Eric is Anxious

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

For comparison sure, but records be what they be for the "as it happened" data, not for "well if it was today..." If we want to take that route then Pirates and SM3 never broke the OW record since it would rightly belong to Revenge of the Sith. 

Got no issues with the comparison angle, but BOM isn't wrong as Deadline is so highly trying to claim. That said, I could always play the inflation card 🤣 POTC3 gets to keep the record then (oh the memories of seeing that flick in theaters.) 

Eh, dmc took the record in 2006 by the accounting standards of 2006. Sm3 took it in 2007 by the accounting standards of 2007. Using 2022 accounting standards in 2022 is perfectly consistent with that.  

That said I wouldn't say that BOM is "wrong" per se either. More that it might not be right to use the "right" figure.

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To think two years ago, people were claiming the death of cinema and going out in general. I wonder if they'll be eating humble pie now.

yep. There were a few of us on here confident that the movies would bite back like they always do. Against insane adversity they’ve done it again. 

why? Because there is nothing comparable to the experience people are having watching Maverick, massive with a sold out crowd this weekend.  

as awful as the pandemic has been, its let the studios try out what it would be like to put out their movies directly to consumers - and the answers have been ultimately deafening. They need theatres. 

• Like 1

it has been a glorious night for me, watched Morbius tonight as my #3 movie out of 14 seen so far, watched an episode of Obi-Wan, and soon to watch the rest of Kenobi.  

Spoiler

8 - The Batman

8 - Scream 5

5 - Morbius

4 - Moonfall

4 - Uncharted

4 - Jackass Forever

4 - X

4 - The Lost City

4 - The 355

3 - Marry Me

3 - Umma

3 - Dog

3 - Death on the Nile

2 - Redeeming Love

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

2015 tracking was very rudimentary. I dont think we even had fandango scrap available back then. Not sure even if @Porthos was doing regional tracking. I know @grim22 used to track LA area and few folks used to post for other cities. 

Now we get so much perspective and full MTC data. its impossible to be shocked by any BO. but its possible to be shocked on Day 1 of PS and sometimes like Venom 2 the breakout started like 7-10 days to release when PS started going up and up. 

I would rephrase that second part to say that it’s still possible to be not shocked by BO, but definitely surprised. But with the data available, even then the surprises are often noticeable days if not weeks before they happen, and within a much smaller range of possible outcomes (Venom’s late surge and NTTD’s plateau are notable recent examples)

Gone are the days of a film opening +/-40-50% from the consensus forecasts the week of release. But enough variability, nuance and inherent bias in predictions to keep a level of suspense and make tracking interesting 

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

Maybe one day I’ll run some stats on the amount of % variation movies show relative their fml pricing target (Monday 5 pacific of release week). Broken down by weekend size/number weeks now release. The biggest surprises are from small opens and movies with extreme reception in either direction, especially if the embargo is after then,

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Top Gun: Maverick is gonna be the #1 grosser this summer (domestically). Wild.

Absolutely positively did not see that coming and that's why the box-office game continues to be the best.

I woudnt be so sure if it can outgross both JW and Thor.

• Like 1

I watched 'Top Gun: Maverick' yesterday night. It is definitely not my type of movie. The third act was incredible though. Glad to see something that does not involve superheroes get big numbers, makes me really excited for the rest of the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Imagine if we get three +$500M movies this summer, it'd be amazing. 

• Like 2

Just now, AN9815 said:

Id love to see that. Would also send the right message to the industry that theatrical moviegoing is here to stay relevant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$52.5m Friday all in.  

Not surprised it came down a bit - those late shoes are atypically weaker for a film of this size opening 

penciling in $52.5/39/37.5/28 = $157 4-day OW, but not going to be shocked if Sat tops $40M 

Just now, M37 said:

Not surprised it came down a bit - those late shoes are atypically weaker for a film of this size opening 

penciling in $52.5/39/37.5/28 = $157 4-day OW, but not going to be shocked if Sat tops $40M 

Still very fantastic. After all, MI: RN and FA had awesome Saturday increases vs. their True Fridays even during the summer time.

27 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

If they had more PLF screens at multiplexes I think this would be even more likely. 

how many movies with repeat viewings have we all not ended up going to because of a lack of PLF. 

I’ll see Top Gun another two times before it gets booted out of IMAX for the dinosaur movie on June 10. I’d have likely seen it a couple more times if it wasn’t for that. 

That is the main takeaway for me as to where multiplexes need to go next. 
Top Gun and Jurassic World should really be available all day/every day in IMAX/PLF for a month minimum. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

Saw this post on Twitter….

”Saw Top Gun: Maverick again. Sitting next to me was an old man, there with his 30-something son. After one scene where Maverick does something really amazing, the man cheered and pounded the armrest with his fist. When the movie ended the old man and his son hugged”

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Can I say I am not so sure about Thor anymore? I am starting to wonder if it will indeed beat Ragnarok. I dunno, just feel that movie had a lot more going on in terms of hype and marketing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Watched this last night with the fam. If you still think this will not interest young people, think again. Theater was full of us and classic moments and a classic, well, you'll see, got Endgame cheers. Saturday will blow up. Cool planes + action + daddy issues + bromance + above all else TOM CRUISE at his most charismatic (how does he outdo himself?) = Summer Winner. Believe the hype! ✈️

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

TBG still held very well. It's looking like it can make it to $100m thanks to fudging from JWD and Minions 2. If I'm not mistaken, that's highest non-Disney and non-sequel animated grosser to reach that mark since Trolls.

Edited by LegendaryBen