Eric is Quiet

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

5 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I think it will pass that no problem. 

Yesterday was a big hit thanks to parts of Canada closing down completely, and further restrictions in others. 

I think it'll pass 25 million with ease, and likely another 25 million tomorrow. 
For me, anything 600m+ final total is great. We cannot ignore a raging pandemic.

Last year WW84 finished below 50 million total. Just think how far we've come!

Tomorrow will go up at least 15% over whatever it does today and perhaps upwards of 25% with Friday being an official holiday. 

• Like 1

Matrix has sold out both IMAX showings today near me....but they are at 3:30 and 10:30, and Spider-Man has several more plus all the Dolbys. Matrix also near sold out on the four showings it had up until yesterday evening, but the showings they added yesterday have sold nothing. So selling well enough but just so weirdly positioned between lack of PLFs, overall showings, and MAX. I disagree with any assertion that there is zero interest in this franchise like a couple said, though. I expect a press release announcing top three MAX viewership for sure.

• Like 4

The Omicron-induced cancellations for live events are 100% hospitalization-related.

There's a major resistance to avoid cancelling all the fun of Christmas/New Year's for the second year in a row, so it's easier to just call off live events that would require too many moving parts to put together successfully.

So just for fun

Sony Spider-Man crossed $700M WW yesterday with a cume that stands at $751.3M. Many analysts believe a $1 billion is feasible for the latest MCU title even without China in the mix,

guess who or what site is the bright one .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Don't think Cinemascore was overhyped at all. I believe it would have gotten an A+ even on Friday night. But that's not the case for most fandom driven movies. But an A+ on Friday would've been much more of a gauge of wom than an A+ on Thursday night. And I don't know a single casual moviegoer who takes the time to verify their ticket and vote on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Sure, but we have 2 years of RT verified user score data. It lines up fairly closely with cinemascore. (1) fandom movies are a bit higher and (2) kids movies have a lot weaker correlation but they're pretty solidly conveying information that tracks with what we see from more reliable sources.

• Like 2

Lol at King's Man RT audience score approaching rotten. I saw it yesterday and understand why it won't be that well liked. It's pretty low energy and has a couple of sequences that were entertaining along with a story choice I found annoying. 

I could see some pretty great late legs if Quebec reopens theaters in like, mid-late January or something. 

Lots of demand unable to be met here. Even if it's only a few million $, by the end of a movie's run, a few million $ can result in big week-to-week % change

Add in the rest of Canada if any other Province also closes theaters during the holidays and I could see like $10M boost in late legs

• Like 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again; what was the point of a Kingsman prequel? Golden Circle already made people lose a lot of goodwill to the franchise, so you were going to drop no matter what. Plus Vaughn was developing this movie during the Disney buyout process, so the franchise was on even shakier ground than it was when GC first came out. Why not just make one more movie with Egerton and Firth, tie up whatever loose ends or plot threads, and give a good closure for poor saps like me who like Golden Circle? Because now we aren't getting that. And if you want to do a prequel, just wait a while and have it be some splashy Hulu Original Movie, problem solved.

• Like 7

https://deadline.com/2021/12/spider-man-no-way-home-tuesday-box-office-kings-man-previews-1234900706/

In second place among regular released movies was Disney’s Encantowhich hits Disney+ on Friday, earning an estimated $1.5M at 3,525, +11% from Monday for a running total of $84.3M. Disney also owned 3rd with 20th Century Studios/Amblin’s West Side Story making an estimated $804K at 2,820 venues, +13% from Monday, for a running total of $19.7M. Sony’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife ranked 4th with $636K, +21%, at 3,295 locations for a running total in its fifth week of $118.4M. MGM/UAR’s House of Gucci, booked at 1,907, saw $382K, +4% from Monday and a running stateside cume of $45.8M, while Searchlight’s Nightmare Alley, at 2,145 theaters, made $382K, +12% for a five day total of $3.5M.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again; what was the point of a Kingsman prequel? Golden Circle already made people lose a lot of goodwill to the franchise, so you were going to drop no matter what. Plus Vaughn was developing this movie during the Disney buyout process, so the franchise was on even shakier ground than it was when GC first came out. Why not just make one more movie with Egerton and Firth, tie up whatever loose ends or plot threads, and give a good closure for poor saps like me who like Golden Circle? Because now we aren't getting that. And if you want to do a prequel, just wait a while and have it be some splashy Hulu Original Movie, problem solved.

Yes. I would have been a lot more interested in this if it had Eggsy instead of some knockoff. 

The King's Man was one of the last Fox movies that was made (like, filmed and everything) before the Disney sale. Had it been given the green light right before right before the sale happened, it likely would've been one of those projects that simply never materialized.

• Sad 1