Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Like, whatever Jackass makes this weekend, it probably won't even be the story of the weekend since Moonfall is looking to be one heck of an ugly bomb with that insane budget it has.

Yeh the trades love to focus on the negative, unfortunately. 

for example, when nominations are announced, the first articles they go with are “who was SNUBBED!?”, they’re entering tabloid territory these days. 

I have moved the comments to the Jackass thread, lets keep on topic here. 

The uncultured fools who are blind to past American culture despite being from different cultures around the world can turn in their BO fan cards in the jackass thread - https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/28642-jackass-forever-paramount-february-4-2022/?tab=comments#comment-4032669

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

for example, when nominations are announced, the first articles they go with are “who was SNUBBED!?”, they’re entering tabloid territory these days. 

To be fair, negative news has always been more likely to catch attention than positive news. That's the press for ya, unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, negative news has always been more likely to catch attention than positive news. That's the press for ya, unfortunately.

Is this really true, or do we just see examples where negative news catches more attention than positive news catch more attention than examples where positive news catches more attention than negative news ;)    

Seems to me like NWH vs Moonfall vs Jackass OD could end up in any permutation this weekend,

4 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Is this really true, or do we just see examples where negative news catches more attention than positive news catch more attention than examples where positive news catches more attention than negative news ;)    

Seems to me like NWH vs Moonfall vs Jackass OD could end up in any permutation this weekend,

I mean, you're not wrong lol. But yeah, the sensationalistic nature of the press and how we consume it usually means bad headlines tend to be easier "sells" than good ones, whether that's fair or not - mostly not (this applies to all facets of life, not just when it comes to box office/movie news).

In fact it looks like we're gonna have back-to-back expensive bombs between Moonfall this week and Death on the Nile next with its reported budget of nearly $100M (though safe to say Disney/20th Century took the L on that one a while ago so not really a whole lot to say there).

Moderation

Just gonna say one more thing since I was @ed here and because the Jackass argument last night put me in a bad mood all commute...

You guys do know you don't have to respond to everything right? You know that you have the self-control to ignore somebody when they act up and start acting immature towards you? You guys can recognize when an argument isn't going to go anywhere and will make everybody miserable, right?

All I'm saying is that I suggest all users to think one minute before they post, try and avoid pointless arguments, and above all else, put somebody on your Ignore list if you really don't like somebody. I know you guys are all mature enough to do all the stuff I listed, so put it into practice please.

If anybody has objections or really wants to talk with me about something, please PM me, because I don't want this to go anymore on the public boards.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

and an hour later:

• Astonished 1

I just checked sales near me tonight and Jackass has sold 75 tickets for the night while Moonfall's two shows have sold a grand total of...6 seats holy shit lol. Definitely thinking sub-$10M is more likely than not at this point for the latter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just checked sales near me tonight and Jackass has sold 75 tickets for the night while Moonfall's two shows have sold a grand total of...6 seats holy shit lol. Definitely thinking sub-$10M is more likely than not at this point for the latter.

After seeing the abysmal ticket totals it had last night at my Cinemark last night, I'm inclined to believe this will be the case.

Now Showing: Fewer Movies. Theaters Brace for Dramatic Drop in New Films

The major studios have slated 71 films — ranging from superhero adventures “The Batman,” “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” and “Spider- Man: Across the Spider-Verse” to Jordan Peele’s mind-bender “Nope,” Olivia Wilde’s thriller “Don’t Worry Darling” and James Cameron’s long-awaited “Avatar” sequel — to open in theaters.

That’s a notable uptick compared with 2021 (57 new releases) and 2020 (34 new releases), a stretch that comes with a COVID- shaped asterisk because cinemas spent many months shuttered or operating at reduced capacity. However, the total number of films scheduled for 2022 has decreased from 2019 and 2018 (the most recent “normal” period at the box office), in which 81 movies were released each year. The downturn isn’t only because box office receipts have yet to rebound to pre-pandemic levels; it also reflects the push from studios to bulk up the streaming services owned by their parent companies.

Hollywood Studios Will Release Fewer Movies in Theaters in 2022 - Variety

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Moderation: Not the awards discussion thread. Please stay on topic. We have an entire sub forum for awards talk.

Context. It was an example in response to the trades always focusing on the negative aspects of the weekend numbers. So it’s relevant to the post on the previous page. 

I am here to fuck with some sweet sweet previews hype for Jackass, Moonfall and Uncharted and instead all I see is a HOT MESS. Give me numbers, not this nonsense talk that happened here. Or else you will suffer my wrath.

Spoiler

There is no wrath in me, just pain.

Spoiler

help :sadfleck:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1