Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If The Lost City opens above 30m next weekend, I expect a thoughtful apology from the users who laughed when I said Channing Tatum was one of the best draws left in Hollywood. A rare win for ole Cmasterclay between Lost City and Dog.

...I don't remember anybody laughing at you?

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Firestarter and Marry Me from Universal are day and date, and Firestarter only opens in May, so Universal is also still doing this, besides Chapek.

Paramount has joined the chat

Screen-Shot-2022-03-20-at-12-54-32-PM.pn

Although most of these recent day and date releases seem like dumps to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

Paramount has joined the chat

Screen-Shot-2022-03-20-at-12-54-32-PM.pn

Although most of these recent day and date releases seem like dumps to be honest. 

They bought this like last week from STX. Feels like a product to fill Paramount+ that some contract is forcing them to also release it in theaters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

They bought this like last week from STX. Feels like a product to fill Paramount+ that some contract is forcing them to also release it in theaters.

Trailer is from February so they have been part of the release for longer than that and sounds more like you buy from Amazon, Apple etc. rather than it going to Paramount+

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If The Lost City opens above 30m next weekend, I expect a thoughtful apology from the users who laughed when I said Channing Tatum was one of the best draws left in Hollywood. A rare win for ole Cmasterclay between Lost City and Dog.

Brad Pitt is the reason  👀

• Astonished 1

I don't recall this specifically, but I probably laughed at the idea that Lost City could open to 30+ because of Channing Tatum star power. I think 30+ is totally possible but it would do pretty similar with anyone else in the main male role.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He is a draw 

Eh. Could he be adding a couple mil compared to a total nobody? Sure, I'll believe that. But is his presence going to account for a serious chunk of sales? Very very skeptical

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why can’t you give him credit? 

Because I don't think it's the empiricaly correct explanation based on how much star power (or rather, lack thereof) has been observed over the past half dozen years or so.  

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Explain Dog if he isn’t a draw then 

Tbf I don't really know what is going on with Dog. I'm not really the demo, haven't seen that marketing for it, haven't seen it, makes it harder to comment on. But I think something more along the lines of pent up demand, receding omicron, and "people like dogs and vets and thought it was well-executed" than "people putting their butt in the seat so they can see Channing Tatum for 2 hours."

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Because I don't think it's the empiricaly correct explanation based on how much star power (or rather, lack thereof) has been observed over the past half dozen years or so.  

Tbf I don't really know what is going on with Dog. I'm not really the demo, haven't seen that marketing for it, haven't seen it, makes it harder to comment on. But I think something more along the lines of pent up demand, receding omicron, and "people like dogs and vets and thought it was well-executed" than "people putting their butt in the seat so they can see Channing Tatum for 2 hours."

Not in demographic because it's not a superhero movie? 

You think if Ansel Elgort is in Dog it makes what it's making?

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You think if Ansel Elgort is in Dog it makes what it's making?

Yeah, sure, I think it's actually pretty clear by now that people don't really care. As long as he gave a similar quality performance I think we'd have pretty similar numbers -- and if he gave a worse one, similar OW but worse legs.