AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

Didn't see a thread for this yet. Announced in January and evidently started filming last month in Atlanta

Garland will direct the film set in a near-future America from his original screenplay. Details as far as its plot are being kept under wraps.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/civil-war-kirsten-dunst-more-to-star-in-alex-garland-a24-film-1234917411/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17279496/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbbUNKUuQQq/

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

"We are working [on it] right now. We've been shooting for a month already, and it's been great. I can't tell you a lot about the film yet, but I'm a fan of Garland and I'm excited to be working with Kirsten Dunst, the great Stephen Henderson, who is an actor that I have a lot of admiration for. And this young, amazing actress called Cailee Spaeny. So it's the four of us in a car, trying to figure this Civil War out."

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/837419/wagner-moura-teases-alex-garlands-a24-action-movie-civil-war-exclusive/

Edited by AniNate

Is this the prequel to Alex Garland's Dredd?  Because that movie fucking ruled.

The discourse around this movie is going to be amazing.  🍿

And I did laugh at California and Texas appearing to be on the same side.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Is this the prequel to Alex Garland's Dredd?  Because that movie fucking ruled.

The discourse around this movie is going to be amazing.  🍿

And I did laugh at California and Texas appearing to be on the same side.

maybe the divide is not just left vs right but something more? 

Just now, Torontofan said:

Yeah non movie related the only way the usa goes in to civil war today is a battle over resources then over pronouns. 

I mean, certainly possible that is in fact what the movie's about

I can see climate change being a factor

Ideally people would ask questions like "why would cal and tex work together" out of sincere curiosity more than rhetorical dismissiveness.

Garland has been saying this'll be his last film so I don't know if its success will matter much as far as he's concerned, but gonna keep beating the original auteur movie drum here. Hopefully it finds a receptive audience.

Maybe the Texas/California alliance indicates the film has other, more fundamental political things on its mind than trying to figure out the exact specifics of a potential civil war in the current real world?

That would be much more preferable to the likely trite neolib bullshit its going to be, especially in an election year.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Looks very dumb but not in a fun way, I'd much rather see the junkier, trashier take on this material with Gerard Butler or someone. Saw someone online joke that A24 is now making "elevated" direct to video action movies...and yeah.

Yeah I think Butler would be well suited for this actually 

Greeland was  one of the better end of the world movies i seen in the past few years.