Eric Loves Rey

MLK 2021 Weekend Thread | Scream 3.5 Previews

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

First instinct was Friday but Ice Cube is at odds with WB/New Line and the last one in 2002 did only 33m. Barbershop in 2016 did 54m, not exactly inspiring. There's been talks of a third Shanghai film but Knights made 60m (while first made 54m). Rush Hour is worth the risk as both a comeback for Tucker and Jackie. The 3rd pulled off 140m in a crowded 2007 summer with Superbad, Chuck and Larry and Knocked Up. Ratner can't direct it, though. 

Obvious answer is a 23 Jump Street

There were 2 Friday movies after the first one and neither did especially well but they made them because there was still home video at that time to help.

The issue with reviving franchises once we get past the 90s is that none of them truly went away, we probably still have the same franchises going from 2001.

The 2001 top movies of the year have either had or will have a new installment within the past 5 years/ next 2 years for a large majority of them. Here's the top 15 for 2001

1. Potter - Fantastic Beasts 3 is coming, there was a reunion special

2. Shrek - only a matter of time

3. Monsters Inc - ongoing show on Disney+

4. Rush Hour 2 - the outlier 

5. The Mummy Returns - Dark Universe anyone?

6. Pearl Harbor - hard to sequelize this one

7. Jurassic Park 3 - there's a movie coming in June

8. Planet of the Apes - a movie is in development after a successful trilogy ended in 2017

9. Hannibal - was on TV as 2 different offshoot shows

10. Lord of the Rings - Amazon show coming soon

11. American Pie 2 - Maybe time to revive it?

12. Fast and the furious - still ongoing

13. Oceans Eleven - We had Oceans 8 in 2018

14. Tomb Raider - new movie is in development again

15. Traffic - hopefully never being revived

That's a lot of franchises which are ongoing with the same continuity from 21 years ago.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they should do black knight 2 would be huge. black knight nostalgia is at an all time high (i just rewatched it last week. first time someone has done that in years).

I literally just saw Tubi promote movies for MLK day and it was a weird assortment of Black Knight, New Jack City and A Time To Kill.

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they should do black knight 2 would be huge. black knight nostalgia is at an all time high (i just rewatched it last week. first time someone has done that in years).

They’re doing a Disney+ series for him ;) 

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I literally just saw Tubi promote movies for MLK day and it was a weird assortment of Black Knight, New Jack City and A Time To Kill.

it's honestly pretty funny. it has exactly one joke (old timey thing happens - cut to martin lawrence mugging reaction) but i had a good time. passes the six laugh test.

1 minute ago, Eric Riley said:

Shrek 5 fascinates me, as it is a film that will showcase just how powerful meme culture is with the general public. And I don't know if I should be excited or scared.

it should honestly just be ott incomprehensible deep fried dank meme youtube poop bullshit. just go all out with it full avant garde.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

Shrek 5 fascinates me, as it is a film that will showcase just how powerful meme culture is with the general public. And I don't know if I should be excited or scared.

NWH already sort of did that. 

Edited by WittyUsername

3 hours ago, Eric Riley said:

Still mad that MIB 23 never materialized. They really wasted the time of all parties with it in development hell and now Sony has two dead franchises.

on the other-hand, a bonafide legacy sequel for Men in Black would likely do well in about five years with Will Smith passing the torch, hire me sony

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

HK opening day in Canada was $750k out of $22.8M overall NA. Without ON & Quebec probably $350k, so its mostly a rounding error.

WTF is HK?  I'm talking about Scream 5.

I don't think there's any comedy franchises that can be successfully revived tbh. Especially when a number of them (Meet the Parents, The Hangover, etc.) spawned crummy sequels that already left a bad taste in too many mouths.

It's telling that the people behind the biggest comedies of the 90s and 2000s (Adam McKay, Jay Roach, Todd Phillips, Peter Farrelly, Chris Weitz) have completely branched out into other genres.