Eric the IF

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

well i'd hate to be a part of the whole "Oh you guys are sooo negative about everything" grousing so i'll just say... monkeys!😀🦍🐒🐵🙈🙉🙊

I love that you're pro-Kong. We need a bigger army than just us.

1 hour ago, Eric Wonka said:

People have the right to be negative on something just like you have the right to be positive on something.

Elon, is that you?!

I kid, I kid.

This trailer is dope.

• Like 1

Might be my hype speaking a little bit too much, but i am not worried about this movie box office-wise. The main reason is that March/April 2024 is just ... well, kind of a wasteland. Theres not much competition and if this really delivers on the fun monster stuff like GvK did, i think it does have an outside chance at outgrossing G14' 200M DOM total. After all, GvK grossed over 100M amidst the worst possible pandemic conditions.

• Like 5

Some people just hates fun, like imagine asking for a serious think from Godzilla in Hollywood, it doesn‘t work and we have a lot of dull movies to say this.

They finally letting this be a high budget trash scifi is the best thing ever for this franchise on US.

I already think the climax of GxK is a highlight, super dumb fun. Seems like they decided to make the whole think like this now, amazing. And the visuals seems pretty nice, very colorful and eye candy instead of realistic.

Anyway, reaction on social media for this seems great and the trailer are pulling very strong numbers. No reason at all to expect a flop other than personal feelings. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some people just hates fun, like imagine asking for a serious think from Godzilla in Hollywood, it doesn‘t work and we have a lot of dull movies to say this.

I agree with everything else from this post, but not with this. It is perfectly possible to make a serious, non-silly Godzilla movie, Minus One just proved that perfectly. And just because Hollywood is Hollywood doesnt mean that it woudnt work or that it woudnt make money. Godzilla 2014 was quite serious and its reception, while a bit divisive, has proven to be good.

Godzilla doesnt have to be silly just because its Godzilla. But if you make a silly Godzilla film, imo theres nothing wrong with that as long as you deliver on that premise.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

After seeing Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Minus One this weekend the tonal whiplash from this trailer was something

I guess if you're going to go for pure fantasy cheese you might as well commit 110%

I dare you to watch Gojira (1954), All Monsters Attack (1969) and Godzilla Final Wars (2004) on the same day. I promise youll feel dizzy after that.

• Haha 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

I dare you to watch Gojira (1954), All Monsters Attack (1969) and Godzilla Final Wars (2004) on the same day. I promise youll feel dizzy after that.

I have seen the original and I think I can hold off on the other two lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I agree with everything else from this post, but not with this. It is perfectly possible to make a serious, non-silly Godzilla movie, Minus One just proved that perfectly. And just because Hollywood is Hollywood doesnt mean that it woudnt work or that it woudnt make money. Godzilla 2014 was quite serious and its reception, while a bit divisive, has proven to be good.

Godzilla doesnt have to be silly just because its Godzilla. But if you make a silly Godzilla film, imo theres nothing wrong with that as long as you deliver on that premise.

I think US never really get the political aspect of Godzilla quite right and i keep thinking they won’t, they would need an auteur to do it and i’m not sure WB and Legendary would agreed. 

Japan otherwise is masterful in reinventing Godzilla as a symbol for current times. Shin Godzilla was amazing and Minus One looks fantastical, really looking forward to watch it in 2 weeks when it opens here. 

IMO keeping these 2 paths for the character is a healthy balance, you get the best of Japanese talent for great storytelling while also getting the best fun aspect that the Hollywood high budget machine can provide 

In a purely entertaining level, GxK looks amazing and exciting.

• Like 6

Generally speaking, the pattern with Godzilla films seems to be that the ones where he’s the solo monster tend to be more serious and dramatic, while the ones that have him fighting other monsters are campier and more schlocky.

The big exceptions to this are the Roland Emmerich film, which doesn’t take itself very seriously, and GMK, which does take itself seriously, thought maybe not to the extent of the recent Toho films. I suppose the 2014 film also took itself fairly seriously, but not to the extent that the trailers made it seem. 

In any case, the Monsterverse is all about the monster fights, so at this point, it’s clear that it’s leaning towards the schlockier side of things. I mean, it’s a franchise that exists because the former CEO at Legendary really wanted Godzilla to fight King Kong. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

IMO keeping these 2 paths for the character is a healthy balance, you get the best of Japanese talent for great storytelling while also getting the best fun aspect that the Hollywood high budget machine can provide 

In a purely entertaining level, GxK looks amazing and exciting.

That i wholeheartedly agree with. Its a blessing right now to be a Godzilla fan. If i want the actual great movie with compelling characters and Godzilla as the antagonist, i have Minus One. If i feel like i want to see the more silly, monster mash Godzilla, i have The New Empire coming soon.

I do think if Minus One (and Shin Godzilla) woudnt exist, i would probably be a bit frustrated that the MonsterVerse has gone full late Showa. But now, since we have both versions - i dont see any reasons to complain. 

• Like 2

really dont like the CGI in this one, I remember the other ones looking much better

was that the movie's faustian bargain? giving up what was once its greatest strength, its looks (ie budget) in exchange for letting the franchise continue? 

or is covid fuckery to blame?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Films that take themselves seriously and have something to say are amazing and are the backbone of the medium, but sometimes you just wanna sit in a reclined chair with an ice cold Coke and watch a big lizard punch a big monkey in the face for 90 minutes. This looks like pure Showa madness and I could see it doing big numbers with the clear runway it has next year. 54, Return, Shin and -0 are all great but the goofy and fun side of Godzilla is an equally important part of the brand's identity. I'm not sure why some people think it needs to be one or the other. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

really dont like the CGI in this one, I remember the other ones looking much better

was that the movie's faustian bargain? giving up its nice looks (budget) in exchange for letting the franchise continue? 

I think they have a lot of post-production work left to do is all. This trailer has been in the can for a while most likely and yet there are a couple of shots that already look pretty stunning. And I very much doubt this has a lower budget than GvK.