filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

CODA a nice movie that's gonna get shit on a bunch until the end of time because now everyone is gonna watch it with best picture expectations instead of cute little sundance family dramedy expectations.

A lot of past best picture winners could be described this way as well.

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Can someone answer what the big incident last year was?

Also, people are saying this is a "make up Oscar" for Chastain. For what film ?

The last award being Best Actor. Joaquin Phoenix being checked out and then Hopkins upsetting Bozeman and the ceremony being awkwardly played off.

Just now, excel1 said:

Can someone answer what the big incident last year was?

Also, people are saying this is a "make up Oscar" for Chastain. For what film ?

There was no big incident at last year's Oscar. The only thing that stood out like a sore thumb about that ceremony is that they moved the Best Actor to last expecting Chadwick to win instead of sticking to tradition where Best Picture is the final award of the night only for Hopkins to win and found themselves accused in some circles of exploiting Chadwick's death for ratings/publicity. 

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

CODA a nice movie that's gonna get shit on a bunch until the end of time because now everyone is gonna watch it with best picture expectations instead of cute little sundance family dramedy expectations.

Maybe/maybe not, I feel that's a movie (like Green Book) almost everyone will adore if they decide to watch it, even with high expectation. 

Few movies, made me cry more than CODA, and it did it in new ways, I did find it extremely well crafted some exposition was not easy and really well done.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

CODA's trajectory from an also-ran on nomination morning to a Best Picture winner has been fun to watch. I wonder how many more nominations it could have picked up if it had caught on earlier.

Overall, this ceremony was a dud. The hosts didn't work - Regina Hall on her own might have been fine, but the trio didn't work well together and Amy Schumer's bits bombed especially badly. The decision to hand out 8 awards early went off as poorly as expected (nice "seamless" integration there, showrunners). Attempting to bank on audience awards backfired spectacularly, and even the We Don't Talk About Bruno number feels even more pointless after Dos Oruguitas didn't win Original Song (though the film itself did at least pick up a win earlier in the evening). And, of course, the Will Smith/Chris Rock debacle that will surely be the focal point of most of tomorrow's postmortems.

That said, there were two little things I loved: Ariana DeBose becoming the first out actor to win, and Elliot Page actually getting to go to the Oscars as himself and present Original Screenplay.

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I got really confused when I first watched that, assumed it was scripted at first. 

I think everyone did.

Just now, BoxOfficeZ said:

I got really confused when I first watched that, assumed it was scripted at first. 

Scripted thought when in at first automatically, but Chris Rock way to act it would it have been scripted felt way too good almost immediately after.

What kind of acting genius would have decided to acted it so low able to execute that flawlessly, that would have been better than Pam Anderson in Borat and on live/without any montage/zoom on is face. 

I actually enjoyed the opening monologue between Schumer/Hall/Sykes since they seemed to have a nice little chemistry going between them but everything after that fizzled. That COVID skit with all the people from the audience called on stage? Reeked of a rejected "SNL skit with surprise celebrity guests" that could and should have been cut. Back to the drawing board, AMPAS/ABC.