Eric is Anxious

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

22 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Lego Movie 2 was surprisingly really good, was sad that it didn't do well. I went in expecting a perfunctory sequel but got a pretty heartfelt and fun story. Have not seen Lego Batman (I wasn't that interested in his character from the first).

Yes we stan Lego 2 here. The best animated sequel of 2019.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i was charmed by the first lego movie and then batman was just on the wrong side of hyperactive to me it felt like a bunch of kids high on sugar jumping all over the place. made me avoid all the subsequent lego movies. good alfred though.

The Second Part isn't anything amazing, but it's a fun time. Has a lot of clever and funny visuals and dialogue that carries it through, and a cute message about sibling love that I liked. There's also a cameo appearance that's so out of left field and hilarious that I can't spoil it.

Imo LEGO Movie 2 is better than a lot of people gave it credit for, but it's only the third best animated sequel of 2019 for me.

Maybe that just has more to do with how great of a year 2019 was for movies in general though...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Imo LEGO Movie 2 is better than a lot of people gave it credit for, but it's only the third best animated sequel of 2019 for me.

Maybe that just has more to do with how great of a year 2019 was for movies in general though...

Is it weird that i already feel extremely nostalgic for 2019 cinema? You know, for the world in general before the year 2020?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Hmm, I may have preferred TS4 slightly, though pretty close between the two. Definitely would put it over Hidden World and Frozen 2. 

TS4 is also very close but I think Lego 2 hits me more in the feels. Hidden World is pretty good too but not as good as either of them. Angry Birds 2 is surprisingly decent and by default the best video game movie. And we don’t talk about Frozen 2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Is it weird that i already feel extremely nostalgic for 2019 cinema? You know, for the world in general before the year 2020?

Not at all. A lot of things actually changed in my life for the worse towards the end of 2019, and coupled with the pandemic and everything else that has gone on since then, life's never actually felt the same since. 2019 felt like the end of innocence for me, and I feel really nostalgic for those last fleeting moments.

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Regal and Cinemark did this for NWH and maybe even Eternals iirc (and are doing this for Batman). @Porthos might remember, but I know it was discussed a bit in the old tracking thread so if it started around that time then it was probably brought up

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Regal and Cinemark did this for NWH and maybe even Eternals iirc (and are doing this for Batman). @Porthos might remember, but I know it was discussed a bit in the old tracking thread so if it started around that time then it was probably brought up

Yes, locally Cinemark has been engaging in variable pricing for most new movies since at least last Nov or so.  At the time I don't think we were able to verify it was chainwide after some cross-checking between you, me, and @katnisscinnaplex, but it was most of the Cinemark theaters here.  

I don't know if it was a district area manager decision or if Sacto was a quiet on-the-hush-hush test bed for the corp at large, but in general I was seeing a $1 upcharge for most new Thr/OW showings (like WSS) and a $2 one for NWH.

That latter bit meant it wasn't just an upcharge of Opening Weekend, but a true variable price for Event Films.

Haven't bothered cross-checking Batsy with other OW movies coming out in the near future, but I think it's "only" getting the $1 upcharge locally.

• Like 3

I just bought 6 tickets for a Saturday matinee for Bats.  I waited for a small theater screen to get showings, figuring if I have to sit in a packed theater, I want the tiny one.  Here's hoping it's good!  

Edited by TwoMisfits

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, locally Cinemark has been engaging in variable pricing for most new movies since at least last Nov or so.  At the time I don't think we were able to verify it was chainwide after some cross-checking between you, me, and @katnisscinnaplex, but it was most of the Cinemark theaters here.  

I don't know if it was a district area manager decision or if Sacto was a quiet on-the-hush-hush test bed for the corp at large, but in general I was seeing a $1 upcharge for most new Thr/OW showings (like WSS) and a $2 one for NWH.

That latter bit meant it wasn't just an upcharge of Opening Weekend, but a true variable price for Event Films.

Haven't bothered cross-checking Batsy with other OW movies coming out in the near future, but I think it's "only" getting the $1 upcharge locally.

My Cinemark tickets are $13.50 for Bats matinees, and $12.50 for all other matinees, so $1 upcharge (I just used Movie Club credits, but I went back and checked my "savings")...

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Not at all. I'm pretty similar. 2019 was truly a great year for movies,  and not just the big blockbusters.