Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

Santikos Tracking

Day Movie Format Shows New Sold True Cap % Sold ATP Gross
T-2 Lightyear (EA) PLF 3 329 329 947 34.74% $17.07 $5,615.12
T-3 Lightyear Standard 30 458 458 5,334 8.59% $12.09 $5,537.60

All of the PLF shows are for the early access shows.  Every theater has the same three standard shows on Thursday at this point.

Lightyear T-3 comps

- Sonic 2 - .613x (3.05m)

- FB3 - .413x (2.48m)

- Bob's Burgers - 2.95x (4.43m)

Lightyear + EA comp

- Sonic 2 - 2.29m

The Bad Guys only had sold 37 tickets at this point (14.23m comp)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

its less than an hour into Thor 4 but seems to lack the craziness we saw during even DS2 forget about NWH where the site was down more often than up. Let us see how things go. This has a longer sales cycle and hopefully gets the reviews out earlier. 

On lightyear we have not seen anything crazy. Do we know when the reviews will be out. Nothing about the reviews scream this would be rotten or anything. I am expecting something like onward level. but awareness will be on the up and I am expecting bump in ticket sales this week. I still dont have any handle of where its going to end up as of now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

its less than an hour into Thor 4 but seems to lack the craziness we saw during even DS2 forget about NWH where the site was down more often than up. Let us see how things go. This has a longer sales cycle and hopefully gets the reviews out earlier. 

On lightyear we have not seen anything crazy. Do we know when the reviews will be out. Nothing about the reviews scream this would be rotten or anything. I am expecting something like onward level. but awareness will be on the up and I am expecting bump in ticket sales this week. I still dont have any handle of where its going to end up as of now. 

Lightyear reviews today, guessing Noon-ish?

Thor 4

MTC1 - 5879 shows !!!!

MTC2 - 3185 shows

MTC1 have gone all in for sure. MTC2 will be driven by PS. what do you guys think are good numbers for OD PS. @ZackM if possible trigger it at night time or early morning to get 24 hour data. This should be the easiest movie to do comps as DS2 and NWH would tell the tale and MTC1 would have a big ratio.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Thor 4

MTC1 - 5879 shows !!!!

MTC2 - 3185 shows

MTC1 have gone all in for sure. MTC2 will be driven by PS. what do you guys think are good numbers for OD PS. @ZackM if possible trigger it at night time or early morning to get 24 hour data. This should be the easiest movie to do comps as DS2 and NWH would tell the tale and MTC1 would have a big ratio.  

I expect OD PS to only be about half of DS2.

• Astonished 1

I'm expecting +30M previews for Thor 

With that said, it will get there unlike DS2. 

DS2 started super strong because of the "event" marketing they did and have meh jumps on final days, Thor will probably start way lower but have good jumps once it gets close to release.

56 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Santikos Tracking

Day Movie Format Shows New Sold True Cap % Sold ATP Gross
T-2 Lightyear (EA) PLF 3 329 329 947 34.74% $17.07 $5,615.12
T-3 Lightyear Standard 30 458 458 5,334 8.59% $12.09 $5,537.60

All of the PLF shows are for the early access shows.  Every theater has the same three standard shows on Thursday at this point.

Lightyear T-3 comps

- Sonic 2 - .613x (3.05m)

- FB3 - .413x (2.48m)

- Bob's Burgers - 2.95x (4.43m)

Lightyear + EA comp

- Sonic 2 - 2.29m

The Bad Guys only had sold 37 tickets at this point (14.23m comp)

How are  you formatting your cells into your post? Just wondering using Excel how I might be able to do it without everything being GIGANTIC whenever I try and do it.

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Try Google Sheets instead of Excel.

Ah okay. I don't have much (any) experience with google sheets so that will be a kind of more labwork lol. Thank you I will experiment with it.

35 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

How are  you formatting your cells into your post? Just wondering using Excel how I might be able to do it without everything being GIGANTIC whenever I try and do it.

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Try Google Sheets instead of Excel.

Yeah, I use google sheets as well.  I had to experiment in the beginning to get the chart legible by adjusting and formatting before copy/paste.  All of the borders and fill colors are done in the sheet before pasting in here.

• Like 1

This is still Excel. I will play around with Google to see about playing with it, but even if this is "big" at least its a little tidier than previous and better for at a glance

Lightyear(taken June 13)

Total Seats Sold combined SW and Tor

Thurs 201/18683-percentage 1.08

Fri 362/16227-percentage 2.23

Right-SW means Southern Ontario. Tor is Toronto, Thurs is Thurs, Fri is friday. Seats Rem is seating remaining, ttl Seat is total seats of sold plus remaining. Yes I know prolly obvious but just clarifying with table for any confusions (knowing me I just added more...hahahah....sad laugh)

# theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
SW Thur 10 33 59 6167 6226 0.95
SW Fri 10 36 225 6572 6797 3.31
Tor Thurs 8 39 142 12270 12412 1.14
Tor Fri 7 29 137 9243 9430 1.45
Edited by Tinalera
added text
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Yeah, I use google sheets as well.  I had to experiment in the beginning to get the chart legible by adjusting and formatting before copy/paste.  All of the borders and fill colors are done in the sheet before pasting in here.

Thank you. It will take some time and experimenting for me as well-until I get comfortable will just try this new table format, yes its' bigger but more concise (I hope lol)

So lightyear for where I am with its lower numbers with Thurs/Fri not far off, Im gonna go with a hunch. I think this will be a something families wait for Disney Plus. I think combo of it technically not being a Toy Story movie and theres a different voice actor for Buzz, I just see more families waiting for the streaming. Im also going to go way out on a limb and suggest that Minions might be the movie for families head to theatres to see-not that one property is more popular than the other, but Minions being a prequel I think theres more of a "known quantity" with it. It will certainly be interesting to see how the comps do to Lightyear.

• Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I suppose LY won't be on disney+ after 30 days?

They didn't announce Doctor Strange's June 22 date until the other week so a similar plan would mean the earliest it lands on streaming is...August 3? Although wouldn't be at all surprised if they saved it for Disney+ Day on September 8.

Now to be fair at least with Cineplex most of the IMAX ect screens don't pop into inventory till Wed so theres the possiblity we might see more movement after that. Come Wed the floodgates might open and Im looking very foolish (not the first time lol).