CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don;t know, Alien back in 1979 was considered pretty extreme, the chest buster scene in particular.

I'd say chest buster scene is the only violent scene there and it makes sense, everything else was mostly off-screen violence.

19 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

That’s kinda interesting tbh. It’s always fascinating to me to discover what type of reasons some people have to make movies.

I didn’t watched the movie so no need to argue about the movie specifically. Even tho i tend to roll my eyes to complains like “the movie doesn’t say anything”, because they always do if you have enough perspective to see though.

After having seen the film, it's the only film in the series that gives us a glimpse into colonist lifestyles. The Aliens deleted scene felt like more of a filler. The film proposes that these colonies in their early life cycle will have shades of communism and stalinism. Your life predestined by the type of work the planet produces for the greater collective (Weyland-Yutani). The restrictions they impose upon the colonists seem pretty hardcore, but make sense if you think about it. It sucks for the kids born into it, though. They have no choice.

I give the film a flat B. It's the most consistently good Alien film since Aliens. I was actually waiting for the divisive third act everyone was talking about, but came out pleasantly surprised. The divisive thing everyone is talking about is handled much better here than the laughably bad ending of a previous film. The visuals and two leads do most of the heavy lifting. Also, some nifty set pieces in the third act involving gravity. There is one element of the film that I GUARANTEE will get a much needed facelift on home release.

The one issue that keeps this film from greatness is that it is ONLY consistently good. It doesn't have the low lows of Prometheus and Covenant, but it also doesn't have their high HIGHS. Romulus operates more on the visceral than the lofty themes Scott's prequels attempted to achieve. While that's still a good thing, it leaves the viewer wanted something a bit...more.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Romulus isn’t less interesting because it doesn’t say anything. It’s less interesting because it doesn’t really include anything worthy of analysis beyond “this is what the movie is about”. Covenant and Prometheus don’t really have a message. They just include Scott’s stray thoughts on religion, god, AI, etc for you to interpret.

The movie did not need to be that too. Force Awakens is a much less interesting film than any of the prequels but Id still prefer watching that over the prequels.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

Good movie. 

Didn’t really care that much about it’s first 2/3 of runtime, but the climax was really great. 

Horror is a frontal genre, it’s always more about sensorial experience than a message or intricate storytelling. It spend most of it’s time dealing with the storytelling and imagery of the entire franchise which is tiring, but once Fede finally try to put his spin on it by the end and just have fun with it, the thing soars. 

I liked Prometheus better, but this is solid. Not the franchise best that some people hyped, neither the boring failure other people claimed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The movie did not need to be that too. Force Awakens is a much less interesting film than any of the prequels but Id still prefer watching that over the prequels.

Yeah I don't get this thought process that a film has to be different or trying to say something to be good. Sometimes a familiar story being well told is better than someone trying to do something interesting and failing.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Romulus is looking to be a huge hit in China. That country remains so unpredictable in what they embrace. If China helps Romulus get a sequel then that would be fantastic.

Edited by Mojoguy

I loved it.  I knew it was going to be a "Love Letter" but I had no Idea Fede was this big of a Alien Franchise Fan.  He paid homage to EVERYTHING.   Wow.  That last act was so good.   It fit right in to the whole saga perfectly.   It did have "Alien: Isolation" vibes too with it being a Space Station.  I liked how he expanded on what James showed in "Aliens Special Edition" with the Colony.   Also to pick up where "Alien" left off was a bold choice and it worked.  Fede really respected every film in the whole franchise.  I was shocked how much I liked this.  The pulse rifle scene, zero gravity, The Xeno's  Andy the Android, loved all it.  I am not surprised this is taking off globally too.  But yes, "Alien", "Aliens", "Alien 3", "Alien: Resurrection" and "Prometheus" all got love in this movie.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1