CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why didn't they let the reviews come out earlier. Would benefit the movie even more. 

Indy 5 and Elemental last year. Disney is not risking early reviews this year for their tentpoles even though they've all reviewed well so far.

• Like 1

It's not gonna be like Covenant but it is a bummer to see the RT drop after such a good start. Will probably settle in the low 70s I imagine

I'm expecting a really fun thrill ride that will play relatively well with audiences, moreso than Covenant and Prometheus.

But it seems like the people who really care about the franchise have been disappointed by this movie not having much of anything interesting to say

20 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

It's not gonna be like Covenant but it is a bummer to see the RT drop after such a good start. Will probably settle in the low 70s I imagine

I'm expecting a really fun thrill ride that will play relatively well with audiences, moreso than Covenant and Prometheus.

But it seems like the people who really care about the franchise have been disappointed by this movie not having much of anything interesting to say

Series seems to be stuck in that 70 percent limbo since Prometheus. Films that are good, but they were shy of greatness. Equal parts entertaining while also being frustrating in some regards.

83% with 110 reviews 

Also up to 64 on MC with 39 reviews (and there’s a 5/5 review to be added so maybe it’s about to jump to 65)

I don’t think this is dropping to low 70’s on RT like it’s being discussed, no sign of this at all.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

The dicision to turn it in a safe hommage museum thrill ride is baffling to me. Yeah, some people didn't like Prometheus and Covenant, it doesn't mean you must copypaste iconic scenes and ideas from Alien movies and call it a day.

No, I haven't seen the film yet, but reviews are disappointing (not RT score itself, I don't care if it's dropping further or not)

Aside those numbers, I read some reviews and know why some people really dig it while others have a great second thoughts (no spoiler).

Fede Alvarez took a very different approach to the horror parts of this movie. It is less like the unseen fear from the first one but more close to B-level body horror such as Society, Braindead, Evil Dead -- torturing those characters and delivering a crazy spectacle in its 3rd act. (If you saw those horror movies I mentioned, you might be aware of what's coming.)

In other words, if you're a body horror fan with desire to see how those characters get killed one by one, this is probably for you. (I think it explains why some say it's Rogue One of this franchise cuz there are very few character developments, except leading character get hero moments.)

If you're an Alien fan with specific expectations based on previous movies, this new movie might fail you. It's a very different horror movie from previous Alien things. 

If you know Alien movies and have no special requirements for what's coming, I think you can enjoy this one. And those references could make you feel more happy.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Aside those numbers, I read some reviews and know why some people really dig it while others have a great second thoughts (no spoiler).

Fede Alvarez took a very different approach to the horror parts of this movie. It is less like the unseen fear from the first one but more close to B-level body horror such as Society, Braindead, Evil Dead -- torturing those characters and delivering an crazy spectacle in its 3rd act. (if you saw those horror movies I mentioned, you might be aware of what's coming.)

In other words, if you're a body horror fan with desire to see how those characters get killed one by one, this is probably for you. (I think it explains why some say it's Rogue One of this franchise cuz there are very few character developments, except leading character get hero moments.)

If you're an Alien fan with specific expectations based on previous movies, this new movie might fail you. It's a very different horror movie from previous Alien things. 

If you know Alien movies and have no special requirements for what's coming, I think you can enjoy this one. And those references could make you feel more happy.

Based on that I do not see this being some leggy big hit. It will not be big with the GA/Casuals. I love the first two movies but do not plan on seeing it because I am not into Full on body horror like this sounds like it is. I have never been able to watch Carpenters The Thing for that reason.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2