filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tom can easily clinch the 5th Actor spot with no campaigning. That can be Top Gun's above the line nomination, and honestly, Kosinski is probably Top 10 in Director after so many festival films flopped.

Cruise happening at SAG wouldn't surprise me since they love nominating both popular stuff and veterans (which he is having been around in the industry for 40 years) so that's one precursor that might be on his side.

Looking at the other contenders fighting for the fifth spot...

Jackman: In a highly divisive film that will turn voters off

Driver: Would likely be contingent on a Picture nomination for White Noise

Chalamet: In a graphic horror movie that will probably fare better with other branches

Calva: Lesser known lead in a late breaking contender, which usually doesn't work out for smaller names

Ward: Lesser known lead in a freefalling contender

Kaluuya: If Lupita didn't do it for Us with a SAG nom, he won't do it for much more subdued work in Nope 

LaBelle/Repeta: Young Actor nominees aren't a thing anymore

So I dunno, Cruise makes pretty damn good sense right now unless Searchlight wants to keep Gleeson in lead (who would probably be over Nighy in fourth).

Edited by WrathOfHan

43 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Looking at the other contenders fighting for the fifth spot...

Jackman: In a highly divisive film that will turn voters off

Driver: Would likely be contingent on a Picture nomination for White Noise

Chalamet: In a graphic horror movie that will probably fare better with other branches

Calva: Lesser known lead in a late breaking contender, which usually doesn't work out for smaller names

Ward: Lesser known lead in a freefalling contender

Kaluuya: If Lupita didn't do it for Us with a SAG nom, he won't do it for much more subdued work in Nope 

LaBelle/Repeta: Young Actor nominees aren't a thing anymore

So I dunno, Cruise makes pretty damn good sense right now unless Searchlight wants to keep Gleeson in lead (who would probably be over Nighy in fourth).

Their movies sound more like Golden Globes things than Oscar players but there's also Tom Hanks (A Man Called Otto) and Jim Parsons (Spoiler Alert) for their year-end releases in the running until they are actually seen. The rumors of Emancipation coming out this year after all would easily put Smith in strong contention for an afterglow nom, if not for the fact his image suffered severe damage at the same ceremony where he just won his Oscar (and being banned from attending for a decade because of it).

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Could Top Gun Maverick not only get nominated but pull out the win? This seems to be a weak year for Oscar bait with The Fablemans being the front runner but Spielberg has already been awarded 

I can’t take credit for this opinion, but I agree with someone who said, “Maverick is more likely to win than it is to not be nominated.” I think it’s possible!

On 9/18/2022 at 6:36 AM, filmlover said:

Best Picture has usually ended up going to an underdog in recent years but this is shaping up to be the first year in a while where it's looking like nothing will have the passion necessary to take down the frontrunner since very few movies have emerged from the festivals as solid contenders (Banshees, TAR, and Women Talking are the only other movies to have a strong consensus to them that bowed in recent weeks). Maybe everything that hasn't been seen yet will deliver a surprise but as of now it seems more likely than not that Spielberg is coming for his second Best Picture win.

The producers are also apparently looking to explore streaming options this year instead of trying to bring back 40 million viewers. Also good to see that they're looking to make the show about the nominees again because nobody's here for the lame stabs at social media brownie points like the hosts complaining about how long The Power of the Dog was.

Oscars Show Needs To Be “Reinvigorated”, Academy Admits – Deadline

True but people did say that about Power of the Dog last year, and then CODA came in with the win. So...

Edited by DAJK

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Most of the contenders have been seen and there is no CODA in sight to surprise everyone this year lol.

Fair, but as of September last year, did many people even think that CODA was a "CODA in sight to surprise everyone"? Like, the film was very well-received sure. But this time last year, it was really only discussed (by most) as a potential contender. Not the front-runner or even a possible upset. 

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

Fair, but as of September last year, did many people even think that CODA was a "CODA in sight to surprise everyone"? Like, the film was very well-received sure. But this time last year, it was really only discussed (by most) as a potential contender. Not the front-runner or even a possible upset. 

Sure, but but this is an odd year where I really couldn't tell you what the frontrunners are beyond the obvious titles (Fabelmans, Babylon) or the ones that are already hits and would hardly be underdogs (Everything Everywhere, Top Gun), especially after so many contenders dropped like flies even for a Best Picture nomination at the festivals. Only thing anyone should be certain about is that a major theatrical release is likely taking home the top prize (as it stands the nominees are probably going to be all from theatrical studios, which puts to bed the notion of the theater experience being dead).

• Like 2

I agree this year should be the celebration of theatrical releases. That's why movies like Fabelmans, EEAAO, TG2, Elvis and (possibly) Babylon will be undoubtedly in the conversation for Best Picture.

And watch out if BP2 or Avatar 2 are great!

• Like 1

After seeing White Noise, I doubt it misses Screenplay, and it probably has a good shot at Score and Production Design nominations. Driver deserves to get nominated but idk if the acting branch will hop on board with that performance. It's a fringe contender; I wouldn't dismiss it yet.

Bones and All is still my guess for the lone screenplay nominee, can't wait to see it in a few days.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1