EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m still amazed West Side Story hasn’t even hit $30m or a 3x multiplier yet. 

When it opened I thought it could have done 5x it’s opening with the holidays lol. Such a shame, what a great film but literally no one cares. In any country. 

I just don't understand why they thought we'd risk COVID to watch a West Side Story remake from the guy behind Ready Player One.

• Haha 1

For the final Christmas break weekend only having two films above $5M, it really doesn't bode well for January. There doesn't seem like much in the way of awards hopefuls that are generating enough in limited release to get decent expansions. 

With a pretty weak January slate, I'm not sure what you even fill the multiplexes with over the next few weeks. 

Looks like Spider-Man will be holding onto IMAX screens for a while until Morbius (guess they figured Scream wasn't worth releasing in the format). Between that and no competition until then the drops should be good in the weeks ahead, especially with a 4-day holiday in two weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vafrow said:

For the final Christmas break weekend only having two films above $5M, it really doesn't bode well for January. There doesn't seem like much in the way of awards hopefuls that are generating enough in limited release to get decent expansions. 

With a pretty weak January slate, I'm not sure what you even fill the multiplexes with over the next few weeks. 

Spidey legs out with sub 20% drops, xD

8 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

By how much did Sony overestimate the Sunday drop of -38%? Basically the same drop as TFA, but it was after a flat Jan 2.

Some of the Sunday drops do look they'll go up overall. Today's the end of the holiday period for most people.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, vafrow said:

My Cinemarks are branching off from their normal filler (films from India), and now are also doing subbed and dubbed anime films from Japan...they already booked another one to replace RRR moving...

15 minutes ago, vafrow said:

100% this. Me and my GM has about an hour long discussion last night about how dire the next few months look while going over the Q1 release schedule.

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

100% this. Me and my GM has about an hour long discussion last night about how dire the next few months look while going over the Q1 release schedule.

Yep, i hope they won't think of moving The Batman. Slim chance, but who knows.

January/early February is typically the time of the year where studios just dump a whole bunch of garbage aside from maybe a tentpole or two that would make money anywhere (guess Morbius is the closest thing to filling that void this year). But alas, studios are being more selective about what they green light with the dumps being sent to die on streaming these days.

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Q1 might be bad if you are a 3x/week movie subscriber, but if you're looking for good material 1-2x/month for Jan/Feb, there's enough material coming out...and March onward will be good...

I know here, we'll probably see Scream (boys) and Morbius (whole fam) and Death on the Nile (date night or girls' night)...and then we'll kick off March with The Batman (whole fam)...we may see more, but 4 movies in about 10 weeks will make us happy if we do no more...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

LP gross this week is a bit disappointing (-35%) considering the movie only have 2 days wide debut, instead of 3 in last weekend. Likely final total at around 10m, unless they are expanding to 2000+ locations. 

I think the gross is fine so far. You have to look at the context of the year, these movies are struggling. It's mostly stayed flat during the weekday and hasn't added or lost theaters this week. It also aims younger since old audiences are not seeing this and West Side Story and this weekend was New Years. It'll outgross Belfast's 7m with almost half the theaters. Should come near French Dispatch

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It got shoved to puny theaters in its second weekend for obvious reasons and was never able to fully recover. With an Oscar bump the next few months it's likely headed for $40-45M, but given how close to anything that isn't a comic book tentpole or low-budget horror hasn't come close to living up to their potential in the COVID era, not that bad. It's still gonna finish among the top 35 movies of 2021, even if that speaks more to the lack of depth in the marketplace still than anything else.

That doesn’t explain why its undererformed in every single country though. I still think it has had a really dreadful run. A shame because I loved the film. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Looks like Spider-Man will be holding onto IMAX screens for a while until Morbius (guess they figured Scream wasn't worth releasing in the format). Between that and no competition until then the drops should be good in the weeks ahead, especially with a 4-day holiday in two weeks.

Do you usually get R rated horror films in IMAX? 

We never have here in the UK. So I’d imagine it’s not because Scream “wasn’t worth it”. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This is true. NYC/LA Twitter crowd wants to make it look like only certain types of shows are popular. So they overtrend them on social media while in reality most people watch something entirely different. Cobra Kai is a great example. It's a super popular show that doesn't get nearly as much media and certain social media hype because it doesn't check the boxes of "what we think people should watch but they don't dammit". It's similar to, for example, low-rated shows such as Batgirl (or is it Batwoman?) always trending for their new lower and lower rated episodes because certain crowd wants to create an illusion of popularity. But that doesn't change the fact they are not watched likely not even by the crowd that tries to prop them. 

That sounds more like you are putting the cart in front of the horse to me. Things overtrend on social media, because social media happens to not be representative of the general audience. It has nothing to do with "trying to create an illusiuon of popularity" or certain people trying to make something look more popular than it is, and everything to do with the followers of the show being overrepresented on social media.

It requires a somewhat decent social media presence to push something on social media. Something won't trend if you don't even have a noteworthy amount of people talking about it on social media, thus making it exactly the other way round from what you describe. You cannot create something out of thin air, nor can a negligible following somehow push something against the masses.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

If were talking about Seasons 5-8 (and especially 7 and 8): yes, absolutely, 100% agree.

Seasons 1-4: No.

Talking overall. But of course it is the later seasons that are to blame — all that setup is rather diminished when it’s setting up… that.