Eric is Anxious

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

5 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Now why would you put Saoirse Ronan in the same sentence as the actors on Euphoria 😭

The Euphoria cast minus Zendaya are exactly the type of flash-in-the-pan people that disappear after their hit show ends. Saoirse Ronan has four Oscar nominations at the age of 25

Someone at work yesterday said that Jacob Elordi is the best actor of all time. If this is where we’re going with “Gen Z stars” (KJ Apa as the king of TV, L’il Huddy ranking higher than Freddy Mercury on all time greatest singers) I don’t want to be a part of it :lol:

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The biggest issue for most of the "next Julia Roberts" contenders is just that romcoms are no longer made by Hollywood. Those were the movies in which the leading ladies were pretty much always the stars, leading to increased name recognition and Star power. 

And the one genre that CBMs don't seem to get into is romcom as well. They will do their approximation of every other genre but romcoms.

I like Robbie a lot, and think she is a underrated actress..she was superb as TOnya Harding....but she has yet to have the one big blockbuster that will make her the Next Julia Roberts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Now why would you put Saoirse Ronan in the same sentence as the actors on Euphoria 😭

The Euphoria cast minus Zendaya are exactly the type of flash-in-the-pan people that disappear after their hit show ends. Saoirse Ronan has four Oscar nominations at the age of 25

I'm talking about people popular among gen Z lol. I'm not comparing acting talent, of which Saoirse is clearly superior. I see a lot of people talk about Sydney Sweeney (who Sony just cast in their film) and Alexa Demie lmao. And Jacob Elordi's team is really trying to make him happen 🤣. Yeah most likely they might not have staying power but one could break out lmao. 

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don’t watch Euphoria, but this Jacob Ecoldry, @excel1 keeps mentioning has the looks to be the next big thing. Is he a good actor?

I have my own issues with Jacob Elordi but that's mostly due to his fame-whory ways and his dating life. His performance is good and he has a "movie star hunk" appearance. Whether he is the next best thing, idk. 

Seriously, the Euphoria actors are on the same level as Riverdale actors right now. None of them have proved themselves in non-streaming movies to be included in the same sentence as Saoirse or Tom or Timothee. And at least Lili Reinhart was in Hustlers and Cole Sprouse was in that Fault in Our Stars rip-off that was a modest hit.

Not even Zendaya has proved herself yet. Yes Euphoria is a hot, but her other movies have been franchises that would’ve done about as well with or without her. Her one lead role in a movie, Malcolm and Marie, barely made a dent on Netflix

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Someone at work yesterday said that Jacob Elordi is the best actor of all time. If this is where we’re going with “Gen Z stars” (KJ Apa as the king of TV, L’il Huddy ranking higher than Freddy Mercury on all time greatest singers) I don’t want to be a part of it :lol:

*old man screams at cloud*. The majority of tiktok stars will not last longer than  a year. You can relax. A lot of the ones that were big 2 years ago are irrelevant now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I'm talking about people popular among gen Z lol. I'm not comparing acting talent, of which Saoirse is clearly superior. I see a lot of people talk about Sydney Sweeney (who Sony just cast in their film) and Alexa Demie lmao. And Jacob Elordi's team is really trying to make him happen 🤣. Yeah most likely they might not have staying power but one could break out lmao. 

I still think it’s a dumb comparison. Longevity with teen stars like this is always borderline and none of them have even come close to proving themselves yet. There’s going to be another hot streaming show next week and then another one and another one. They are not even close to being in the same demand as the other people you mentioned. Stardom like this is always fleeting

Edited by snarkmachine

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

who-dat.gif

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, snarkmachine said:

I still think it’s a dumb comparison. Longevity with teen stars like this is always borderline and none of them have even come close to proving themselves yet. There’s going to be another hot streaming show next week and then another one and another one. They are not even close to being in the same demand as the other people you mentioned. Stardom like this is always fleeting

Ok forget I mentioned them. Timothee Chalamet Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Anya Taylor Joy,  Saoirse Ronan and Tom Holland have potential to be big stars among Gen Z lmao.

Edited by ban1o

3 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

That’s the issue with streaming, it’s very fickle. There is so much content that people move onto the next thing very quickly. Even the stranger things kids seem irrelevant now. The jury is still out on many of the young stars today. 

• Like 3

The Batman once again is underestimated. No way Sunday was smaller than Friday, 3rd weekend will be over $37 million.

After 17 days:

• The Batman +$300.09m
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $301.39m
  • Captain Marvel $320.75m

The Bat has better weekend holds and better 3rd weekend than GotG2 and CM. I think $390m is locked at this point with still good shot for $400m.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 4

Just now, babz06 said:

That’s the issue with streaming, it’s very fickle. There is so much content that people move onto the next thing very quickly. Even the stranger things kids seem irrelevant now. The jury is still out on many of the young stars today. 

over saturation definitely plays a big part in the lack of huge stars for sure. A million different shows and movies to stream,  youtube videos to watch and tiktok videos make it hard for there to be a "star" necessarily.  However like I said, I do think the people I mentioned above have potential to be big stars due to their popularity with Gen Z. Whether that potential is realized, idk. 

As for Stranger Things kids. They are still young. A lot of child actors don't transition well to adult roles, especially if they aren't traditionally movie star attractive. We'll have to wait and see on them. I hear a lot about Millie Bobby Brown stiill. 

Just saw that 2023 is Disney's 100th Anniversary. And as of now, they have quite the lineup. Note that there coud be changes and probably more films will be added from 20th Century and Searchlight. 

February 17 - The Marvels
March 10 - Haunted Mansion
May 5 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
May 26 - The Little Mermaid
June 16 - New Pixar Movie 
June 30 - Indiana Jones 5
July 28 - Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania
August 11 - Disney Live-Action: Snow White*
September 15 - 20th Century Movie: Kingsman 3 or Planet of the Apes**
November 3 - Marvel Studios: Blade***
November 22 - New Disney Animation 
December 22 - Rogue Squadron****

* based on IMDBpro, Snow White is the only one filming. Almost sure it's this one

**Almost 100% that it is Kingsman 3. The last of the trilogy starts filming this September. Or Planet of the Apes. Starts filming late summer-early fall

***100% Blade. Starts filming this summer. Only MCU movie with cast and filming start date. Other than the already dated ofc. 

****Even if they don't get it rolling, I'm confident there will be a Star Wars movie here. Star Wars celebration is coming and we will hear something. There are rumors of other movies in development that could easily start filming till the end of this year

15 minutes ago, ban1o said:

*old man screams at cloud*. The majority of tiktok stars will not last longer than  a year. You can relax. A lot of the ones that were big 2 years ago are irrelevant now. 

Um, EXCUSE ME but I have been around longer than a year :lol: 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Margot Robbie is arguably the biggest young actress in the industry right now. Harley Quinn, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 2 Oscar nominations, and a slew of notable projects in the pipeline including the latest movies from David O. Russell, Damien Chazelle, and Greta Gerwig. Barbie in particular sounds like it's probably going to be her biggest "star vehicle" test to date.

I am a big Robbie fan, but it is tough to say she is any sort of draw. Famous? Sure. But even her films which focused on Harley Quinn flopped. And, prepare to feel old, but her big break out in Wolf of Wall Street? Now more than 8 years old. She isn't exactly new.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'll give you Stone but it does seem like Lawrence's starpower has cooled in recent years between Passengers ending up a no1curr movie followed by the major audience rejection of mother! and Red Sparrow being a nonstarter. Her last studio movie was...Dark Phoenix, yikes. It seems like motherhood is going to be a bigger priority going forward so we'll see what the future has in store.

Red Sparrow still managed to make $150m WW with bad audience WOM and very mixed critic reviews. I think that's incredibly respectable and not something Margot Robbie could pull off. If that movie had good reviews, I think it would've been a serious hit, but as it is, it wasn't really a complete flop. Margot still has movies going straight to VOD like Dreamland and Terminal (which is comparable to Red Sparrow, though obviously a much smaller production).

And though it ate shit domestically I believe, Passengers still made over $300m WW. I think JLaw is absolutely a bigger draw than Margot. Mother! seems like her only one true bomb 

All that being said though, I can see all 3 of Margot's next movies being big hits (because I think they're all gonna be great)

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I don’t watch Euphoria, but this Jacob Ecoldry, @excel1 keeps mentioning has the looks to be the next big thing. Is he a good actor?

Yes, he does well. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Gen Z is clearly going to be a clone of the youngsters during 1980s who instantly anointed everyt dominant figure during their time as the GOAT and have refused to consider otherwise ever since.

Ronald Reagan? GOAT! Forget Lincoln, GW, etc.

Michael Jackson? GOAT! Forget everyone else!

Michael Jordan? GOAT! Forget Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, or LeBron!

Jerry Rice? GOAT! Forget Randy Moss, Terrell Owen's and more clearly superior ability! 

Jack Nicklaus? GOAT!

Tom Brady had to win 2x as many championships as everyone else to get some old timers to admit he is better than Joe Montana! 

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

I have my own issues with Jacob Elordi but that's mostly due to his fame-whory ways and his dating life. His performance is good and he has a "movie star hunk" appearance. Whether he is the next best thing, idk. 

Making the jump from the small screen to the big screen is going to require a major role heading his away. AHEM Superman.  There is *such* a difference between "famous young actors" who become famous through different tiers.

Tier 1: become famous as a result of small screen success (little staying power)

Current: Jacob Elordi, Noah Centineo

Past: Zac Efron, Ashton Kutcher, Chad Michael Murray, Tom Welling, Chace Crawford, James Van Der Beek, a million other names

Tier 2: become famous as a result of big screen in low-budget, over performing  "hit" films (some staying power)

Current: Henry Golding, Ansel Elgort

Past:  Channing Tatum, Collin Farrell, Ryan Phillippe, Paul Walker, Freddie Prinze Jr, Sean William Scott

Tier 3: become famous as a result of high profile big screen films (major staying power)

Current: Tom Holland, Timothe Chalamet, Austin Butler (soon, Elvis & Dune 2 = big deal)

Past:  Ben Affleck, Heath Leger, Josh Hartnett

The people that are in tier 3- who achieve fame primarily though major motion pictures - almost always feel bigger than those in tiers 1 or 2 simply because audiences "meet" them through this platform. They have the highest profiles, see they pay increase the fastest, and generally have first dibs at the biggest roles.

-Ben Affleck was basically introduced to audiences with the back-to-back combination of Good Will Hunting (major hit) and then Armageddon 6 months later (#1 global film of 1998). He was pretty much the king of young Hollywood 1998-2002ish.

-Heath Ledger was introduced to audiences with a teen comedy, but followed up with leading roles in high-profile releases The Patriot (2000) and A Knights Tale (2001). His name was attached to every big role 2000-2003ish. Josh Hartnett's breakout removed Ledger's from the top of young Hollywood and a series of flops/odd choices severely hurt his career until Brokeback Mountain in late 2005.

-Josh Hartnett was the breakout star of the megahyped Pearl Harbor (2001) and then headlined instant classic Black Hawk Down the following winter. By 2003, he was the top choice for Nolan's Batman and offered $100 million to be Superman.

Getting this series of high-profile roles in rapid succession basically meant instant A list status and gave the actors a good 3-5 year window to capitalize on it. Of those 3, Affleck is obviously still extremely famous and a major draw in the right role, Ledger tragically is dead but is an acting legend thanks to TDK, Hartnett abandoned Hollywood and has made some horrible career choices (though he has major roles in upcoming films for Guy Ritchie and Chris Nolan). Hartnett and especially Ledger had  the talent, desire (both were more artsy than mainstream in real life) and mass-appeal to become iconic brand actors in vein of Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, etc but some different choices took them off that path.

Successfully transitioned from tier 1 to tier 3 include Johnny Depp, Will Smith, George Clooney, Leonardo Dicaprio, Ashton Kutcher, etc. Noah Centineo is about to test the waters with BLACK ADAM. It would be surprising if Jacob Elordi is not scooped up for some film series in the next 18 months.

Edited by excel1