Eric Lasagna

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

Me normally: ugh, capitalism sucks, these big corporations and ultra-rich folks hogging so much wealth.

Also me when a quarter-billion-dollar movie does well at the box office, makes buttloads of cash for a big corporation, and makes rich people richer: ooooooo yay!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Great points. We saw the signs in The Batman run... As general audiences get hip to these movies being basically free 45 days later, how can that not have a deleterious effect during the actual 45-day theatrical windows?

I see most SH movies that i like a minimum of 2-3 times in theaters. Or i used to.

I loved The Batman but only went once because i knew they would release it on stream just around the corner. So agree. It matters alot

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I honestly hate the fact that movies now get on streaming platforms after 30, 45 or 90, 120 days.

I hate that. I guarantee that there is a growing number of people who will never return to seeing movies in theaters because of this. Because many people are lazy and they know that they just have to wait a few weeks/months until they can watch every movie from their couches.

I know its an irreversable trend and that we also have arrived here at some point even if Covid wasnt a thing. But im just sad about it. 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Any idea of Neon's release plans for Crimes of the Future next weekend? It's already booked at a couple chain theaters near me (with Thursday previews no less) which makes me think it'll be in a somewhat wide release. Which would be an interesting choice.

As with Titane, going wide(-ish) right away is best because it's not gonna be an audience-building WOM player. Cronenberg heads / reviews-following movie buffs already know they want to see it, might as well get what money you can from them especially on an otherwise empty weekend.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I honestly hate the fact that movies now get on streaming platforms after 30, 45 or 90, 120 days.

I hate that. I guarantee that there is a growing number of people who will never return to seeing movies in theaters because of this. Because many people are lazy and they know that they just have to wait a few weeks/months until they can watch every movie from their couches.

I know its an irreversable trend and that we also have arrived here at some point even if Covid wasnt a thing. But im just sad about it. 

#FireBobChapek for ruining Encanto and putting Turning Red straight to streaming. Shame on him, what has he done to succeed during and post-covid?

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Paramount is desperate to make Paramount+ happen. Newsflash: it's not going to (at least in their current state)! Even Peacock is more likely to survive.

I disagree with this. I’d say Paramount+ has more to offer than Peacock. 

It launches here properly in a few weeks, whereas Peacock was just added as a channel on an existing service. 

14 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

#FireBobChapek for ruining Encanto and putting Turning Red straight to streaming. Shame on him, what has he done to succeed during and post-covid?

Yes...that's why he should be fired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This thing will still be making money by July. Studio execs are fucking idiots.

It'll be top 5 until July when Minions opens. Could still remain Top 10 until July 15th? But 22nd and 29th only have a total of 2 new releases so maybe top 10 until August. So about 10 weeks

4 hours ago, Borf the Borf said:

Cool but like your site excludes Pirates Thurs take on your leader board,,  So you are correcting them for properly reporting on your statistic?  I know they butchered it afterwards but your site reports the record as not  including Thursday.   I actually emailed yall about this last week and how its a sham.  

Pirates' Thurs was always included in the TOTAL gross on the site... Besides, Deadline wasn't even claiming to use Box Office Mojo as the source. Quite the contrary, their goal was to discredit Box Office Mojo. But they ended up exposing their own lack of "authority."

I agree that Box Office Mojo should be updated to clarify this whole issue of preview grosses, but I do not have the access to make those updates.

Back in 2007, I don't think Disney liked that I sifted out the Thursday preview gross, but my policy was to exclude preview grosses for every movie... because the weekend is Fri-Sat-Sun, to keep comparisons apples-to-apples, etc... That's still my policy.

BUT if someone's going to claim a new record using preview grosses, you better be damn sure I'm going to say something to correct that record... Again, if Top Gun: Maverick gets to count preview grosses, then so does At World's End and every previous movie... Apples-to-apples... Live by the sword, die by the sword... and such.

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Pirates' Thurs was always included in the TOTAL gross on the site... Besides, Deadline wasn't even claiming to use Box Office Mojo as the source. Quite the contrary, their goal was to discredit Box Office Mojo. But they ended up exposing their own lack of "authority."

I agree that Box Office Mojo should be updated to clarify this whole issue of preview grosses, but I do not have the access to make those updates.

Back in 2007, I don't think Disney liked that I sifted out the Thursday preview gross, but my policy was to exclude preview grosses for every movie... because the weekend is Fri-Sat-Sun, to keep comparisons apples-to-apples, etc... That's still my policy.

BUT if someone's going to claim a new record using preview grosses, you better be damn sure I'm going to say something to correct that record... Again, if Top Gun: Maverick gets to count preview grosses, then so does At World's End and every previous movie... Apples-to-apples... Live by the sword, die by the sword... and such.

Yea man I feel ya,  I just really would love this extra column,  . . . . . really mean uh a lot to me.   Hah🤣, anywyas thanks for the info over hte years .Cheers   I enjoyed the clubhouse,  first one i ever saw.  I never had a apple phone but i guess you can listen through web now.

hkZ1tSq.png

Edited by Borf the Borf

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Hell no it isn't insane.  It will do a ton of business.  

The window should match the movie and performance with no less than a 45 day.  If the movie is like NWH or TG2, then leave it theatrical for 120 days.  If it bombs or underperforms like The Northman, then 45 days is fine.  

What in the fuck is the rush to get these things on streaming where they will literally live forever.  Take you time and ride out all 3 viable revenue streams to their maximum.  1) Theatrical 2) PVOD 3) "Free" streaming

Agree... Let the windows match the movies!

That's right, streaming is forever... so let the movies live in theaters as long as they can... some movies will be fruit flies, some will be tortoises... it's all good... just live and let live

Edited by Brandon Gray
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Problem is, everyone is trying so hard to add content to their own streaming service, which "necessitates" having a shorter (or no) theatrical run and adding value to the service. But that only kneecaps exhibition, which remains the only venue that can generate sufficient revenue to justify the initial expenditure. Netflix is surely taking a bath on Stranger Things S4 given the budget

Too many platforms, not enough content to fill them, and theaters are often getting the short end of the stick - that can only go for so long

Eventually everyone will figure this out, streaming will contract to fewer services, we'll get back to licensing agreements, but my worry is what will be left of exhibition when that dust finally settles? My expectation is already that some decent number of locations just aren't going to make the cut in the new business model, but the more studios are willing to leave BO$ on the table to help their own streaming services, the higher the cut line becomes

• Like 1

Yeah, I am out if ST4. I have no time for this. The bullies storyline with Eleven is pointless. This feels like massive filler to have 90 minutes episodes. Give me the fucking main plot and not this shit.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Paramount should have gone for a clean 153M 4 day weekend in order to end this stupid nonsense with Disney.

My fear now is that there could be some funny business to save face...

Hope everything is above the board. Don't want to have any shadows cast upon Top Gun: Maverick and its amazing box office.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

I see most SH movies that i like a minimum of 2-3 times in theaters. Or i used to.

I loved The Batman but only went once because i knew they would release it on stream just around the corner. So agree. It matters alot

Same... The quick HBO Max release cost them repeat business from me... and I imagine many others.

• Like 4