Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

I'm sorry, the AMC site was partly not available for me yesterday. I started to count The Boogeyman and then, in the middle of my counting, the website crashed which is pretty normal. But it didn't recover. Maybe it had to do with all the traffic due to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. Now it works again.

Judging from the 4 theaters where I could count yesterday, Boogeyman's presales for Friday were a bit behind The Invitation and Barbarian. Overall the Friday presales were better than those for Thursday.
For Thursday The Boogeyman had ca. 2/3 of the sales of The Invitation which had 775k from presales = 500k.

New presale numbers in a few hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Nope might be worth looking at ("original" film + director fan base + male-driven + near identical release pattern + same studio).

even if it was, there is no data on dunkirk.

even if there was, it won't be helpful for a 2023 film.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, across the Jat verse said:

Dune will do.

Dune was hybrid. This is pure theatrical and knowing Nolan will keep off streaming for a long time. I wish there was a good comp in last year. May be presales will give an inkling. 

That said this is very limited presales. Only Imax and 70mm shows. So its like sales for Early/Fan shows rather than full presales. We will have to wait until next week to see how much initial allocation its going to get. I think it wont be that big as Barbie is also opening on the same day and I think that is a biggie. 

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

even if it was, there is no data on dunkirk.

even if there was, it won't be helpful for a 2023 film.

I think that was in reply to @cannastop, but I agree -- Dunkirk is mostly outdated from a presales standpoint.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Call an ambulance for those who couldn't get Oppy IMAX tickets.

BUT NOT FOR ME. +14 for Lincoln Square :Venom:

Have fun. I wish I could block my tickets. But I have uncertain plans around its release. But I plan to see it in Metreon in fullest glory. To me this is the movie of the summer. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dune was hybrid. This is pure theatrical and knowing Nolan will keep off streaming for a long time. I wish there was a good comp in last year. May be presales will give an inkling. 

That said this is very limited presales. Only Imax and 70mm shows. So its like sales for Early/Fan shows rather than full presales. We will have to wait until next week to see how much initial allocation its going to get. I think it wont be that big as Barbie is also opening on the same day and I think that is a biggie. 

i believe his contract demanded 120 days theatrical exclusivity

I know different scale and length of sales window, but I’m very much in the camp that Opp will pace more along the TGM/Avatar 2 line, with a bigger early sales level but somewhat softer final week given fan and age skew 

• Like 2

Movie Day Area TC Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Transformers 6 T-7 Jax 5 55 236 236 9,013 2.62%
    Phx 6 56 246 246 10,104 2.43%
    Ral 8 52 210 210 6,776 3.10%
  Total   19 163 692 692 25,893 2.67%
Transformers EA T-6 Jax 5 7 245 245 1,216 20.15%
    Phx 1 1 136 136 208 65.38%
    Ral 1 1 59 59 101 58.42%
  Total   7 9 440 440 1,525 28.85%

Transformers + EA T-7 comps

- NTTD Total - 1.285x (8.09m)

- Ghostbusters Total - 1.915x (8.62m)

- F9 - 1.173x (8.33m)

- Dune - 1.377x (7.02m)

This is much more EA heavy than the others; could end up filling up a lot of those shows by next week.  Thursday sales are sitting at almost exactly 50/50 standard/PLF.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So how's Spider-Verse actually looking to do? I keep reading that Variety and Deadline are lowballing it, but I also haven't seen any proof that the film will be much bigger than speculated, especially a film with a cliffhanger.

Late presales figures are off the charts, looking at 125m OW and potentially beyond atm. If that's not an overperformance idk what is

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 3

Spiderverse MTC3 

Shows: 4241

Seats Sold: 87716/842682 

0.863x GOTG3 (15.1-15.5m depending on which figure you use)

Added 39k in the last two days vs 30k of GOTG3 even without the Atom/Tmobile deal applying to this chain (so it will underindex). 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2