Eric is Anxious

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

The replaceable actor is more accurate for IP movies, you can have any number of thousand people play a superhero and the movie would do just as well, for an original movie aimed at women to do well means the lead has drawing power cause that DEMO did not show up for other movies during the pandemic 

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Honestly I think Sandra Bullock is the bigger deal for Lost City. She is catnip to every suburban mother. Tatum fans, please don't yell at me for saying this.

Bullock is the biggest draw, but it's a romantic comedy and those are always sold on who the lady is paired with. The star power combo of both Bullock + Tatum is selling point of movie. Especially with Tatum coming off a hit he elevated according to exit polls and was sold off him + returning to a genre he's had hits in before (The Vow, Dear John). He compliments her well. I don't think this nearly has half the buzz and awareness if Bullock was paired with someone lesser

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Honestly I think Sandra Bullock is the bigger deal for Lost City. She is catnip to every suburban mother. Tatum fans, please don't yell at me for saying this.

It's a bummer that she was recently on record as saying that she plans to take a break from acting for a while when her big screen appearances have already become rare in recent years (this is her first studio movie since Ocean's 8, which was her first screen appearance in nearly three years at the time). The fact she's now crossed into her fourth decade of being a major star is one of the more impressive examples of career staying power (especially in an industry where it's a supposed belief that the roles for actresses dry up once they turn 40) there is.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's a bummer that she was recently on record as saying that she plans to take a break from acting for a while when her big screen appearances have already become rare in recent years (this is her first studio movie since Ocean's 8, which was her first screen appearance in nearly three years at the time). The fact she's now crossed into her fourth decade of being a major star is one of the more impressive examples of career staying power (especially in an industry where it's a supposed belief that the roles for actresses dry up once they turn 40) there is.

Yeah I thought so too.

At least Julia Roberts is back with a RomCom with George Clooney. There's no reason that that shouldn't be a big hit. They should market it basically exactly like The Lost City 

Just now, Pinacolada said:

Yeah I thought so too.

At least Julia Roberts is back with a RomCom with George Clooney. There's no reason that that shouldn't be a big hit. They should market it basically exactly like The Lost City 

It doesn't have the adventure element that Lost City had. So they can't market it the same. And Julia is no longer as big a draw as Sandra. Julia had a bigger career peak than Sandra (it's insane how massive Pretty Woman and her string of hits were) but she hasn't had the same lasting appeal. I think it's because her brand of comedy is more sly, less broad and self-deprecating. 

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It doesn't have the adventure element that Lost City had. So they can't market it the same. And Julia is no longer as big a draw as Sandra. Julia had a bigger career peak than Sandra (it's insane how massive Pretty Woman and her string of hits were) but she hasn't had the same lasting appeal. I think it's because her brand of comedy is more sly, less broad and self-deprecating. 

You're right, but the draw of that movie should be frickin Julia Roberts AND George Clooney together again. Two of the biggest movie stars of all time

15 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

You're right, but the draw of that movie should be frickin Julia Roberts AND George Clooney together again. Two of the biggest movie stars of all time

Money Monster made 47M dom