Eric is Quiet

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

A reminder that recovery is on the way but far from holistic and healthy.  Enchanto and GB: A are holding better than I hoped , didn't expect GB: A to go for sub-50% drop in the face of NWH. WSS' disaster is now almost complete and almost irreversible. You can't counterprogram against a 250m opener.   

A great indicator that the power of the big screen will not be defeated by a pandemic: Ticket sales for all movies this weekend are expected to gross an estimated $273.5M, +10% from two years ago when Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, the last massive blockbuster, opened before Covid. However, as we mentioned prior, the success of Spider-Man: No Way Home is not a case of a tide rising all boats. No Way Home is commanding 90% of the entire weekend’s ticket sales, this compared to Rise of Skywalker which had an opening of $177.3M that repped 72% of the domestic B.O. over Dec. 20-22, 2019.

Damn at the NWH numbers. I thought Omicron might’ve diluted the OW but there’s nothing stopping it. Good for NWH, I’m surprised I liked the movie a lot, hopefully ATSV parts one and two reap some of the benefit.

I do wonder about Q1-April breakouts. I mean I am positive both Matrix and Sing 2 go over 150m DOM but there’s slim pickings on the calendar. If we handle Omicron well, Morbius should be a 40m opener cause audience love Marvel. I think The Batman can open to 150m+, maybe even much more. If families return, Turning Red and Sonic 2 should open above 40m, and hopefully The Bad Guys could do a Dreamworks spring breakout. Lost City and Ambulance seem like 70m-115m grosser and Beasts 3 will be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Damn at the NWH numbers. I thought Omicron might’ve diluted the OW but there’s nothing stopping it. Good for NWH, I’m surprised I liked the movie a lot, hopefully ATSV parts one and two reap some of the benefit.

I do wonder about Q1-April breakouts. I mean I am positive both Matrix and Sing 2 go over 150m DOM but there’s slim pickings on the calendar. If we handle Omicron well, Morbius should be a 40m opener cause audience love Marvel. I think The Batman can open to 150m+, maybe even much more. If families return, Turning Red and Sonic 2 should open above 40m, and hopefully The Bad Guys could do a Dreamworks spring breakout. Lost City and Ambulance seem like 70m-115m grosser and Beasts 3 will be interesting to watch.

I wouldn't be at all surprised by a $50M+ opening for Morbius tbh.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Dont think Matrix does over 150M with HBO Max and middling reviews battling Spidey. I think Scream will do ok. Maybe 60 to 80m domestic. Morbius looks like its doing to do ok as well. I agree around 40M opening. 

I am more concerned about delays for upcoming movies that dont have tickets already out. Once 1 movie movies it will mean 5 others will react. 

4 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

Wait so according to you they saw it opening weekend with a crowded theater but now they're worried about covid lol

Lol too , it's simple to understand their issue , they took their chances for once and don't want to take again.

Open #SpidermanNoWayHome tag in twitter and you can see many tweets regarding this.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So does this have a chance at becoming the highest grossing Spider-man movie adjusted?

What's the magic number?

70.6 million tickets sold for Spiderman 2002. That would be close to 1 billion at todays ticket prices though. 

9 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Dont think Matrix does over 150M with HBO Max and middling reviews battling Spidey. I think Scream will do ok. Maybe 60 to 80m domestic. Morbius looks like its doing to do ok as well. I agree around 40M opening. 

I am more concerned about delays for upcoming movies that dont have tickets already out. Once 1 movie movies it will mean 5 others will react. 

TBF I think it’s because it’s the adult skewing movies going back, which makes sense as the 18-34 crowd are the only consistent crowd right now. The tentpoles and family films will likely stay on their intended dates.

Just now, YourMother said:

TBF I think it’s because it’s the adult skewing movies going back, which makes sense as the 18-34 crowd are the only consistent crowd right now. The tentpoles and family films will likely stay on their intended dates.

Batman could shift I guess. Death on the Nile a definite candidate for selling off/hybrid/stream/delay. Maybe even Downton Abbey. 

The Black Phone just shifted. Those 2 STX films Contract and Operation etc just shifted (company broke) so could go to streaming etc.

Scream is already selling so wont move. I don't think movies have finished shuffling. Marry Me went to hybrid. 

They will want to put Uncharted out in Feb with Holland mania.