Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Shazam - kinda with @Porthos here, in that it isn't quite clear yet what these early sales (or rather lack of them) mean, other than there is no fan rush (perhaps because its mostly a soft launch, with little fanfare, against a $100M CBM opener and a holiday weekend - wtg WB!). Maybe its indicative of what it is to come, or perhaps the impending DCEU reset has turned Shazam 2 into just another generic action flick - similar to H&S as a F&F spin-off - and less brand heavy comps like Shang-Chi or Uncharted (?) might be more indicative of future trajectory once those are available

Don't want to over-sell my caution here, as the most likely explanation is that it's gonna be a mega bomb.  Just cautioning that there's enough variables in play that it might not be.

• Like 4

It's pretty clear to me that WB is putting zero effort into Shazam 2. Even the trailers (which WB tends to do well with for DC) have been absolute shite. I think if they could have written this off like they did with Batwoman, they wouldn't have thought twice about it. With the big reset coming, they just don't want to put further effort into it - at least with Aquaman the first was so big that it's worth investing in the character moving forward. Shazam has no future with the DCU.

52 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Reactions a week before release is not exactly far out and isn't a sign of anything to be honest.

Agree that is pretty normal and regards to social media reactions. Creed 3 having reactions out 3 weeks before release and reviews a full week speaks confidence. With reaction for S6 out a week before release I'm guessing reviews won't appear until Wednesday or Thursday before its full release.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Don't want to over-sell my caution here, as the most likely explanation is that it's gonna be a mega bomb.  Just cautioning that there's enough variables in play that it might not be.

WB isn't helped by (apparent) test screenings for Aqua 2 are.....going kind of poorly. Hard to say how much any test screenings have effect on, but if Shazam does poorly, and Aqua doesn't do well either, have to wonder how much of that is a collective (conscious or otherwise) response from the news about Gunn doing (another) reboot/reimagining of DC, and the "well if this is a lame duck ending because Gunn is rebooting, why bother" type of thing. 

Have to keep an eye on DC films for the final few before Gunns restart to see if people are either A waiting for Gunn's or B (and worse), just eventually get a "why bother"? 

• Like 1

AMC FRIDAY NIGHT SHOWINGS - GREATER ORLANDO REGION 

SHAZAM!

T-23

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.7%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

NEW SHOWINGS ADDED

Thought I would see how thing are going in Central Florida, since CBM's tend to perform strong here

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Reactions a week before release is not exactly far out and isn't a sign of anything to be honest.

For a horror movie yes it is, studios easily embargo reviews and reactions until the day of release if necessary with almost all bad received horror movies 

Reviews for Cocaine Bear will drop 30 minutes before the previews starting for example, let´s see how this one goes 

But yes, it´s kinda early for Scream 

• Like 1

Do you guys think that the spring break factor might be throwing off shazam presales? Since high school and college kids who otherwise might be prebuying tickets have free time they might just choose to walk up at an otherwise inaccessible hour for them? or should it be the opposite where the free time off should bolster sales thus far out?

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

Do you guys think that the spring break factor might be throwing off shazam presales? Since high school and college kids who otherwise might be prebuying tickets have free time they might just choose to walk up at an otherwise inaccessible hour for them? or should it be the opposite where the free time off should bolster sales thus far out?

I think the most common spring break week is that second full week of March, and Shazam comes out at the end of that period.

You probably have a lot of parents with uncertain plans, but, I'd say the timing of that being at the end of the week, anyone trying to take advantage of their weekdays off to get in a matinee only have that Friday afternoon as an option, so it should improve sales.

3 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

This could be a factor. Holding off until spring break to walk up makes sense. 

3 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

This factor would boost walkups for previews but would decrease internal multi commensurately, and given how staggered spring break tends to be, it should make very little difference anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

I think the most common spring break week is that second full week of March, and Shazam comes out at the end of that period.

You probably have a lot of parents with uncertain plans, but, I'd say the timing of that being at the end of the week, anyone trying to take advantage of their weekdays off to get in a matinee only have that Friday afternoon as an option, so it should improve sales.

If this is the case then that makes Scream VI even more of a winner. I can totally see the teen crowd showing up en masse throughout the weekend and week to catch it.