Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

3 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

I never said that. Like I said, if every single show and movie was amazing, and I loved every single one of them, I would still get burnt out. The same thing every week will get boring and tiring, at least for me. But if the fans are adamant that the masses will totally never get sick of it and every movie will make a bajillion dollars from now until the end of time, I guess I'm the idiot.

Well the thing is people already skip the movies/shows they don't care about and have done so since the beginning. So it's not like the average Marvel viewer is watching everything as it comes out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Well the thing is people already skip the movies/shows they don't care about and have done so since the beginning. So it's not like the average Marvel viewer is watching everything as it comes out.

This is the most key part of the whole endeavor.

15 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I really liked him in IW and NWH (especially the scene where he says goodbye to Peter), but he was flat on his own in MoM.

I've seen people say he'll be the new lead for the Avengers now that Iron Man is gone but I just don't see it. I don't see fans that invested in him. He'll probably be the key plot driver for the Avengers moving forward, but the heart is just not there. 

I've said he's the focal character (thusfar) for this phase ... but doesn't mean he's as likeable (as a character, not the actor)

Stark was like the cool uncle: a little immature, anti-authority, reckless, but usually came through at the end. Strange is like your dad: arrogant, "wise", and only gets involved to help clean up someone else's mess

Cumberbatch's accent is wacky but I just feel Steven is a boring/dislikable dude, it's not really Cumberbatch's fault.

If you need to replace RDJ's charisma to keep the whole thing together well your problem is that RDJ as Iron Man was a lightning in a bottle thing.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

yeah this is the thing. lots of handwringing here about how you need to have a phd in marvel studies to understand these movies now but 90% of audiences can shrug it off. like if i'm watching with a friend who's confused i can just say "it's a wandavision thing" and they'll be like "oh ok" and roll with it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Cumberbatch's accent is wacky but I just feel Steven is a boring/dislikable dude, it's not really Cumberbatch's fault.

If you need to replace RDJ's charisma to keep the whole thing together well your problem is that RDJ as Iron Man was a lightning in a bottle thing.

Yeah Cumberbatch is obviously a phenomenal actor but he just doesn't have RDJ's movie star wattage. I feel like superhero movies don't necessarily need a good actor as much as they need someone with charisma. It's why Christian Bale isn't really a good Batman - he's an actor not a movie star. Same with Brie Larson. Rarely will you get someone who is a great actor and a movie star (RDJ).

Occasionally you will get someone who is neither (Simu Liu)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know the MCU is putting a lot of content out there and it can be exhausting but I have the impression that Phase 4 onwards the MCU will spread a lot more (Multiverse, Young Avengers, Supernatural, Street heroes...) that will likely come together to fight a big bad guy in Avengers 6/7, whereas Phases 1-3 only focused on Infinity Saga. Let's see if this works out, it is definitely a big challenge but hopefully they make it work. I have the impression that we are just at the beginning of the next puzzle and some of the meltdowns here remind me of the meltdowns for Age of Ultron and Civil War where people claimed that the MCU had reached its peak (I wasn't registered yet but those threats were fun to read).

• Like 8

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

People forget Marvel now have Xmen, Deadpool and F4. Ah yes, we will have a real Venom and not this clown in The Sony universe

How popular is even Venom as a villain ? he's stock has been going down. The numbers from V1 to V2 show downfall.  

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Strange is cool and people here are underestimating his popularity and likability.

To be clear, *I* like him as a character ... but that cold arrogance is a turn-off to a lot a people, particularly women. Stark was the ultimate surface-level asshole who secretly wants to be better, easy to root for. Strange is who he is, not going to have a Grinch moment where his heart grows 3 sizes

• Like 1

Okay sure, you don’t have to watch them. But the thing is that you can’t really ignore them. They’re still discussed all over social media, you’ll hear it as a water cooler thing at work. You still get to hear about Marvel every week whether you like it or not. That still can account for burnout or fatigue IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

How popular is even Venom as a villain ? he's stock has been going down. The numbers from V1 to V2 show downfall.  

He is really popular Now. And Insomniac give him a big boost in The next game so when Spidey4 come out his popularity will be giant