EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

4 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Extrapolating off of the other 4 $150M+ openers in December, we'd be looking at the following runs...

TFA = $773.8M

R1 = $767.9M 

TLJ = $735.3M 

TROS = $699.5M

Composite = $744.1M 

Let's hope it gets there, despite Quebec and Ontario now going offline. I mean I'm not too worried at the moment, and I'm just glad No Way Home hit a billion, but, we'll see.

7 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Extrapolating off of the other 4 $150M+ openers in December, we'd be looking at the following runs...

TFA = $773.8M

R1 = $767.9M 

TLJ = $735.3M 

TROS = $699.5M

Composite = $744.1M 

Probably looking at 10M lower than that now that Canada is done. 

28 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Judging from past year data and some reference from South Africa and Germany, the current NWH wave should peak in mid-Jan and likely start decline until next MCU event.

Maybe Canadians should prep for the possibility that they may not see The Batman in March and might wanna prep to stay home and isolate and save their money for Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness at the start of the summer (or maybe for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in April).

Edited by Movies4Life
  • Haha 1

Hopefully no one gets utterly disappointed if SM: NWH doesn’t beat Avatar’s $760M DOM gross in the long run. Both NWH & Avatar’s grosses are still impressive as they are. 👩🏻‍💼🙏🏻

All movies that makes/made over $700M+ DOM or more, are very well-received by critics.

So glad I watched the movie today.

Was amazing and epic and left me in good spirits and good memories.

Film is a superhero classic and will leave me happy even though I look into our Canadian winter wasteland of lockdowns forever.

🙏

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

So the year 2021 closed out with 4.55bn. I thought the market can hit $5bn but some mishap here and there, from NTTD & Eternals underperformance, to Matrix 4 & TSS bomb, to almost zero presence of surprise hit since reopening and the completely drained small/mid-sized market, the market failed to even hit half of the 2019. And, for 2nd year in a row, China is the biggest box office market of the world which domestic may not be able to reclaim it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So the year 2021 closed out with 4.55bn. I thought the market can hit $5bn but some mishap here and there, from NTTD & Eternals underperformance, to Matrix 4 & TSS bomb, to almost zero presence of surprise hit since reopening and the completely drained small/mid-sized market, the market failed to even hit half of the 2019. And, for 2nd year in a row, China is the biggest box office market of the world which domestic may not be able to reclaim it.

Wonder when China will be able to claim the title for #1 WW film of the year (since Japan snatched it last year).

3 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Wonder when China will be able to claim the title for #1 WW film of the year (since Japan snatched it last year).

Unless there is a big shift in how Chinese films do worldwide or another "event" like COVID at some point, then never. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

What's stopping China from putting out more fake numbers to take the #1 spot this year?

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

So glad I watched the movie today.

Was amazing and epic and left me in good spirits and good memories.

Film is a superhero classic and will leave me happy even though I look into our Canadian winter wasteland of lockdowns forever.

🙏

Welcome to the lockdown club :sarah:

I have never been so glad to go watch a movie (NWH) on a whim than when I did so on December 19th (literally the day before cinemas closed)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

no, they can always re-release like with Endgame. It rallies fans to the cause and Ontarians and Quebecois would be aboard for their theatrical  experience got cut way short. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1