EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

I think the MCU has set itself up where everything under a billion is viewed like a disappointment but, apart from that, it’s the critical/audience reception that I find troubling. That’s why I excluded Shang Chi from my initial post. 
Black Widow was too little, too late, Eternals was a borefest and MoM did most definitely NOT set the world on fire, as expected after NWH (and now that the dust has settled, I don’t think NWH will be regarded as a very good film either). Maybe the MCU does not get an easy pass from critics anymore.

I agree though that even with the good will built from previous entries, the introduction of new characters would always make things more challenging. 

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I think the MCU has set itself up where everything under a billion is viewed like a disappointment but, apart from that, it’s the critical/audience reception that I find troubling. That’s why I excluded Shang Chi from my initial post. 
Black Widow was too little, too late, Eternals was a borefest and MoM did most definitely NOT set the world on fire, as expected after NWH (and now that the dust has settled, I don’t think NWH will be regarded as a very good film either). Maybe the MCU does not get an easy pass from critics anymore.

I agree though that even with the good will built from previous entries, the introduction of new characters would always make things more challenging. 

No way home was the first epic film in 2 years so it got a huge boost as we just been watching trashy streaming  action films lol but I think people felt it was worth the hype. 

Edited by Torontofan

24 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I think the MCU has set itself up where everything under a billion is viewed like a disappointment

I think that's only with the double whammy of BP and CM. But I think for that to be expected to be a trend is not reasonable: BP was an unique cultural phenomenon and CM benefited from maybe the most optimum scheduling placement in blockbuster history. I think valuing future films - including the sequels of those films - at an "expected 1bm minimum" level is a tactic that will be employed by the bad-faith youtube merchants but not a fair or reasonable expectation for them.

MoM did most definitely NOT set the world on fire, as expected after NWH

I think that was online expectations in certain quarters though. By the standards of "just" a second Doctor Strange film, which is - essentially - what it was, it improved significantly on the first and made a good amount.

Black Widow was too little, too late, Eternals was a borefest

I think Black Widow was more of an easing into the new phase and that would have worked in a normal scenario - it was reminiscent of New Doctor Who episodes which have sometimes played into the previous Doctor's era heavily when launching a new Doctor (worked particularly well with Tom Baker).

And I think there has been a bit of a misremembering of where BW started when discussing a film for her. She didn't really have a defined solid character until Cap America 2, and followed a pretty good arc from then on, so not sure where a BW solo film would have best suited in the Thanos era.

25 minutes ago, Xavier said:

(and now that the dust has settled, I don’t think NWH will be regarded as a very good film either). Maybe the MCU does not get an easy pass from critics anymore.

NWH will still be regarded as a good film by the general audience even if it doesn't hold up in the cold light of day by most objective measures.

I think the MCU was always intending to take more risks with critic approvals. I think the first Dr Strange and AMATW stretched what the Rotten Tomatoes formula could do with "everyone agrees that its a decent enough movie even if it's following a formula" films. Any more and critics would have started badmouthing those films anyway. Might as well take active risks.

25 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I think there is, if anything, a reverse risk to previous entries' good will too. Endgame marked a natural jumping off point for some viewers and the MCU is now old enough to have 'good old days' for those who enjoy spectating/thinking of things from that distance. Between the balance of pandering to those fans versus the risk of the MCU seeming passe to late Gen-z-ers the latter is by far the greater risk in the long run: the MCU becoming uncool and "a thing that old-people go on about" is a dynamic that Feige and Disney will be thinking far more about than the average long-run fan.

Turnover is natural and a certain amount of it will be tolerated, indeed, perceived as necessary.

Re: MCU 1 billion expectation discussion.

Maybe I'm a doof, but doesn't the uncertain nature of the Chinese Box Office for the foreseeable future seriously diminish the chances of any films making it to 1B? Do we factor that in to the MCU's performances recently?

Anyway, for my part, I don't see the current crop of films as meaningfully better or worse than the average MCU flick from the Infinity Stones Era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the unbelievable numbers Top Gun Maverick is pulling and how successfully they also revitalized the Mission: Impossible franchise, I keep wondering how the hell did Cruise and McQuarrie screw the Mummy reboot so badly.

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Looking at the unbelievable numbers Top Gun Maverick is pulling and how successfully they also revitalized the Mission: Impossible franchise, I keep wondering how the hell did Cruise and McQuarrie screw the Mummy reboot so badly.

Alex Kurtzman

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Re: MCU 1 billion expectation discussion.

Maybe I'm a doof, but doesn't the uncertain nature of the Chinese Box Office for the foreseeable future seriously diminish the chances of any films making it to 1B? Do we factor that in to the MCU's performances recently?

Anyway, for my part, I don't see the current crop of films as meaningfully better or worse than the average MCU flick from the Infinity Stones Era.

Doesn't only huge event MCU movies make a billion without china ? the only who broke the mould was BP....can't think of any other. Heck even DCEU movies are the same lool it seems china plays a huge role in getting movies past the bill threshold

Edited by SupermanLego
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

This is going to sound really stupid, but could Paramount be forced to pull Maverick from theatres over the lawsuit?

This copyright attorney doesn't seem to think there is much of a case, the thread explains why:

Has a movie ever been pulled from theaters during its theatrical run due to a lawsuit? I've heard of edits and delays due to real-life news.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

After first weekend - TG2 $60.7 million behind DS2’s first weekend 

After second weekend - TG2 $2.4 million ahead of where DS2 was after its second weekend. 

I Aint Worried Top Gun GIF by OneRepublic

Actually it is not too crazy to think about if TGM will pass 400m by end of next weekend

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Actually it is not too crazy to think about if TGM will pass 400m by end of next weekend

Will get their imo with a probable 55M+ weekend + weekdays another 40M+

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur

Monday AM: Top Gun: Maverick keeps breaking the sound barrier at the box office as the Tom Cruise movie saw its second weekend come in higher with $90M and a running U.S./Canada total of $295.6M. As we wrote all along, that’s a domestic record for Cruise and co-financier Skydance. In addition that -29% second weekend ease is the best for a movie that’s opened to $100M+.

Nancy and I agree: Too soon to call an ultimate $1 billion on the Cruise movie, but besting his top grossing film worldwide, Mission: Impossible – Fallout at $791M is definitely in the realm of possibility

No shit Deadline.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This copyright attorney doesn't seem to think there is much of a case, the thread explains why:

Has a movie ever been pulled from theaters during its theatrical run due to a lawsuit? I've heard of edits and delays due to real-life news.

A bunch of scammers, they don't deserve a single cent and should be countersued into oblivion by Paramount.