Eric Furiosa

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Really? Didn't the tracking thread go in on "sub 20M is happening" yesterday with maybe 15-16M true Thursday.

This feels like trying to manufacture a victory. The tracking thread was off here.

No.  

no no no no no

please actually read tracking posts if you’re going to comment on their accuracy, JFC

• Like 15

Really? Didn't the tracking thread go in on "sub 20M is happening" yesterday with maybe 15-16M true Thursday.

This feels like trying to manufacture a victory. The tracking thread was off here.

People thought sub 20 was possible based on certain markets. But in terms of hard predictions we had 19.5, 20.6, and 23.2. It's within that range.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

If it has ok legs it may total around BvS, which I would say is a win. Hopefully opening ends up surprising and no competition pushes it higher. 

It has a great reception and RT score, no way it will have 2.1 multiplier.
x3 is more realistic.

Edit: I just realised you meant BvS total. I think it will be way above it as well 😝

Edited by Ohana
adding

2 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

No.  

no no no no no

please actually read tracking posts if you’re going to comment on their accuracy, JFC

Feels like the tracking team is just angry and defensive it didn't come in below 20M so that you could claim credit again for accurately calling sub-20 being possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 13

I know I’m not a consistent member of the tracking team, but let’s be honest here. The tracking team only has access to limited data, most of us only track individual markets, and we spend hours each week doing so, compiling data and crunching numbers and coming up with relatively accurate predictions based on very limited data. Yea, we get it wrong sometimes, but I would argue that the team we have in the tracking thread is one of the best non-insider, non-professional sources for box office on the internet.

So thank you tracking team! Don’t listen to any negativity. You guys all rock!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Feels like the tracking team is just angry and defensive it didn't come in below 20M so that you could claim credit again for accurately calling sub-20 being possible.

Holy fuck man. For real this is infuriatingly ignorant and misleading. The actual forecast were low 20s. It’s low 20s. It was extremely on point and now you’re trying to spin it as a miss because you had  misunderstanding of what was predicted (or are deliberately referencing the lowest possible nums thrown around to make it look better for Batman)???

Just stop.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 12

It’s not like this is ambiguous either, the posts are all right there if you want to read what people thought as final predictions instead of referencing what you imagined they thought 😂

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The only one that sounds like that is you trying to pretend like this opening is some sort of major win for the movie. Most of the numbers in that thread were slightly above this number. In fact 23-25 was the figure for the most part with obvious signs of slowing in the last couple of days into the 20-23 range. 

and guess what? This doesn’t have to be left up to your imagination. You can literally click on the thread and look at it. It’s right there. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 3

It hit the high end of what the trackers who made clear final predictions indicated: high teens to low 20’s. Not to mention this one was trickier than usual (I’d imagine) because of the two other days with single showtimes. 

Edited by Krissykins

28 minutes ago, LVB said:

This film has a unique opening strategy - which no doubt has been discussed/analyzed a lot in this thread (which I'm too lazy to read of course!) - so I really don't know whether that's a poor/OK/good/great number. Seems fine.

I'll be very curious to see how the legs are, as I loved the opening 2/3 before getting pretty bored during the third act. You really want your movies to work the opposite if you want tons of repeat business! I left feeling little desire to see it again. We'll see how the rest of the movie-going public feels.

15 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Waiting for MTC data but nothing surprising so far. Going $19-21M previews and $100-130M OW.

15 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The Batman Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report Final Count

Comp

1.641x of Black Widow (21.66M)

2.622x of Shang-Chi (23.08M)

2.379x of Venom 2 (27.59M)

2.362x of Eternals (22.44M)

0.405x of Spider-Man: NWH (20.27M)

Adjusted Comp

0.601x of Star Wars: TROS (24.04M)

So this averages out to about...23.2M...yeah, let's go with that.

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Batman Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report:

PREMIERE NIGHT (FINAL REPORT) [3:00pm - 4:20pm]

But as I've said all along, I also just think Sacto is either underperforming or over-performs for Marvel films.  FWIW, the only other 3pm start I have (No Way Home),  Dune, and The Suicide Squad (which I just added) are more or less in broad agreement with each other.  So let's average those three and say 20.6m +/- .4m in previews.  Hopefully Sacto is just underperforming + I need to work on my methodology a bit for 3pm/300+ showtimes.

But if it isn't, don't be shocked if sub-20m full previews does indeed happen.  Don't think it would with the insane number of PLF previews. but...

14 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

No I wanted to see if DC / Marvel ratio is sort of similar. Sacramento is still over indexing its pre-CoVID ratios, so the direct comp don't matter that much but DC comp being about 20% ahead of Marvel with trio of SC, BW and ET against TSS.

I suppose that sort of tells that Marvel comps don't matter that much for DC in Sacramento or they are basically suggesting same thing as TSS comp i.e. $20-21M.

18 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

The Batman Alamo Drafthouse

Thursday(315 showings): 21343(+3301)/39540 ATP: $14.67

0.550x NWH final (27.50M)

2.12x Eternals final (20.14M)

18 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

The Batman Megaplex

Tuesday(5 showings): 2525/2741 in 5 theaters

Thursday(140 showings): 8200(+2298)/34040 in 15 theaters

0.327x NWH final (16.35M)

2.22x Eternals final(21.09M)

2.67x NTTD final (16.61M)

1.30x Black Widow final (17.16M)

18 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

Sub-20m true Thursday incoming? Shocked how much the Eternals comp dropped especially.

17 hours ago, Villain Legion said:

Mate this has been incoming forever.

17 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

The Batman Denver Preview Showings

TL;DR: After some adjustments that may or may not be necessary because of random variation, I'll go with 19.5M for overall previews

17 hours ago, A Star is Orm said:

Preview Night Salt Lake update as of 3:00 PM, Sugarhouse Cinemark.

421/888 tix sold. 47.4%

I think the demand was there for more sales, but there are very few decent seats left in prime time; everything is either before or after. (The 3:00 PM show was a little less than 50%, and the 3:30 show is only 30% sold. 5:00-10:00 PM is packed however.)

The Eternals comp finished at $20.3, so I'll take that with the fan screenings and say a preview night of $23-24.

Will report back later tonight with the final totals.

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not sure what thread you are reading or what you are on about but everyone save one predicted above 20m for all previews and sub 20m for pure Thursday.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

Anyway, I just finish watching the movie. Overall its theme and scope is way better and ambitious than batman begin and original batman 1989. I appreciate how the movie encompasses the idea of the villain  that a superhero fighting is not only a typical bad guys who trying to destroy the world but including those who corrupts the system and sitting among the “good” side. But overall batman begin still a better crafted and paced movie. 

may not be a movie for everyone but this is for sure a timely socially relevant movie. 

I wish it can be shorter with some adjustments to the pacing without having scenes being cut out. And whilst I understand the lighting choice, but we really need to light up this movie more. Sitting for 3 hours in a movie so dark can be a burden to eyes. 

Just now, John Marston said:

Wait, the previews Started on Tuesday and they are putting it all together as a regular 3 day weekend? Lol

yeah two days of "fans" previews. Just a bit sad from a box office perspective...

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

We should also remember this film could have decent legs...

like it could open to 120-130 million and get a 3X multipler or something. 

This movie really is not going to lend itself to the repeat viewings that are needed for 3x. It’s a good movie but it’s not one that I want to rewatch soon. Maybe in a year or something 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wait, the previews Started on Tuesday and they are putting it all together as a regular 3 day weekend? Lol

Tuesday and Wednesday were single showtimes. We’ve been getting fan and eary previews rolled into the weekend numbers for a few years now. 

For example: Respect did it last year. Love Simon even did it years ago. 

US not as bad as the UK yet. Studios open their films wide on Mondays and claim their 7 day grosses as “opening weekend” 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again, this is a 3-hour slow-burn detective noir film. It also has to partially deal with the stench of BvS and Josstice League. A 3 digit number of any kind for a reboot with no real game-changing hook is nothing short of a success to me. It also basically has all of March to itself, so it can still make up for your frankly ridiculous predictions.

• Like 7