Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

This isn’t the first time Brandon Gray has busted Paramount. The other geezers like me probably remember when Paramount fudged the 5-day gross of Transformers 2 to reach $200M. Brandon nailed them in his reporting. He even put an asterisk on the report. Paramount gave some BS excuse about finding money in Puerto Rico. It was pretty damn funny. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I guess I've seen other flicks by the filmmaker miss like Atomic Blonde. It did fine but wasn't as big as expected. By the way, Atomic Blonde is my favorite film by him. Also, and I absolutely hate saying this, I think a lot of the general audiences look at it like something that could've went straight to streaming. I certainly don't but others will. I think Brad Pitt being the lead is huge though. Sandra Bullock is in it too, no? That will help. I personally hope it blows up at the box office but I don't see it blowing up. I expect something like 50jM to 75M DOM for it. I'm hoping it somehow does 100M+ DOM though.

That Netflix Gray Man nonsense will likely steal some of it's thunder too. Disappointing that that one isn't a major theatrical release.

Thanks for answering. You're right about many people thinking that this is a movie for streaming services. I've reas that reactions to test screenings were good . IDK🥲 what do you mean that Grey Man will steal from it's thunder? Bullet Train will be released in August.

Edited by Thena

1 minute ago, Thena said:

Thanks for answering. You're right about many people thinking that this is a movie for streaming services. I've reas that reactions to test screenings were good . IDK🥲 what do you mean that Grey Man will steal from it's thunder? Bullet Train will be released in August.

Oh, my mistake... I thought it was a late July release. I checked just now and it's 8/5. I guess my thinking or fear was that if Gray Man is a good action comedy which high quality action beats that might soak up some of the demand or thirst for another one that releases less than a month later. I truly hope that's not the case. I really can't wait for Bullet Train. Looks like a blast.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This isn’t the first time Brandon Gray has busted Paramount. The other geezers like me probably remember when Paramount fudged the 5-day gross of Transformers 2 to reach $200M. Brandon nailed them in his reporting. He even put an asterisk on the report. Paramount gave some BS excuse about finding money in Puerto Rico. It was pretty damn funny. 

Oh, yeah! I remember it well. Haha! Not quite a geezer but I guess a lot of the people posting here are still in their teens? Or, I guess in their twenties... I'm in my thirties. So, around these parts, geezer is about right! Ha!

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That is why I am siding Disney’s claim now unless TGM come above 153m in the end. We should make apple-apple comparison. Yes indeed Thursday preview wasn’t part of the weekend number in the past but doesn’t mean we can’t unwind them. 3pm preview + two days of early access basically means a full Thursday opening. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Ah, so that’s where the Puerto Rico jokes stem fromGIF by iHeartRadio

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

That is why I am siding Disney’s claim now unless TGM come above 153m in the end. We should make apple-apple comparison. Yes indeed Thursday preview wasn’t part of the weekend number in the past but doesn’t mean we can’t unwind them. 3pm preview + two days of early access basically means a full Thursday opening. 

Apples to Apples would be over $200M for Pirates 3. Ticket prices are 33% higher now. There are also premium screens like IMAX to boost the movies now. Those formats did not exist in 2007 for Hollywood movies. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Apples to Apples would be over $200M for Pirates 3. Ticket prices are 33% higher now. There are also premium screens like IMAX to boost the movies now. Those formats did not exist in 2007 for Hollywood movies. 

But box office reporting in the business sense has always been nominal, unadjusted for inflation, ER and other factors. This is the industry norm. 

Simple. The record is 153M. 

Also likely TGM will do more than that. 

And not just that, pre 2013 there will be couple of films with THU previews not added in OD like they do now.

Man of Steel had 7PM-Midnight previews of $12M for $128M OW.

Iron Man had $3.5M Pre-midnight previews for $102M OW.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Simple. The record is 153M. 

Also likely TGM will do more than that. 

And not just that, pre 2013 there will be couple of films with THU previews not added in OD like they do now.

Man of Steel had 7PM-Midnight previews of $12M for $128M OW.

Iron Man had $3.5M Pre-midnight previews for $102M OW.

The most interesting ones are further back, record breakers in the time when a couple million bucks might have cost them the record. It didn’t cost them, but it could have. 

Batman 89

Batman Returns

Jurassic Park

JP2: Lost World 

All of them had Thursday previews excluded from the weekend total, but all of them still managed to break the opening weekend record in 1989, 1992, 1993, and 1997. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The most interesting ones are further back, record breakers in the time when a couple million bucks might have cost them the record. It didn’t cost them, but it could have. 

Batman 89

Batman Returns

Jurassic Park

JP2: Lost World 

All of them had Thursday previews excluded from the weekend total, but all of them still managed to break the opening weekend record in 1989, 1992, 1993, and 1997. 

It is common for box office reporting methods to change but if there are any changes I suppose historically they should be adjusted also. 

Besides way these early access are being done and THU is basically a full day now, there should be some change in reporting them. 

Earlier today I was reading Pirates coverage.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End stormed a record number of ports—over 11,000 screens at 4,362 theaters—and posted the fifth-highest grossing opening day ever, an estimated $43 million, according to distributor Buena Vista. Including an estimated $14 million from pre-midnight Thursday previews at approximately 3,100 sites, the supernatural swashbuckler has racked up $57 million in about a day and a half.

Last July, predecessor Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest grabbed a then-record $55.8 million, which included about $9 million from midnight showings. Buena Vista estimated At World's End's midnight showings at $3 million (included in the $43 million), but initial demand was burnt off from Thursday night.

"We knew by putting shows early it would take away from the opening day," said Buena Vista's president of distribution Chuck Viane, ruling out the possibility of breaking Spider-Man 3's $151.1 million opening weekend record. "Today [Saturday] is the key to how we're going to do." Viane noted that At World's End's grade from CinemaScore, which polls opening night moviegoers, was an "A-," about the same as Dead Man's Chest.

1 hour ago, Show Me The Legion said:

People just like to dunk on Disney, the particulars of the situation are immaterial 😛 

Thank goodness for the warriors in shining knight who will stand up for a vile and greedy corporation who has done endless amounts of shady tactics for greed. Sure, all corporations are like that, but as a movie fan having to see one of the gatekeepers of the artform I hold dear to my heart, it's insanity to believe there are people who will defend Disney - who are known to bully theater owners, trying to trademark holidays, send good theatrical propostions to streaming for the fucking Hell of it, sleeching endless amounts of money off nostalgia for 95% of every other thing they make, etc. - just because they own good IP.

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Thank goodness for the warriors in shining knight who will stand up for a vile and greedy corporation who has done endless amounts of shady tactics for greed. Sure, all corporations are like that, but as a movie fan having to see one of the gatekeepers of the artform I hold dear to my heart, it's insanity to believe there are people who will defend Disney - who are known to bully theater owners, trying to trademark holidays, send good theatrical propostions to streaming for the fucking Hell of it, sleeching endless amounts of money off nostalgia for 95% of every other thing they make, etc. - just because they own good IP.

I mean, yea. This is why I support Disney. I want to see the giant with my favorite IP's crush the little people. It's my fetish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You're literally proving the point. Your post has nothing about the facts of the situation at hand, it's just an unrelated tangent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1