Eric S'ennui

MLK 2021 Weekend Thread | Scream 3.5 Previews

Matrix is by far one of the most affected box office performances by the release strategy. In a normal weekend mid Summer with no pandemic or day & date on streaming it would have opened with 60M or more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Matrix is by far one of the most affected box office performances by the release strategy. In a normal weekend mid Summer with no pandemic or day & date on streaming it would have opened with 60M or more.

Yeah Matrix was a combination of bad ideas with the hybrid release and closely following the first major event movie in years. Not to mention not getting to take full advantage of IMAX and premium formats. If they pushed it to literally any weekend from February through May I could see it opening to $70m or so assuming it was theatrical only.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Yeah Matrix was a combination of bad ideas with the hybrid release and closely following the first major event movie in years. Not to mention not getting to take full advantage of IMAX and premium formats. If they pushed it to literally any weekend from February through May I could see it opening to $70m or so assuming it was theatrical only.

WB did the same thing with Detective Pikachu. That movie was poised for a monster run but they decided to release it right after Endgame

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

If Endgame had been delayed to July last minute Pika might make like 10% more.  It didn’t come out on day 5 like Matrix, it was day 14 when Endgame was just normal sized competition.

this gotta be the dumbest take ever.

pika pika was bound to do $300M OW, but EG did that so there was no point of just copying someone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

this gotta be the dumbest take ever.

pika pika was bound to do $300M OW, but EG did that so there was no point of just copying someone.

Pika was too scared to try 457 so went for 57 instead, sad 😢 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, YourMother said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Shrek 5 gets a 2024/25 release. I can see Dreamworks trying to fast track it.

Universal and DreamWorks would get more mileage and money out of making a live action remake. There's more parody material in spoofing the Disney live action remakes rather than just another Shrek sequel.

Edited by Jonwo

8 hours ago, The Panda said:

WB did the same thing with Detective Pikachu. That movie was poised for a monster run but they decided to release it right after Endgame

Completely agree. Pika Pika would have obliterard the record books if it wasnt for Endgame stealing all the theater seats. It was outrageous, it was unfair. I mean, how can you be part of the box office, but not be granted the rank of a 300M Opener?

• Thanks 2

To this day I'm still disappointed Detective Pikachu didn't really end up going anywhere. I'd much rather have Legendary doing Nintendo movies based on weird high-concept ideas than the Minion Factory and their soulless machines. Shame. Hopefully Illumination stays away from Kirby at least. The thought of James Corden as Dedede is nauseating to say the least.

That being said, I don't think Endgame is the sole reason as to why Pikachu underperformed. The first trailer was likely seen as a fun proof of concept/parody trailer by the general public and there ultimately wasn't much interest in a full movie about that.

I hear Netflix is taking a crack at live-action Pokemon next. Hopefully it works out this time.

To go back to my point about Shrek, it does surprise me that Universal hasn't considered a live action Shrek considering the amount money that Disney has made from remaking their animated canon into live action films especially the big titles. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To go back to my point about Shrek, it does surprise me that Universal hasn't considered a live action Shrek considering the amount money that Disney has made from remaking their animated canon into live action films especially the big titles. 

I will only accept that if Shrek is played by Mark Ruffalo with the same tech used to bring Professor Hulk to life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

I will only accept that if Shrek is played by Mark Ruffalo with the same tech used to bring Professor Hulk to life.

I'm not sure if Mark Ruffalo can do a Scottish accent... 

In terms of other live action remakes, I wouldn't object to WB doing The Iron Giant as a live action film and actually it would resonate now compared to 20 years ago.

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Dont give them ideas.

• Haha 1