Eric Prime

Horizon Part 1 | Kevin Costner-directed Western | June 28, 2024

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Parasite said:

I guess there also might be some controversy over the depiction of indigenous people and women.

This kind of controversy is a default thing for the genre, twitter goblins need to complain about something.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2

also might be some controversy over the depiction of [...] women.

ehm...

Deadline:

Refreshingly, Horizon includes a large number of meaty roles for women, not usually the case in this type of film. But there are plenty here, led by fierce pioneer woman Frances Kittredge who has, not so willingly, come along to the settlement with her husband. Sienna Miller plays her with force and she promises to be a key component going forward. Jena Malone’s Ellen is also a highlight, a feisty and badass female who will get into some dangerous situations unfortunately. Abbey Lee’s Marigold, who boards with Ellen and her well-intentioned husband Walt (Michael Angarano), is another strong female role here, as are those played by Ella Hunt as a British settler coming west with her husband, and Isabelle Fuhrman as Diamond, who with her sisters is making her way west and potential for a sweetened storyline down the road no doubt.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

a couple of the negative reviews (from both Letterboxd and publications) seem to be explicitly complaining about how "representation" is handled; I imagine getting culture war'd is actually a good thing for this, especially because of how anemic international marketing has been looking

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just read something about Costner's character that might throw viewers off.

He doesn't even show up until an hour into the film.

Interested how audiences will react and what the scores will look like lol. 

Seems one of the chief complaints is that it's not really a standalone film and very much serves as just set up, laying the foundation for Chapters 2-4. I can def appreciate that as an issue but also, Chapter 2 is a month and a half later, not multiple years like other Part Ones as of late :P

The tepid response to this makes the decision to offload the two chapters weeks apart and marketing them together (instead of attempting to build hype with a more spaced out release) a logical choice tbh.

I don’t even care much for Costners body of work as a director (Dances with Wolves is a bore and whatever bits of Waterworld I watched as a kid looked stupid) but I am rooting for it just because I’d like to see an old school western become a hit

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, AniNate said:

I think if you're a major studio you probably should do like a test screening for critics before submitting your high profile movie to a film festival.

Most test screenings are directed at it’s target audience. 

Maybe they showed to western fans and they loved, so they was confident. 

Or, more likely, since this is fully a Coster movie, there wasn’t any test screening and he was just confident in it and it blowed in his face.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don’t even care much for Costners body of work as a director (Dances with Wolves is a bore and whatever bits of Waterworld I watched as a kid looked stupid) but I am rooting for it just because I’d like to see an old school western become a hit

If any western has a shot at breaking out...it's this one. I fully expect it to surprise since the majority of its audience is offline and older.