Eric the Minion

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I disagree here. Back in 2015, even days before JW opened ... there was practically no "hype". If you go back to those threads, you would see that the most optimistic predictions for it where in the 120M OW region except for the lunatic @excel1.

Thats why its opening was so suprising and epic because nobody saw it coming. I would honestly say the hype for Dominion is a lot bigger right now (atleast online) than it ever was for JW. Ofc that doesnt have to mean that it will also approach 200M OW even though i believe in divine justice and thus in 210M+ OW, but yeah, i see a lot more hype among fans for it than for either JW or FK back in 2015/18.

I feel like people forget that it broke the OW record.

possibly the most forgotten breaking of the record since Ghostbusters 2

• Like 1

There’s a great The Big Picture podcast ranking the top ten Cruise movies. Well worth a listen, and they really struggle to narrow it down to a definitive ten. Sort of thing only us nerds would argue about. 

For me, the definitive ten (only counting one of a franchise)….

Risky Business

Top Gun

Rain Man

A Few Good Men

The Firm

Mission: Impossible

Jerry Maguire

Eyes Wide Shut

Magnolia

Collateral

i love a ton of others but they’re variations on similar characters in the above ten.  Born on the 4th July he’s amazing in, but it’s not something I’d ever want to throw on.

I have massive nostalgia for Cocktail and Days of Thunder. The former when he’s behind that bar mixing those drinks was the coolest thing I’d ever seen when I was a kid.  Brian Flanagan rules. 

• Like 2

What, no love for the Last Samurai? That's a TC flick I watched 100 times. Great bromance, great action, great score, great vistas. My favorite scene is when TC gets beaten in the rain but still keeps rising up and picking up his wooden sword. 

Edited by Valonqar

7 minutes ago, Felandria said:

I feel like people forget that it broke the OW record.

possibly the most forgotten breaking of the record since Ghostbusters 2

That will happen when the record gets demolished a few months later.

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

There’s a great The Big Picture podcast ranking the top ten Cruise movies. Well worth a listen, and they really struggle to narrow it down to a definitive ten. Sort of thing only us nerds would argue about. 

For me, the definitive ten (only counting one of a franchise)….

Risky Business

Top Gun

Rain Man

A Few Good Men

The Firm

Mission: Impossible

Jerry Maguire

Eyes Wide Shut

Magnolia

Collateral

i love a ton of others but they’re variations on similar characters in the above ten.  Born on the 4th July he’s amazing in, but it’s not something I’d ever want to throw on.

I have massive nostalgia for Cocktail and Days of Thunder. The former when he’s behind that bar mixing those drinks was the coolest thing I’d ever seen when I was a kid.  Brian Flanagan rules. 

I second The Big Picture episode on this ranking as a recommendation. Vey happy Amanda got to see Top Gun: Maverick! 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I haven't seen Legend in like 20 years and I don't see it streaming anywhere, even on TubiTV or Pluto.  All I remember is Tim Curry hamming it up and it being visually incredible like the dress scene.

Christ, looking into it a bit just now there appears to be multiple cuts of that movie too.

Another reason it's handy to have an extensive dvd collection. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

What's the dom + OS total gonna be now?  900?  1B? 

It seems that OS will struggle to get to 600M so missing 1B seems rather likely. Remember, no China. CW, CM and FFH also missed 1B when you remove China boxoffice from its total.

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's super early, but Monday might end up being the most interesting day so far.  Going to hold off with anything, will post in a few hours so I can double check what I am seeing.  

Sounds like $30M+ to me....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

COVID-related production setbacks and the shift to streaming has resulted in a relatively light theatrical schedule for 2022. I think the only major studio with a full slate is Universal with 20 movies scheduled for theatrical release this year, otherwise WB has a mere 8, Sony is putting out only 11, etc.

2023 looking any better? 

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

That sounds like either of the extremes - massive drop or like no drop during the daytime leading to a ridiculous hold. 😂 this is the fun side of box office!

It ain't the former.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I. If you go back to those threads, you would see that the most optimistic predictions for it where in the 120M OW region except for the lunatic @excel1.

:wtf::ban:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

I second The Big Picture episode on this ranking as a recommendation. Vey happy Amanda got to see Top Gun: Maverick! 

Going to listen to her and Fennessey’s Maverick episode tonight! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

On Hollywoods list of bad ideas, imo making a sequel to E.T. should rank among the Top 5 at least.

10 hours ago, filmscholar said:

After the success of "TG 2",  I know of another Popular 80's IP that never got a sequel.

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial | Best of the 80s

E.T returns to a grown up Elliott and his family in Sky - Freedoms Phoenix

Come on Steven, I saw the commercials. do it.   Send Elliot and his family to ET's planet.   A family space adventure.  Or have a Alien Threat come to earth from his planet and E.T. has to help Elliot.  There's a lot ways you can go.   It would smash.   Yes it's been 40 years but they should get on this soon.   Also I know about the "Nocturnal Fears" Script.  This would be a whole new story.  

IF Spielberg was back and they had the right story? 100% this could work. IDK if anyone would care about it, though