Eric Duncan

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 | December 20, 2024

I predict this moves either up a week to December 13 or back 5 days to the next Wednesday, Christmas Day. It won't go right up against Avatar 3.

Whatever the case, it will do really well! People were really pleased with Sonic 2 and the brand is pretty strong. That tends to be a good mix with a Christmas release.

4 hours ago, Verrows said:

I predict this moves either up a week to December 13 or back 5 days to the next Wednesday, Christmas Day. It won't go right up against Avatar 3.

Whatever the case, it will do really well! People were really pleased with Sonic 2 and the brand is pretty strong. That tends to be a good mix with a Christmas release.

Considering that Avatar 2 isn't proving to be the unstoppable beast Disney expected it to be, I think Paramount has every reason to think this can compete with Avatar 3 just fine.

Even if Avatar 2 is more of a $134m opener than a $200m+ opener, it still doesn't make much sense to open directly against the third. I agree that this should move up a week as Jumanji-style counter-programming.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, datpepper said:

Even if Avatar 2 is more of a $134m opener than a $200m+ opener, it still doesn't make much sense to open directly against the third. I agree that this should move up a week as Jumanji-style counter-programming.

If at the very least to get one week of PLF action, as even if A3 is viewed as weakened (and let's not count any chickens on that score) it'll still monopolize PLF screens for a good long time once it bows.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I also have a hunch Paramount is waiting to see how Puss in Boots 2 performs, since it's also a family movie competing against Avatar. If it delivers, then Sonic 3 will likely stay as is. Maybe shifts to the weekend after. If it underperforms, then it'll likely move to February 2025.

I don't think Puss in Boots is as anywhere near as popular as Sonic though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The Battle of The Stans. 

This might be the funniest box office duel I've seen in a long time 

Sonic wins Dom and Japan 

OS will go to avatar.

WW is a toss up 

I doubt the Cameron Stans understand how loyal and fanatical the Sonic Stans can get

sonic stans still lost to genshin fans

On 12/21/2022 at 6:55 PM, Reddroast said:

The Battle of The Stans. 

This might be the funniest box office duel I've seen in a long time 

Sonic wins Dom and Japan 

OS will go to avatar.

WW is a toss up 

I doubt the Cameron Stans understand how loyal and fanatical the Sonic Stans can get

There’s a very good chance Avatar 3’s OW does over Sonic 3 Domestic if it stays in the same spot.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:09 PM, WittyUsername said:

There’s really no reason this can’t move to the 13th. It worked fine for Jumanji. 

I’m thinking that too, so Sonic could get a few PLFs. Either that or try Christmas Day.