Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Really was hoping Jurassic World Dominion would open to 69 million opening day so I could finally unleash this "Blue is the Warmest Color" joke about Blue the Raptor I've had cued up for the last two years. 

You had your chance in 2015 when Jurassic World had a 69 million Saturday

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think Universal should rest the Jurassic films for 5-10 years after this. 

Dont know about 10 years, but something like 5-6 years i would like to see.

From Deadline:

The sixth Jurassic movie expands to 4,676 theaters today, including 3D, IMAX and other premium large format screens. Disney will absorb all of those format next weekend for Pixar’s Lightyear. 

15 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Agreed. As discussed in the Memorial Day thread, it's especially wild to think that back in '07, At World's End's 8:00 previews were separated from the Friday and weekend grosses, and yet now business from 3:00-4:00 on Thursday gets rolled into the weekend, no questions asked.

I've long thought it would be cool to have two separate, official daily and weekend opening records - one with all the previews rolled in, and one with early screening grosses removed and counted as a separate day. For the last couple decades, preview numbers for the big movies are certainly public enough that it could be done.

Problem is, the lack of Thursday previews pushed more business to the weekend, so those numbers (especially Friday) would be naturally higher for equivalent levels of demand. There's a reason AWE dropped 12% from Fri to Sat and TG2 went up 16%

Would have to come up with some kind of methodology to weight the cannibalization effect of differing preview availability, not just the start time, but including other pre-Thursday showings like Fandango screenings, Early Access, and other pre-Thursday shows

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

From Deadline:

The sixth Jurassic movie expands to 4,676 theaters today, including 3D, IMAX and other premium large format screens. Disney will absorb all of those format next weekend for Pixar’s Lightyear. 

NOOOO

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

NOOOO

?

We always knew Lightyear will steal everything from Dominion, just as Dominion stole everything from Top Gun this weekend. Its just how it goes unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

?

We always knew Lightyear will steal everything from Dominion, just as Dominion stole everything from Top Gun this weekend. Its just how it goes unfortunately.

I thought it would be an Inside Out situation where they would share PLFs

Edited by Alex SciChannel

I saw someone pointing out how Universal doesn't own the rights to dinosaurs in film, and yet here we are where the only dinosaur movies we are getting are set within this specific universe.  

I know that competing with the big daddy dino series sounds like a fools errand, but come on, more dinosaurs!

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Setting off to give JW: Dominion a chance in a few hours.

Saw Men earlier in the week. Absolutely fantastic, but not a surprise that it had no mainstream mileage even if it was perhaps a liiiiitle more conventional as a horror film, in terms of jump scares and uncanny beats, than things like Hereditary and mother!

Interested to see what Maverick will do across the bows of JW:D. 

Also, I can't help but blurt out that when pitching Top Gunnesque 80s revivals last week I remember someone pitching a Big sequel with Tom Hanks. But surely the natural sequel to Big would be with Elizabeth Perkins and Colin Hanks. Obviously neither are stars and it wouldn't be a star vehicle but as a low budget ultra-cringe comedy about a woman meeting the grown version of the kid she unknowingly hooked up with it might have potential. Anyway, that's a tangent.

Also cheering on The Bad Guys' attempt to get to 100. Will hit the x4 OW this weekend!

yeah, Men was pretty great.  Kudos to A24 for letting Garland do his thing with no compromises. 

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I saw someone pointing out how Universal doesn't own the rights to dinosaurs in film, and yet here we are where the only dinosaur movies we are getting are set within this specific universe.  

I know that competing with the big daddy dino series sounds like a fools errand, but come on, more dinosaurs!

Oh, certainly yes.

Imo, apart from the JP franchise, King Kong (2005) had probaby the best dinosaurs when it comes to 21st century films.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

From Deadline:

I think that's just an assumption, because nobody is selling LY tickets past like 3PM on FSS, and if it was an assured takeover, they would be on sale already.  JWD will likely keep at least 1 if not 2 PLF shows per screen next weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I think that's just an assumption, because nobody is selling LY tickets past like 3PM on FSS, and if it was an assured takeover, they would be on sale already.  JWD will likely keep at least 1 if not 2 PLF shows per screen next weekend

Unless they're taking down 600+ shows that are already listed for next weekend, JWD will still have IMAX.  Most likely an even-ish split

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rainy said:

Will TGM cross 1 billion WW by the end of its run?

Yes. Its looking to cross 550M DOM pretty easily since it has no reason to apruptly develop bad legs later in its run and another 450M OS is also locked in my opinion. Its at 265M there already.