Eric Loves Rey

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

2019 was a good year for movies. Actually had a good amount of studios dramas that hit: 1917, Little Women, Knives Out, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Hustlers, Us, Ford v Ferrari, Good Boys. Beautiful Day in Neighborhood did fine. And sadly the ones that didn't live up were still good movies like Ad Astra and Doctor Sleep.

Marriage Story is as good a movie Netflix has ever released. Of course they had The Irishman, too. Parasite wasn't the only international breakout--Portrait of a Lady on Fire was incredible. Pain and Glory is a fave for Almodovar fans.

Midsommar, Uncut Gems, and Joker are still viral sensations that pierced the zeitgeist. 

And of course Endgame pulled it all off.

2019 could truly be the "last" great film year. That isn't to say the future won't have great films, but 2019 had hits for everyone and got them all under the line before the pandemic

• Like 11

Just now, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The Batman Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 2 217 8732 39778 21.95%

Total Seats Sold Today: 937

Comp

2.037x of Black Widow T-2 (26.89M)

3.324x of Shang-Chi T-2 (29.25M)

4.037x of Venom 2 T-2 (46.83M)

2.784x of Eternals T-2 (26.45M)

0.370x of Spider-Man: NWH T-2 (18.53M)

Adjusted Comp

0.478x of Star Wars: TROS T-2 (19.13M)

I'm sure people will put up the warning signs here, but I think this is just more a coming down to Earth deal than anything else, and still indicates positive things IMO

Cross-posting this here for you lot to read.

Deadline's numbers would still make for a great opening. Again, this is a gritty 3-hour detective noir film. Of course it's not going to do Captain Marvel numbers. Not getting to the billion dollar mark is going to be deflating, but that's a battle to be fought by the sequel if word of mouth for this one is good.

4 minutes ago, Derpity said:

Also loved the movie. My crowd applauded, and was generally really reactive to the movie.

I cannot imagine this having anything except great word-of-mouth.

The people seeing it at a fan event and early screenings are very different than the people that will see it on a Wednesday afternoon. And those are mere relevant to general WOM. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

2019 could truly be the "last" great film year. That isn't to say the future won't have great films, but 2019 had hits for everyone and got them all under the line before the pandemic

I don't think I'll ever go to the cinemas as much as I did in 2019

58 minutes ago, DTP said:

Do the Tuesday previews get added to the weekend number?

Tue and Wed will get added to the Thursday Preview which in turn gets added to the "Friday" Gross.

So, yes. :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Ticket sales here are not fantastic. I expected more. But tv spots are very dark so i doubt it will do very big numbers

Do we know budget?

Little under 200

• Like 1

Batman films that were #1 of their year domestic:

2008: The Dark Knight- 533m

1989: Batman- 251m

That weren’t 

2017: Justice League- 229m (10th)*

2016: BVS- 330m (8th)*

2012: Dark Knight Rises- 448m (2nd)

2005: Batman Begins- 205m (8th)

1997: Batman and Robin- 107m (12th)

1995: Batman Forever- 184m (2nd)

1992: Batman Returns- 162m (3rd)

I believe the adjusted openings for following roughly:

Dark Knight- 202m

TDKR- 185m

BVS- 175m

Batman Forever- 111m

Batman Returns- 105m

Batman- 98m

Batman and Robin- 85m

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I believe the adjusted openings for following roughly:

Dark Knight- 202m

TDKR- 185m

BVS- 175m

Batman Forever- 111m

Batman Returns- 105m

Batman- 98m

Batman and Robin- 85m

These all seem to be correct with 2019 atp: http://www.boxofficereport.com/adjustedweekends.html

So with CPI inflation since dec 2019:

Dark Knight- 221

TDKR- 202

BVS- 191

Batman Forever- 121

Batman Returns- 115

Batman- 107

Batman and Robin- 93

Of course, I’ll give my usual Spiel about how atp adjustment underrates old OWs. Maybe stop by with a rank history of Batman OW (and a few DOM/WW ranks) later tonight after my shift.

5 hours ago, Derby Legion said:

These all seem to be correct with 2019 atp: http://www.boxofficereport.com/adjustedweekends.html

So with CPI inflation since dec 2019:

Dark Knight- 221

TDKR- 202

BVS- 191

Batman Forever- 121

Batman Returns- 115

Batman- 107

Batman and Robin- 93

Of course, I’ll give my usual Spiel about how atp adjustment underrates old OWs. Maybe stop by with a rank history of Batman OW (and a few DOM/WW ranks) later tonight after my shift.

Movies until about 2000 just did not have enough screens to meet demand.  Batman 89 easily could have done double of its OW if there was the screens.  JP2 if it had the screens would have easily did 100+ million opening weekend.  What was crazy is in the SM world you would have a theater showing these mega blockbusters you would have a 20 plex showing them on 14 screens.  In the 90s you would have JP2 and ID4 on 2 screens in a 10 plex.