Eric the Minion

Meg 2: The Trench (aka 2 Meg 2 Furious) | August 4, 2023 | Filming starts now

This looks silly and fun, but I bet it’ll have a huge drop from the first film at the box office because the first one didn’t deliver on its promise. 

I’d rather the Meg was finally eating people instead of dinosaurs. 

And the “this looks ridiculous when can I book tickets” doesn’t translate to the general audiences whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if this made less than $60m. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This looks silly and fun, but I bet it’ll have a huge drop from the first film at the box office because the first one didn’t deliver on its promise. 

And the “this looks ridiculous when can I book tickets” doesn’t translate to the general audiences whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if this made less than $60m. 

You're underestimating general audiences' taste in movies. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I disagree I can see this opening around the same as the first. The trailer has already racked up 6.2M views on youtube in less than w4 hours and the reception is mostly positive. No way this misses $60M, I think it's locked for $100M DOM. It has a prime release date with August being shark season and a lot of people will go to the movies just for that. 

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I disagree I can see this opening around the same as the first. The trailer has already racked up 6.2M views on youtube in less than w4 hours and the reception is mostly positive. No way this misses $60M, I think it's locked for $100M DOM. It has a prime release date with August being shark season and a lot of people will go to the movies just for that. 

I think it has an uphill battle with the last film not being very well liked. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The last film was already 5 years ago. I could be totally wrong, but I feel like the pandemic has accelerated how quickly movies have "aged" and how people have "forgotten" pre-pandemic content. Stuff like Game of Thrones, Endgame, The Meg, the Sequel Trilogy all feel like they're from another time.

I don't think there's much remembrance of The Meg other than "oh that stupid one where Jason Statham fights a giant shark."

On 5/9/2023 at 12:19 PM, Krissykins said:

It wasn't hated though. It got moderate reception. First Meg had good legs at the boxoffice. I mean this trailer is #1 trending on youtube right now. People are interested and a great release date without much competition.

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 1

This is the kind of movie where the novelty matters more than the last movie being 5 years ago or not very liked 

It’s a gigantic monster destroying everything in very fun ways … kinda like Jurassic franchise, the idea will never be boring or unnapealing 

I honestly think this will open just like the first one or bigger considering inflation … having a huge Chinese moviestar in it will also help OS

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is the kind of movie where the novelty matters more than the last movie being 5 years ago or not very liked 

It’s a gigantic monster destroying everything in very fun ways … kinda like Jurassic franchise, the idea will never be boring or unnapealing 

I honestly think this will open just like the first one or bigger considering inflation … having a huge Chinese moviestar in it will also help OS

I agree, the only thing it needs to do is provide a good time. It's not going to be the next SW or MCU. 

I have a feeling that we're going to see a repeat of 2018 where WB dominated August.

• Like 1

In his September 2020 newsletter, Alten confirmed the script, titled Meg 2: The Trench, to be complete, expressing interest in its "dark" tone and potential for an R-rating (as opposed to the first film's PG-13).

So much for that idea