filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Coda would honestly make a worse BP winner than Green Book. The worst since Crash imo.

I'd say it's worse than Crash which is impressive. Crash is a horrible politically muddled film, but CODA is hardly a movie, and hardly anything better than a Disney channel program. The complete lack of craft on display and uninspired plotting is amateur hour

Not seen it but how does such a terrible movie achieve to get such good reviews (MC, RT), audience score and industry reconnaissance (according to the people that find it terrible) ?

Any idea, just terrible COVID era competition or beloved people involved at some level ?

11 minutes ago, Joel M said:

The lenghts they will go to not give netflix best picture lol. 

I've been saying for a while that Power of the Dog winning Best Picture is highly unlikely because it's a Netflix film.

CODA's chances aren't that much higher either though. It's still a streaming film, and many in the industry still turn up their noses at those.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Belfast or West Side Story get the win. They're as classic and old-school as one can get these days.

37 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've been saying for a while that Power of the Dog winning Best Picture is highly unlikely because it's a Netflix film.

CODA's chances aren't that much higher either though. It's still a streaming film, and many in the industry still turn up their noses at those.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Belfast or West Side Story get the win. They're as classic and old-school as one can get these days.

No, CODA is winning. 

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not seen it but how does such a terrible movie achieve to get such good reviews (MC, RT), audience score and industry reconnaissance (according to the people that find it terrible) ?

Any idea, just terrible COVID era competition or beloved people involved at some level ?

It wouldn't be Oscar season without its perceived "villains."

As a fan of CODA and its excellent cast, I would be cool with it winning Best Picture. It's this year's Little Movie That Could. Not the flashiest filmmaking but not sure how you could approach such material otherwise.

It's just funny to me the entire concept of Apple beating Netflix to a Best Picture win despite the former being relatively new to the awards season game and the latter working overtime especially the past few years to score the top prize between Roma losing to Green Book (despite all of Film Twitter doing the most in trying to take down the latter), The Irishman and Marriage Story combined going home empty-handed aside from Dern, Chicago 7 winning nothing (though to be fair, that was an acquisition from Paramount during the worst of the pandemic so technically it wasn't entirely theirs to begin with), and now The Power of the Dog looking to potentially lose to a fellow streamer despite having frontrunner status all season long.

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I like Power of the Dog a bit more than CODA but the almost cringe hate I've seen CODA get here and elsewhere makes it's potential BP win extremely funny and schadenfreude

People who call CODA a Disney/Hallmark/Lifetime movie haven't really seen what those networks have been releasing for the last decade or two, huh? Then, the protests that a remake winning would be the ruination of the Oscars, when it's happened at least twice already (Ben-Hur and The Departed) and nobody really cared at the time. "A movie with no below-the-line nominations winning Best Picture spits in the face of the crafts, ABC must be thrilled!" People are being soooo melodramatic. They've followed the Oscars for years and are shocked, shocked that the winner isn't always the most technically impressive or the one with the highest Metacritic score? Come on, now.

It's really interesting to watch people who typically go on about diversity and inclusion get Big Mad about CODA potentially winning. Not to say that the Deaf community unanimously loves the movie, but the awards junkies gnashing their teeth right now on social media barely know/care about those issues.

Also, it's not like there aren't complaints about the way The Power of the Dog portrays gay/queer characters-not in a Sam Elliott way, but about the character arcs/plot being regressive. Like that anonymous ballot said, pretty much every Western since the 1960s has been revisionist, so it's not anything groundbreaking at this point. I liked TPotD but don't see how it's doing anything innovative/fresh in the world of film, either. So, in the end, it's just a matter of which movie the voters like better.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

I quite liked CODA when I saw it back in the summer but I never thought it was an awards movie I was surprised to see it in there when the nominations came out. There are like 5 CODAs coming out of Sundance annually that never go anywhere. Not sure why this is the one that’s going to go the distance. Must be the Apple $$$$.

• Like 1

There's a legit chance that CODA wins all 3 of its nominations at this point, which would the first time a Best Picture winner pulled off a sweep since...Return of the King (with nearly 4x the number of nominations)? Sorta wild stuff. WGA tonight will be interesting.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

People who call CODA a Disney/Hallmark/Lifetime movie haven't really seen what those networks have been releasing for the last decade or two, huh? Then, the protests that a remake winning would be the ruination of the Oscars, when it's happened at least twice already (Ben-Hur and The Departed) and nobody really cared at the time. "A movie with no below-the-line nominations winning Best Picture spits in the face of the crafts, ABC must be thrilled!" People are being soooo melodramatic. They've followed the Oscars for years and are shocked, shocked that the winner isn't always the most technically impressive or the one with the highest Metacritic score? Come on, now.

It's really interesting to watch people who typically go on about diversity and inclusion get Big Mad about CODA potentially winning. Not to say that the Deaf community unanimously loves the movie, but the awards junkies gnashing their teeth right now on social media barely know/care about those issues.

Also, it's not like there aren't complaints about the way The Power of the Dog portrays gay/queer characters-not in a Sam Elliott way, but about the character arcs/plot being regressive. Like that anonymous ballot said, pretty much every Western since the 1960s has been revisionist, so it's not anything groundbreaking at this point. I liked TPotD but don't see how it's doing anything innovative/fresh in the world of film, either. So, in the end, it's just a matter of which movie the voters like better.

CODA is just a bad move with no visual flair and manipulative, shrill plotting. It's that simple. Yes, it's a landmark for diversity but that doesn't absolve it. It isn't the only film in the lineup with diversity. But it made people cry which is what they want from movies, their emotions coddled. POTD didn't have that

If Coda pulls it off, it will be a very similar run to Parasite, including peaking at literally the exact right time.

Wonder if it's too late to have an upset in the directors race or is Campion just too entrenched?

Also, if Netflix can't pull it off in the 2 years that the rest of Hollywood took off for the most part and no box office pressures dictating anything, it will be really hard to see them do it in the future unless it's undeniable.

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If Coda pulls it off, it will be a very similar run to Parasite, including peaking at literally the exact right time.

Wonder if it's too late to have an upset in the directors race or is Campion just too entrenched?

Also, if Netflix can't pull it off in the 2 years that the rest of Hollywood took off for the most part and no box office pressures dictating anything, it will be really hard to see them do it in the future unless it's undeniable.

I think Campion's safe for the win. If she loses, then we can start to speculate if her comments hurt her. As it stands, if she wins and Power of the Dog loses the top prize then it will just be clear that the movie was always a vulnerable frontrunner despite overperforming in nominations.

Edited by filmlover

58 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Netflix probably isn't going to win Best Picture until they figure out how to give their contenders a second wind during the heart of Oscar voting. The Power of the Dog still could take it, but it would be limping to the finish line at this point.

I saw a comment along these lines the year Parasite won-it was an October release but didn't play in 1,000+ theaters until late January. A streaming movie can't use that strategy, but maybe Netflix could use a lighter hand with their push? At least at the start, because it seems like Netflix goes pretty hard for months with their number one and voters are just over it by Oscar night.

Netflix also might want to go with movies that will be loved vs admired but deemed "cold" by the public and the less auteur-loving voters. It's less an issue of subject matter than tone. I bet their thought was that if they leaned super hard into Very Directed Cinematic Masterpieces, that AMPAS would be won over, despite the Netflix of it all. So far, they've ended up with movies the Academy hasn't really warmed to.

Competition is a part of it, too, sometimes the movie to admire can win if they don't really love anything else in the field. But that part of it is out of Netflix’s control.