filmlover

Saltburn | 11/17/23 NY/LA, 11/22 expansion | Amazon | Emerald Fennell's follow-up to Promising Young Woman | Rosamund Pike, Jacob Elordi, Barry Keoghan

https://deadline.com/2023/09/saltburn-release-date-emerald-fennell-carey-mulligan-jacob-elordi-1235448195/

UPDATE: In the wake of notching a shiny 82% fresh Rotten Tomatoes score with critics coming out of its Telluride Film Festival premiere, Saltburn from Oscar winning filmmaker Emerald Fennell is going a week earlier on Nov. 17, limited. MGM will then expand the film on Nov. 22 to take advantage of holiday moviegoers.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I guess 10m-ish is the celling for LGBT movies. CMBYN, Bottoms, Bros and now Saltburn are stuck in this range. Just wonder how the hell Brokeback mountain can gross 80m++, even by pre-streaming era that is crazy.   

Oh, I heard Saltburn wasn't as "gay" as people had hoped, as part of the mixed reviews. I've seen it likened to The Talented Mr. Ripley but 25 years later maybe people want something more to happen between the leads.

Also, I think Saltburn, Bottoms and Bros were courting edginess and provocation in a way that Brokeback Mountain wasn't, really, though I guess in 2005, having love scenes between the male leads of a Western was pretty edgy stuff. But Brokeback was more of a romantic drama and not caustic or satirical in tone, and each thing can pull in a different audience.

With Call Me By Your Name, IIRC there were complaints from fans about its rollout being too slow or not timed in a way to maximize the box office. It made $18m domestic but there was a feeling then of money being left on the table.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Loved this! Keoghan is a beast, easily the best actor in his current crop. E. Grant was a lot of fun too. Beautiful to look at. I love how all Richard E. Grant wants in this movie is a child who reads percy shelley and instead he’s stuck with two kids who read rowling lol