Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Not really a fair comparison though since last year was way more impacted by the pandemic than this year. Numbers alone dont always tell the whole picture.

Plus, all WB releases were dealing with day and date release on HBO Max. 

What type of opening would FB3 have if people could watch at home for free? I think it would easily shave 25% off the box office. 

• Founder / Operator
13 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Plus, all WB releases were dealing with day and date release on HBO Max. 

What type of opening would FB3 have if people could watch at home for free? I think it would easily shave 25% off the box office. 

Likely depends on the timing. Had FB3 opened during a variant wave like Omicron or Delta, $25-30M or less with hybrid release would have been realistic to expect.

This is an adult female-driven franchise now, so basically worst case scenarios would have been in play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

The Hobbit book doesn't hold a candle to Tolkien's magnum opus LotR. That's not to say it's bad but it being written mainly for younger generations to enjoy it's just not something i hold as dearly. One could say i'm not the target audience.

I remember some people complaining about the tonal inconsistancies in the films, well, that was Peter Jackson trying to incorporate those "childish" aspects of the book, they have Tolkien to thank for that. Sure, one could argue how successful he was in doing so and one could point out Jackson's maybe lesser traits as a filmmaker like his sometimes pretty juvenile sense of humor and sure, stuff like the pretty awful and terribly underdevelopped romance was solely a thing the filmmakers came up with. Yet, despite all that, i think there's quite a bit to love in those films. In terms of fantasy escapism, there's not much else that can compete.

It is a children's book, but it is a fantastic children's book. I don't view that as any less of an accomplishment. I think the movies were at their best when tapping into the lighthearted tone of the books (like the "blunt the knives, bend the forks" scene) and at their worst when they were trying to be LOTR prequels. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fuck this weekend man. This shit is just depressing. And next weekend all 3 openers are likely gonna bomb. Fuck.

Its understandable. Everyone is just saving their money for Jurassic World.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Its understandable. Everyone is just saving their money for Jurassic World.

What is the fun of this even if DS2 and JW3 both open with 200M? I want different breakouts. I wanted unique movies breaking out. As is, it is just a bunch back to back to back bombs of every genre until the next Disneyfied release.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fuck this weekend man. This shit is just depressing. And next weekend all 3 openers are likely gonna bomb. Fuck.

I think The Bad Guys could open to around 17m+. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

What is the fun of this even if DS2 and JW3 both open with 200M? I want different breakouts. I wanted unique movies breaking out. As is, it is just a bunch back to back to back bombs of every genre until the next Disneyfied release.

To be honest, weve had few true bombs this year. Even Morbius can hope to break even globally. And weve had films like Uncharted, Lost City and (yes) Sonic do really solid overall numbers. I dont really share your pessimism on this, i think this year could have gone way worse so far.

True breakouts from original films also need those original films to look appealing, have a great concept and therefore attract the GA. I have high hopes for films like Nope and Bullet Train for that. People wont go to the movies just to go to the movies anymore, that time has passed a long time ago.

• Like 7