  Especially if you're a Rey Fan.

Does it fall short in some respects?  Sure.  Point conceded.  But is it "garbage"?  Not remotely.  Not, even close to remotely.

GOD DAMMIT, MAKING ME BREAK OUT MY "SW SHILL AND APOLOGIST" SPIEL AGAIN!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: 

I'll GET YOU ALL!!! I DON'T KNOW HOW YET, BUY I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!  JUST YOU WAIT AN-

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 4

Just now, Porthos said:

I’m mostly shitposting to get us to 100, so don’t take everything I say overly serious.  The Rey/Ren force bond is still great but that was established in TLJ so I’m not giving JJ credit.  I’m mostly upset the completely butchered Palpatine.  His butchering hurts the 8 films before it IMO.  Also the third act just did nothing for me.  They threw Ben down a pit just so Rey could defeat Palpatine alone and the space battle with all the ships doesn’t feel earned at all.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

A fellow Eternals fan! I actually think it's Marvel's best movie of the year lmao

1. WandaVision

2. Eternals

3. Spider-Man: No Way Home

4. Loki

5. Hawkeye

6. Black Widow

7. What If

8. Shang-Chi

9. Falcon and the Winter Soldier

I'm going further, it's one of the best MCU movies overall, probably low top 10-12 for me.

It have many flaws? Yes. It also have some strenghts that MCU have never experienced? Definitely yes.

For such an ambitious project to exist inside of a very solid structure like Marvel without nostalgia behind is already impressive, and obviously it wouldn't nail everything, but i think it nails lots of things.

It's beautiful not only visually, but thematically. It's not afraid of enter some discussions (even if not in the deepest way) that most blockbusters avoid. It have a very interesting cast, one of the most beautiful ensembles MCU ever had. The diversity on the characters motivations and actions is very well used and give to them a sense of humanity that's very hard to achieve for immortal beings, their dillemas is very real. It really have these cosmic bigger than life scale and it sells it. Works with different povs of good, bad and neutral in a way that elevates the somewhat basic plot. The action sequences never felt like a gimming despite the chatacters being so powerful, they all have a reason, and the anime vibe coming especially from the final act is simply gorgeous. 

Anyway, i could find way more good things about this movie even if yes, it's convoluted, messy, underdeveloped and even boring at times. It amazes me why so many people decided to focus more on the flaws than the good things, since many of the flaws is frequently on MCU, just on more funny and less demanding projects.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Anecdotal evidence is Anecdotal but.... my theater sold 2906 tickets yesterday to every movie, we sold 2965 tickets today, and it was skewed even more towards NWH, we've so far pre-sold 500~ for Monday and 300~ for Tuesday.

What did you have presold for Sun the same time yesterday?

9 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I forgot to add my boys the Knights of Ren we’re done incredibly dirty.  I’m embarrassed of my username tbh

Spying Spider-Man GIF by Morphin

OK, I'll chime in here.  Yep.  Bad storytelling 101.  They introduce this "Knights of Ren" and don't do a damn thing with it.  Still, TFA is Lawrence of Arabia compared to what followed (the last two minutes alone make the journey worth it).  Don't get me started on TLJ.  What a mess those two follow-ups were.  

I'm out. 

::THWIP::

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

GOD DAMMIT, MAKING ME BREAK OUT MY "SW SHILL AND APOLOGIST" SPIEL AGAIN!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: 

I'll GET YOU ALL!!! I DON'T KNOW HOW YET, BUY I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!  JUST YOU WAIT AN-

**dour look on my face**

Somehow....

Porthostine returned.

Edited by GoblinXXR
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It have many flaws? Yes. It also have some strenghts that MCU have never experienced? Definitely yes.

Since were all basically just shit posting to get to 100, I guess it’s time for me to finally talk about this movie.  

I felt like from a character perspective they were the most interesting and complex people we’ve seen marvel put out in a very very long time. Maybe I was just exactly the target audience, but I was really desperate for what they put out. And I was very happy to have Sersi, and Thena, and Gil, and Kingo in the MCU. 

Obviously without going into spoilers, because if you haven’t seen it yet watch it on January 12 on Disney+, there’s just soooo much to marinate yourself in upon re-watches. Again, not going to much into spoilers, but (insert redacted character here) is fascinating upon rewatch. Very very interesting and what that character is and also how that actor Approached the role.

I spent a lot of time thinking about how you could improve the movie. I too agree that there were some kinks here and there. And I think it’s one character too many. And again, avoiding spoilers, I know exactly who I would take out. And I think the movie would be a lot more succinct in the first act if that character was not there, and I think that was where a lot of issues happen. 

Because the third act? Oh my God the third act is gorgeous. Gorgeous. 

I also have a lot of thoughts on the critical and fan reactions to the movie, but I’m not opening that can of worms. Not even to get to 100 pages.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I’m mostly upset the completely butchered Palpatine

And this is what I mean about irking lots of people.  For me, Palpatine was fine in the film. 

But, like to give another example, JJ managed to radically honk off both the Reylos and Antis.  Thus neither of the factions rose to defend the film online very much, and indeed joined in on the trashing in many cases.  Considering that much of the Discourse of the ST surrounded the whole Reylo possibility, I tend to think TROS's biggest mistake, at least when it comes to Online Reception/Discourse was managing to upset both camps pretty heavily.

(for the record, I was always against the Reylo idea for reasons that don't need to be gone into here, and they're rehashing old arguments besides)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I also see a significant boost for Multiverse of Madness. Idk if it will do $400 million, but it's prime to have a similar increase as Thor did between it's 2nd and 3rd films.

Well what is very basically clear is a lot has changed for the Dr. Strange character since his first film. He's had an unusually long wait time for a sequel but he was far from invisible in the meantime. He was a very popular part of IW and a major role here in NWH (and a good cameo in Ragnarok). Even putting aside the interest of more multiverse shenanigans I think he's viewed as a more central name in the MCU by virtue of those crossovers.

• Like 2