Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

Hi.

Been a long couple weeks, hasn't it?

tumblr_mbeg3u395G1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Ever since the first Fantastic Beasts, the creatives that are part of this sub-series of Harry Potter have been under scrutiny and controversy. And as we reach The Secrets of Dumbledore, everybody and their cat has some hot take and opinion on either J. K. Rowling, Johnny Depp and/or Ezra Miller and their actions over the past few years. And the truth of the matter is that here on BOT, whether we like it or not, we will talk about these individuals and their numerous statements and actions all throughout this weekend. We will talk about how they potentially hindered or helped Dumbledore’s gross, even though some will argue they are not a factor, and whether these individuals should return for any future Potter/Wizarding World productions. And depending on how the numbers go, this will likely be a very heated weekend. Things are already starting to get antsy for many users.

So, here’s the compromise: you can talk about Rowling/Depp/Miller, but only within the context of how these figures affected the box office for Secrets of Dumbledore, as well as the future of the franchise. And even then, no insults, no hyperbole, no conspiracy, no bemoaning about Twitter or "cancel culture", etc. If you want to talk about Rowling or Depp in particular and their controversies in a general sense, good or bad, visit the following threads in The Real World:

If you want an example on what we accept and what we will refuse, here’s the following:

Good post: “Honestly, it’s frustrating that a lot of the backlash hurt Fantastic Beasts’ potential. Without it, we would have finished the series.”

Bad post: “I can’t believe cancel culture destroyed this woman’s career. These trans activists are all so stupid. Twitter sucks. What is this planet coming to?”

Good post: “I think this movie’s great opening shows Johnny Depp’s case isn’t as prominent as some might think, and that he wasn't a big asset for the other films.”

Bad post: “Go Johnny! Show Amber who’s boss!”

Good post: “I think this movie has potential to play better with fans and audiences compared to movie critics and that we will see better than expected legs.”

Bad post: “These elitist critics are out to get this movie. They all have an agenda! They’re only pretending to hate it to look woke!”

Failure in doing so will result in an instant threadban. No exceptions. We also strongly encourage posters to report anybody who is going out of line in any way. We can’t be here at every single moment and most of us likely have family commitments, being a holiday weekend and all. A report gives us the alert about stuff going down, ensures somebody will take a look at it, and goes a long way in keeping things under control.

Otherwise, you all know the rules at this point. Be nice, be courteous, no spoilers, and don’t be a dick. Also read @Cap and her thread that discusses the updates to our rules and policies. As per usual, she says things better than I ever could.

If you think any of this is unfair, then I suggest you leave, at least for this weekend. These are the rules and we’re sticking to them, and there's plenty of other places online where you can talk Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts.

This thread will be unlocked when we get domestic previews officially announced.

Happy Easter and take care!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611423a4b5a5c8081775d

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I legit got a hearty laugh from this. Tip of the hat, my good sir.

In all seriousness, I do think a new director or more for future Wizarding World films and perhaps Rowling taking a more backseat role. I've suggested JA Bayona as my preferred choice as I think he could bring something new to the table. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

At least 40M must happen, right?

Ehhhh it depends on WOM and fan rush. The verified audience score is at 84% which is kind of mediocre for a blockbuster.

• Sad 1

Maybe 17-18M full Friday? Even with such numbers a sub 40M opening is likely. Previous calender patterns indicate a drop from the true Friday. If that happens I can see a 10.5-11M Sat and a 7.5-8M Sun. Overall total at 35-37M opening. Honestly an opening below Morbius looks disastrous imo. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Tokugennumataka said:

Maybe 17-18M full Friday? Even with such numbers a sub 40M opening is likely. Previous calender patterns indicate a drop from the true Friday. If that happens I can see a 10.5-11M Sat and a 7.5-8M Sun. Overall total at 35-37M opening. Honestly an opening below Morbius looks disastrous imo. 

morbius-morbius-sweep.gif

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

I remember when I went to see Order of the Phoenix at midnight and the crowd literally went around the theater, it was one of the things that propelled my interest in box office. I'm sure that somehow 40 million for a Harry Potter opening will get spun as good by a couple of people, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Here's something that legit bugs me with these Morbius Sweep memes. Why are fries and beans part of these GIFs? Is there a joke I'm missing?

You don't understand the Morbius Sweep. You just embrace it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1