Eric the Ape

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Omg, I remember some month ago we were talking about how overcrowded this late-march and april was. So the so called “overcrowded” marketplace is that out of 4 openers, only one managed to pass 100m total comfortably? Not to mention we may miss 100m weekend total for this Easter! 

Our moviegoing is suffering long covid for sure. 

To be fair, the crowding was in comparison to January and February, which was deserted. And part of the issue is that this month has had some just plain bad films. 

Still, it's really not been great. It's looking to be a relatively light summer as well, that the idea of a full return to normal looks farther away than it has been. 

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Do you have a % vs previews?

Yea so I took the previews #s at all five theaters, took their Friday #s and did the “if their previews is equivalent to 6M, what’s their Friday # equivalent to” calculation and all of them surprisingly ended up in that 14.5-15.5 range.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yea so I took the previews #s at all five theaters, took their Friday #s and did the “if their previews is equivalent to 6M, what’s their Friday # equivalent to” calculation and all of them surprisingly ended up in that 14.5-15.5 range.

Cool, gotcha. Iirc MTC1&2 generally have higher share for previews, so mtc4 share should be higher on Fri and national increase should be bit less than MTC4 increase. But I won't venture a specific guess, we'll know in like 4 hrs anyway.

Edited by Thanos Legion

I actually really liked the first Beasts, and whilst the second was plodding I still quite enjoyed it myself. 
Putting my box office hat on I totally get that the last one put the masses off that aren’t uber fans of this world. I expected SoD to take a hit. 

Looking forward to seeing it. Although the fact I haven’t been yet when I saw the previous two and all 8 Potters opening day says it all really. 

Sonic 2 showing further signs that it is behaving less like a family film and more like an anticipated sequel (duh) with some frontloading. Given the good-to-great WOM though, it should stabilize after this 2nd weekend.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Sonic 2 showing further signs that it is behaving less like a family film and more like an anticipated sequel (duh) with some frontloading. Given the good-to-great WOM though, it should stabilize after this 2nd weekend.

It behaved like a family film over the weekdays a bit too much was the problem, with those weekdays, this is what the best case scenario was. Still see problems with any sort of strong recovery with The Bad Guys and to a much larger but later extent Strange 2. Probably closer to 26m than 28m for the weekend though.

Dumbledore is decent, probably around 41-44m

Edited by YourMother

Awful for Sonic, what the fuck kind of drop is that. Expected after the weekdays but it still hurts.

Dumbledore will hit low 40s. At least it isn't going under Morbius.