EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

12 minutes ago, krla said:

It's been years since I've seen these movies, and I don't even think I've watched them all, but are you saying that Jack Sparrow basically Urkel'd Pirates of the Caribbean?

Family Matters 90S Tv GIF by Warner Archive

Ha!

I think Fonzie would be a better point of reference than Urkel. He was rightly the most popular character in the show, but whenever he had the lead story or was the main character it completely imbalanced the appeal.

And sure guys, I get people do like Pirates 2 and 3 (I think 4 and 5 are less controversially bad) but the set pieces in them come across to me as "We need to have a bit where....." movies. And the narratives are so very messy - plus the Bloom/Knightly issue. Either way I'd stand by 2004-12 wasn't a particularly creative era for mainstream movies, and would say 96-02 stands out a lot better on that front. 

In additional thoughts - Rango is 100% Gore Verbinsky's best film, an absolute masterwork and the only Depp film post-Pirates 1 that I actually like.

I've never met anyone IRL that gave two hoots about JKR's activism and reasonable perspectives, but I've met plenty who think the Fantastic Beasts series is a bit rubbish and all over the place. I think that's more the issue here.

I don't like the Jurassic World franchise one bit, but they're the only gig in town doing dinosaurs so frankly I'd be astonished if Dominion doesn't go absolute gangbusters.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

This generation's Aliens/Terminator 2.

Terminator 2 comparison much more apt.  Big increase and most people agree its better than the first one. 

28 minutes ago, John2015 said:

Paramount's top Oscar play in this year is "Killers of the Flower Moon". 

Is that movie still coming out this year?  Its June and theres no release date or trailer, starting to think the rumors of its delay have merit.

I remember there was some users mentioned TGM should have been released one week earlier to have 3 weeks for itself until JWD. I was largely disagree with that thought since the movie is fitting to the Memorial Day backdrop. But now this 2nd weekend hold really got me thinking maybe that wasn't really a bad idea. But again, who know TGM could be this big? Even the most optimistic view miss the mark. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Not on MCU level, no;  really not much is, which is why they dominate box office. I couldn't find a diversity breakdown for Fallen Kingdom (Anthony seemed to be mailing it in a bit that weekend) but Jurassic World wasn't all that diverse.

54% of those watching JW were Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 14% Asian and 8% African American. 

But generally, monster movies - similar to horror - tend to bring out a more diverse audience. Here was Venom, for example:

Diversity demos were 40% Caucasian, a very strong 29% Hispanic and Latino turnout, 16% Black and 15% Asian/other

Does diverse just mean less white? From Top Gun, to JW, to MCU, all of those have a white audience that is smaller than the overall demographics of the US. Most just reflect the racial/ethnic breakdown of the age demographic most likely to see the film. The younger the audience, the less white the audience will tend to be.

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I remember there was some users mentioned TGM should have been released one week earlier to have 3 weeks for itself until JWD. I was largely disagree with that thought since the movie is fitting to the Memorial Day backdrop. But now this 2nd weekend hold really got me thinking maybe that wasn't really a bad idea. But again, who know TGM could be this big? Even the most optimistic view miss the mark. 

I disagree. Think the release date was perfect given the holiday and type of holiday. Think that helped maximize word of mouth most. Would've had premium screens longer but JWD isn't going to kill this juggernaut. I still see it doing like 55M+ next weekend. Hell, if it's over 90M+ this weekend, I'd say 60M+ is happening next weekend even with the loss of premium screens to JWD.

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I've had that same thought, but the catch is that it would have left the Memorial Day weekend open, and risk something else moving into that slot in week 2. Paramount planting the flag on MD weekend assured it would have space between both Strange and JWD. Maybe they could have moved up the release a week earlier as it got close, or even had a special IMAX/PLF only run for the 1st week before MD, but there really isn't too much to criticize with how Paramount handled the release here; results speak for themselves

1 minute ago, awkwardaardvark said:

Reasonable perspectives? She’s a raging transphobe who is unwilling to listen to reason. 
And maybe you just run in uninformed circles; but JKR’s image has cratered in the eyes of millions of fans of Harry Potter, to the extent that many old potter heads, myself included, simply do not give a shit about anything she works on anymore. 

There's a separate topic dedicated this where I've made it quite clear what utter petulant nonsense this is. I won't dwell on it here, but my points are clearly made on that thread. JKR is a woman who has dedicated enormous amount of time and fortune to others and continues to do so to this day, she happens not to have made good choices about how to go about her prequel series and seemingly isn't a very good script writer. Fortunately, she does very well out of her other writing and series. Thanks.

• Like 3

Just now, M37 said:

I've had that same thought, but the catch is that it would have left the Memorial Day weekend open, and risk something else moving into that slot in week 2. Paramount planting the flag on MD weekend assured it would have space between both Strange and JWD. Maybe they could have moved up the release a week earlier as it got close, or even had a special IMAX/PLF only run for the 1st week before MD, but there really isn't too much to criticize with how Paramount handled the release here; results speak for themselves

Plus on top of that every surprise mega-breakout is that: Surprising. Paramount maybe hoped for something like 300M DOM, but im sure they didnt anticipate THIS kind of cash. You cant really plan for something to be a surprise megagrosser, thats not how it works.

And even then, having 2 weeks of PLFs for itself is a luxury not many movies get in the first place.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I wouldn’t change a thing about TGM’s release. It’s been literally perfect and setting the Memorial Day weekend record was great publicity for the film. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

There's a separate topic dedicated this where I've made it quite clear what utter petulant nonsense this is. I won't dwell on it here, but my points are clearly made on that thread. JKR is a woman who has dedicated enormous amount of time and fortune to others and continues to do so to this day, she happens not to have made good choices about how to go about her prequel series and seemingly isn't a very good script writer. Fortunately, she does very well out of her other writing and series. Thanks.

Whatever helps you justify supporting that talentless hack, buddy. 

Edited by awkwardaardvark

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

8x:

Lightyear (West Side Story, Spider-Man: No Way Home, The Matrix: Resurrections, Death on the Nile, Everything Everywhere All at Once, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick)

5x:

Nope (X, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman, Men, Top Gun: Maverick)

4x:

Elvis (The Northman, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Petite Maman, Top Gun: Maverick)

3x:

Bullet Train (The Northman, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick)

Jurassic World: Dominion (The Northman, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick)

2x:

Don't Worry Darling (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Men)

Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank (Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Top Gun: Maverick)

Thor: Love and Thunder (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick)

1x:

Avatar: The Way of Water (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness)

Bodies Bodies Bodies (Men)

Crimes of the Future (Men)

DC League of Super Pets (Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore)

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (Petite Maman)

The Menu (Men)

Smile (Top Gun: Maverick)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

Bruh don’t cheat. Where are your final trailer counts for May (top gun, bobs burgers and doctor strange were all massive trailer stalkers after all)

• Astonished 1

49 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Wow, this'll probably be Paramount's biggest movie ever domestically until Transformers comes out next year. 

Hide contents

Obviously that's a joke. Though I do think TF could do a little better than people are expecting.

I think Beasts will do exactly the same as Dumbledore.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I disagree. Think the release date was perfect given the holiday and type of holiday. Think that helped maximize word of mouth most. Would've had premium screens longer but JWD isn't going to kill this juggernaut. I still see it doing like 55M+ next weekend. Hell, if it's over 90M+ this weekend, I'd say 60M+ is happening next weekend even with the loss of premium screens to JWD.

Maybe open a week early OS. Now Jurassic will kill its legs OS

59 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Tom Cruise should he given an Oscar for this movie has a career achievement award similar to John Wayne’s win for True Grit 

I agree - he made the movie into as stellar as it is.  No one dislikes this movie, and everyone says it's one of the best action movies in a LONG time...and the Oscars are supposed to award great/best movies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Maybe open a week early OS. Now Jurassic will kill its legs OS

Well, yeah, it'll eat into them a bit but the word of mouth monster that Maverick is... I don't know... Not sure it can be stopped. Can only hope to contain it. Haha. But, yes, I can't deny your point here.