Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

10 hours ago, RichWS said:

I haven't seen either FB movie but the way people talk about Crimes of Grindelwald intrigues me. It's really that bad? 

It's not a movie - that's why it's bad.  It's episode 15 of a 23 episode tv season, and brings just about as much of that sense and plotting and pacing to the movie.  I mean, if you didn't know it's in a supposed trilogy/series, it's not good, but it's not the worst thing made - C-/D+ was my grade this week when I saw it.

Pretty meh/bad weekends for both Dumbledore and Sonic though the former did better than I thought it would. The two should combine for $70m+ unlike what was previously feared.

I am curious about Dumbledore’s legs. Will it go sub 100m? The B+ CinemaScore is the exact same as Grindelswald but there’s not much in terms of competition. 

26 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Is it just me or do we have a strange amount of 39-44M openings post pandemic?

With movie subscribers, including 2 of the big 3 chains being practically unlimited viewing, most highly advertised blockbusters will have a floor for viewing...and then you add in GA.

I'll have to pull the big 3's subscriber numbers next time they get reported in wall street docs or the press.

But this range is probably the "norm subscriber use" + "norm GA" without pulling in the "less frequent" or "1 or 2 times/year" GA folks and the "all" of subscribers...

10 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Nope, Hobbit was just a function of the movies not being as good as LOTR. The book is wonderful and very accessible. 

The Hobbit book doesn't hold a candle to Tolkien's magnum opus LotR. That's not to say it's bad but it being written mainly for younger generations to enjoy it's just not something i hold as dearly. One could say i'm not the target audience.

I remember some people complaining about the tonal inconsistancies in the films, well, that was Peter Jackson trying to incorporate those "childish" aspects of the book, they have Tolkien to thank for that. Sure, one could argue how successful he was in doing so and one could point out Jackson's maybe lesser traits as a filmmaker like his sometimes pretty juvenile sense of humor and sure, stuff like the pretty awful and terribly underdevelopped romance was solely a thing the filmmakers came up with. Yet, despite all that, i think there's quite a bit to love in those films. In terms of fantasy escapism, there's not much else that can compete.

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Pretty meh/bad weekends for both Dumbledore and Sonic though the former did better than I thought it would. The two should combine for $70m+ unlike what was previously feared.

I am curious about Dumbledore’s legs. Will it go sub 100m? The B+ CinemaScore is the exact same as Grindelswald but there’s not much in terms of competition. 

Next week's drop is sure to be big. Looking at the second weekend drops for the top 5 Easter openings:

Batman v Superman: 69.1%

Furious 7: 59.5%

The Fate of the Furious: 61.1%

Clash of the Titans: 56.5%

Ready Player One: 41%

The only one to avoid a drop below 56% was an original movie that had a somewhat deflated opening since it officially opened on a Thursday.

Pretty much right where most of us thought SoD would land.  I think with good reviews and more edited storyline best case was something like 55/160.  This will probably land around 42/120. With the dwindling overseas numbers, it probably lands in the 300-350 area.

The question now is does WB care enough about the perception of THEIR relationship/support of Rowling to probably make her happy and either do a fourth or see it through.  I can't see them making the final two, but I can see them doing one more and throwing everything Potter related-centric they have at the wall to close an ugly chapter.  

It's a shame, the film is a substantial step up from CoG but even still the film has the identity crisis that has plagued it since the beginning.  I thought of the three, this had the most heart, evoked the most emotion, particularly in the opening and closing 20 minutes.  He won't be praised for it enough because of the reception of these films and controverseries surrounding them but Jude Law is an EXCEPTIONAL Dumbledore.  That really came through in this film. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Pretty much right where most of us thought SoD would land.  I think with good reviews and more edited storyline best case was something like 55/160.  This will probably land around 42/120. With the dwindling overseas numbers, it probably lands in the 300-350 area.

The question now is does WB care enough about the perception of THEIR relationship/support of Rowling to probably make her happy and either do a fourth or see it through.  I can't see them making the final two, but I can see them doing one more and throwing everything Potter related-centric they have at the wall to close an ugly chapter.  

It's a shame, the film is a substantial step up from CoG but even still the film has the identity crisis that has plagued it since the beginning.  I thought of the three, this had the most heart, evoked the most emotion, particularly in the opening and closing 20 minutes.  He won't be praised for it enough because of the reception of these films and controverseries surrounding them but Jude Law is an EXCEPTIONAL Dumbledore.  That really came through in this film. 

those legs seem too good. More like 42/100-105

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

those legs seem too good. More like 42/100-105

You could definitely be right, I just think there's really not much of a market until DS and my gut feeling is most of the Potter base is going to like this film.  I think it will be enough to get that extra 10-15 million domestic.

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Even with 41.1m opening, FB3 will still be bigger than any films opened in 2021 for WB

I'm not sure that's a badge of honor FB3 wants. Market place may not be at  pre-pandemic level but it's a lot closer to it than 2021 was. No way to spin it, 40-42M is a bad opening for it. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Even with 41.1m opening, FB3 will still be bigger than any films opened in 2021 for WB

Not really a fair comparison though since last year was way more impacted by the pandemic than this year. Numbers alone dont always tell the whole picture.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
10 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

This.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Is it just me or do we have a strange amount of 39-44M openings post pandemic?

Looks like we have the new (temporary maybe, we'll see) $50M, where so many mid-range tentpoles opened for several years (Dunkirk, Star Trek Beyond, Bourne 5, War/Apes, Wick 3, etc.).

Whenever we hit true post-pandemic, I'll be curious to see if that sweet spot goes up again. But for now, it'll do.

• Like 2