EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

For anyone who might think that TGM's insane performance is mostly held up by America's "American Sniper crowd" (and let's be honest, I think a lot of that thought might have already been long squashed)

the movie is pretty much even with last Friday/Saturday in Canada. Any drop would be in the mid-single-digits %. It's actually insane what this movie is pulling off. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Juby said:

Don't be so sure about that. The Batman suppose to be $400m locked after its 2nd weekend and see how this ends up. For now, if we compare TGM performance with B&tB and TDK, I would say $485m is locked, nothing more. But ofc $500m and even $600m is possible if Tom hendle well next two weekends.

Among Memorial Day openers, it only has to hold as good as Indiana Jones 4, Night at the Museum 2, PotC: Dead Men tell no tales etc. to sail over $500M. Even Solo's extremely mediocre legs take it to $495M. So yeah, $500M is as good as a lock. Book it. Meanwhile, Aladdin legs get to $643M, which I'm not comfortable calling... as of now. But you can never tell with this movie.

3 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

TG will probably be hit hard next week when JW releases and takes a lot of the higher end screens. Anecdotally, the theater chain i work for has 2 locations in the metro, one has 'Imax' (that used to be IMAX we just stopped paying for the brand so it's not that anymore but nothing else changed) and the other doesn't. Normally the one without IMAX wins handily to the tune of a few hundred tickets a day on busy weekends. That's completely flipped on its head since TG came out. Though to be fair the other theater is also in an area with a lot more older people so ehh. 

What's your final prediction for TGM?

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

620 would be totally alright. As would be 630, 640, 650 or even 651M.

But not more than that.

Well tbf 620 is actually miss, it’s 621 that’s required.   

And I suspect you could find some way to cope with 652,270,624 ;) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

what day of the week are we talking about?

? This is clearly the Sunday number.

Am i missing something??

Spoiler

:qotd:

• Like 1

It's pretty rare at least in my recollection, is that a film is completely beloved by pretty much everyones has a massive rotten tomatoes score and even has most people here loving it. I know there's lots of other films that can claim this but this movie just seems like it's being embraced by everybody. Old fogies like me are loving it my 12-year-old niece adored it and the 20 and 30-year-olds are loving it as well. It's awesome to see how this movie has just allowed everyone to just fall in love with it.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 14
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

It's pretty rare at least in my recollection, is that a film is completely beloved by moving hours has a massive rotten tomatoes score and even has most people here loving it. I know there's lots of other films that can claim this but this movie just seems like it's being embraced by everybody. Old fogies like me are loving it my 12-year-old niece adored it and the 20 and 30-year-olds are loving it as well. It's awesome to see how this movie has just allowed everyone to just fall over with it.

Baumer! You're alive. Good to see you posting.

• Like 1

Thanks buddy. I just lost my mojo over the last 18 months or so. I've been here sporadically but I had to come by and just check and see how well the movie is doing this weekend. Hope everyone here is doing well.

• Like 7