Eric Lasagna

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

3 hours ago, Eric Drake said:

Ehh, maybe if they cut down the budget, but I still think Uncharted is coasting off Spider-Mania and Uncharted 2 will probably see a hefty drop.

Didn’t seem to ‘Dolittle’ for RDJ after Endgame 

tumblr_piz2r0XsSP1xliwjao8_r1_400.gif

Dog is NOT disappointing. Neither is Nile for that matter. Great? Maybe not. But a good sign? Absolutely. Guys, these movies hadn't done anything more than 4-7m in over two years. Having two get into the teens in consecutive weeks is huge! Now, things like Lost City, Ambulance, Northman all have a shot at 17m+ by the time they release when just a few months ago they would have been fated to 9m openings at best.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VENOM said:

Didn’t seem to ‘Dolittle’ for RDJ after Endgame 

tumblr_piz2r0XsSP1xliwjao8_r1_400.gif

Let's be real tho. Doolittle was a disaster of a movie that was like $85m too expensive. No one was saving that. I still believe RDJ absolutely has drawing power. He just hasn't taken many roles in like the last 10 years to prove it, other than Doolittle as we mentioned, and The Judge which was failed oscarbait

• Like 1

I’m pretty happy with the numbers for Uncharted and Dog. The former is definitely riding high off Tom Holland’s Spider-Man bump (with the added bonus that being from the same studio, it also got trailer space ahead of that film) and being the first big, widely appealing film in two months, and the latter is doing well for something that didn’t feel like it was getting much promotion until fairly recently.

4 hours ago, YourMother said:

Speaking of video game movies, I’m curious on how Sonic 2 will perform. It can either be a Ninja Turtles 2 and have a hefty drop despite the fan favorite additions like Knuckles (NT2 had Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady) due to heavy competition (as even though Morbius and Beasts 3 are uncertain, they could in theory due well (Marvel is GA Catnip and Beasts 3 will take away showings from Sonic)  and the debate on whether or not families will come back for family movies or it can benefit from the lack of family films as Sing 2 approaching 150m is a great sign for it even though it dropped from Sing 1 and overperform. It could be the biggest family film until Minions 2 if things go right.

Difference is, while the first Sonic turned out to be a surprise, Ninja Turtles was poorly received and left a bad taste, despite being a hit. When the second one didn't turned out any better, there really wasn't any fanservice that could save it.

7 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, Sony won calendar year DOM 2020 and 2021, so they are the running 2 year champ.  Til the champ gets knocked off, he's still the champ...

Sony won 2020 but Disney won 2021.

Disney was $1.175B in 2021 vs. Sony $1.078B in 2021

Sony did have the biggest Domestic film in both 2020 and 2021 though so that is their title to defend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Uncharted is less than an hour away from surpassing true Friday’s total # in Canada. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see a 15-16M Saturday... if not slightly more?

Can Uncharted do 30M just from Friday and Saturday? Wouldn't that surpass even the biggest predictions from today? That was the initial prediction for the 4 day weekend. If we get that from the first 2 days alone it would be wild! 

-EDIT-

DISREGARD POST

Forgot to add Fox to Disney's total.  Carry on then.

EDITED TO MAKE ANOTHER GRIPE.

C'mon now, the-numbers.  We're relying on you now that BOM has gone to shit.  Don't make it so if I glance at something I don't realize that you're not rolling in Fox "distributed" movies into Disney's yearly total. :rant:

(they also didn't roll in Sony Classic Pictures into Sony's total, but that's not as big of a deal)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Actually why does The-Numbers not include 20th Century grosses lumped in with Disney's? I understand Searchlight being listed separately, since that's still its own unique beast that releases their own movies, but I don't think that's the case for 20th Century

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sauce?

This is what I see over at the-numbers:

Tried to find the old page/charts on BOM, but came up empty.

Not doubting you, just wondering where the info is from.

(PRETTY sure that's in-year numbers over at t-n)

I am using in year, if it was released in 2021 until end of a films run Sony probably would win with Spider-Man 2022 numbers. 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-02-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-24-PM.pn

is less than than 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-47-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-18-11-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-18-30-PM.pn

I miss the old BOM in which you could sort by parent company. 

Just now, Potiki said:

I am using in year, if it was released in 2021 until end of a films run Sony probably would win with Spider-Man 2022 numbers. 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-02-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-24-PM.pn

is less than than 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-47-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-18-11-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-18-30-PM.pn

I miss the old BOM in which you could sort by parent company. 

Man, you're fast.  Check my edits I made to my post (I made the first literally one minute after posting). :lol: 

• Like 1

It sucks Disney abandoned National Treasure for Disney+. Bring back Nic Cage for a 3rd movie and the potential is HUGE. While Uncharted is a video game IP, I think a lot of the appeal is due to being an adventure film with huge stars in an empty, weak marketplace. 

And Indy 5 shouldn’t have been bumped to 2023. I think it would have been a monster in August, even after a crowded July

• Like 2