Eric Prime

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

I just watched the trailer and oh wow does this look crap.

Shame how bad the last two films were compared to the first two. I hope they figure out what they want to do with this franchise instead of recycling Godzilla+Kong.

At least Monarch was pretty good tho I havent watched the final episode yet. Definitely captured some of the atmosphere of the first two films.

Edited by Avatree

I watched the greatest Godzilla movie ever with -1 last year, now I'm ready for what I predict to be a disappointment with G×K.

Going from -1 to GxK will be major whiplash. Not releasing -1 on video the day G×K releases would be a missed opportunity at cross promotion.

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I just watched the trailer and oh wow does this look crap.

Shame how bad the last two films were compared to the first two. I hope they figure out what they want to do with this franchise instead of recycling Godzilla+Kong.

At least Monarch was pretty good tho I havent watched the final episode yet. Definitely captured some of the atmosphere of the first two films.

Recycling Godzilla+Kong seems to be all they really can do at this point. The entire basis for the Monsterverse was predicated around having Godzilla and Kong fight, and that’s already happened by now. If they at least had Gamera then that would be one way to keep things fresh. 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Recycling Godzilla+Kong seems to be all they really can do at this point. The entire basis for the Monsterverse was predicated around having Godzilla and Kong fight, and that’s already happened by now. If they at least had Gamera then that would be one way to keep things fresh. 

They could do tons of new stuff. They can make whatever creatures and monsters they want. The franchise is not controlled by Toho, they aren't bound to the existing Godzilla lore. Some brand new monster hunting films would be great. Create something new instead of doing the same thing over and over again.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I can't read Japanese, but a wall of text from Hideo is basically a seal of approval. These final two episodes seriously turned it around for me, even if the series as a whole was a wildly uneven mess. Hopefully he produces an even bigger wall of text when New Empire is out in Japan.

Yeah, last episode of Monarch was really good and overall made all of it worthwile imo. Even though one aspect of it all doesnt make sense to me still

Spoiler

The whole time is different in the hollow earth thing when that aspect of it didnt play any role whatsoever in Godzilla vs Kong

I also appreciate that they definetly tried to make more interesting and compelling human characters/drama, even if a lot of it was messy and underwritten. But i dont want to sound too negative, since i do think the series has a very strong start, a messy middle and a strong finish. I certainly woudnt complain about a Season 2.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, last episode of Monarch was really good and overall made all of it worthwile imo. Even though one aspect of it all doesnt make sense to me still

Hide contents

The whole time is different in the hollow earth thing when that aspect of it didnt play any role whatsoever in Godzilla vs Kong

I also appreciate that they definetly tried to make more interesting and compelling human characters/drama, even if a lot of it was messy and underwritten. But i dont want to sound too negative, since i do think the series has a very strong start, a messy middle and a strong finish. I certainly woudnt complain about a Season 2.

Spoiler

I got the impression it was a transitional area between our world and the Hollow Earth, with its own rules and everything, hence all the "between heaven and Earth" talk. It doesn't look like it's the same area from Godzilla vs Kong. They definitely could've explained it a lot better though.

With the series not having much of a pulse whenever Godzilla isn't on screen I'm not sure if we'll get another season. If we do, I'm still hoping for a creative refresh, or at least to have Fraction and/or Black writing the entire series. I want a more consistently great story next time, one which doesn't have a lot of the issues the first two Godzilla movies had. I also want a stronger creature lineup and maybe some more Toho characters, but if they insist on this being an interquel they are really boxing themselves in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I watched the greatest Godzilla movie ever with -1 last year, now I'm ready for what I predict to be a disappointment with G×K.

Going from -1 to GxK will be major whiplash. Not releasing -1 on video the day G×K releases would be a missed opportunity at cross promotion.

It's probably been said before, but -1 was made with the intent of having a specific message with character building and meaningful storytelling. Expecting anything of the sort from GxK is like asking for stimulating discourse in a MMA event. What you're going to get is a movie mostly focusing on spectacle, i.e. monsters beating each other's brains out of each other with minimal human character development. 

Not defending the choice at all, as I feel these films could be better, but I'm there for the ride regardless.

This franchise seems to have given up any pretense of being anything more than big dumb monster brawls after KotM didn’t work out so well, at least on the movie side of things. I haven’t watched the Monarch TV show, so maybe that’s a different story. 

GvK was undemanding schlock that didn’t try to hide it, and it worked out pretty well for Legendary and WB, so it’s no surprise that this is evidently trying to give people more of the same. 

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

This franchise seems to have given up any pretense of being anything more than big dumb monster brawls after KotM didn’t work out so well, at least on the movie side of things. I haven’t watched the Monarch TV show, so maybe that’s a different story. 

GvK was undemanding schlock that didn’t try to hide it, and it worked out pretty well for Legendary and WB, so it’s no surprise that this is evidently trying to give people more of the same. 

KotM seemed to try to develop something with their characters, but it didn't work. That movie was also packed with three different monsters other than Godzilla himself along with every other original creation that was thrown in.

I think expecting anything more than a mindless escape at this point would be a questionable decision. Any hope of character development would likely come from Kong himself and nobody else.

Edited by NoobSaibot

On 1/13/2024 at 4:22 PM, WittyUsername said:

Actually going in the direction of the Gamera moviies even if you don't have Gamera and not taking itself very seriously might be a good step for this franchsie.

I agree, the whole franchise was building up to Kong and The Big G duking it out, and after that is is going to get stale unless ou being in some really new elements or a new take.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:22 AM, WittyUsername said:

Recycling Godzilla+Kong? Give me a break. It's quite literally their franchise. Imagine bursting into Chuck E Cheese and complaining they serve pizza. We've had exactly two movies with them together, and the second one isn't even out yet. Believe it or not sequels have existed for a long time, and usually, they tend to bring back the protagonists from the previous film. A crazy idea I know.

We literally just got a critically acclaimed film and television show weeks ago featuring Godzilla and a bunch of new and returning Kaiju. So what exactly are you guys looking for that's you're not currently getting from this Godzilla and King Kong franchise?

And I love the heisei trilogy, but what on earth would Gamera bring to the table? More money? Nope. More fans to the franchise? Nope. What would the big flying turtle bring to the table to freshen things up? Monsterverse Godzilla's character is already just watered down heisei Gamera. You seemingly don't think they can handle two Kaiju but you think a third will fix the issue? 

On 1/15/2024 at 5:37 AM, WittyUsername said:

It's my favourite film in the Monsterverse, but to act like KoTM was anything above undemanding big dumb monster brawl shlock is hilarious. It has the most cartoonish plot and most atrocious dialogue of all of these films. it's not high art that the general audience didn't get it, they just didn't like it. 

22 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

Recycling Godzilla+Kong? Give me a break. It's quite literally their franchise. Imagine bursting into Chuck E Cheese and complaining they serve pizza. We've had exactly two movies with them together, and the second one isn't even out yet. Believe it or not sequels have existed for a long time, and usually, they tend to bring back the protagonists from the previous film. A crazy idea I know.

We literally just got a critically acclaimed film and television show weeks ago featuring Godzilla and a bunch of new and returning Kaiju. So what exactly are you guys looking for that's you're not currently getting from this Godzilla and King Kong franchise?

And I love the heisei trilogy, but what on earth would Gamera bring to the table? More money? Nope. More fans to the franchise? Nope. What would the big flying turtle bring to the table to freshen things up? Monsterverse Godzilla's character is already just watered down heisei Gamera. You seemingly don't think they can handle two Kaiju but you think a third will fix the issue? 

17 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

It's my favourite film in the Monsterverse, but to act like KoTM was anything above undemanding big dumb monster brawl shlock is hilarious. It has the most cartoonish plot and most atrocious dialogue of all of these films. it's not high art that the general audience didn't get it, they just didn't like it. 

First off, chill out. All I was saying was that the entire basis for the MonsterVerse was inherently limited in scope, since it amounted to little more than “wouldn’t it be cool if someone did a remake of that old Togo film where Godzilla and King Kong fought?!” 

Second, what makes you think I was trying to suggest that KotM is high art? I don’t even like the film. I think it’s the weakest in the MonsterVerse precisely because it’s nowhere near as smart as it wants people to think it is. It’s dumb schlock, but it tries to present itself as if it has something deep and profound to say.