Eric is Anxious

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

20 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Well thank you that was my first dog Lacy A beautiful ridiculous Shiba Inu that we took the England with us and she had her own pet passport (not kidding lol) 

She died a couple years ago when we moved back to America.

I really should update it but I miss that dog :(

Aw our dog (Yorkipoo) is named Lacey as well. Love her to bits, sorry for your loss.

On-topic, I think another larger issue for Gen Z is their acclimation to just getting all entertainment from YouTube/Tik Tok.

Feels like there is a generation being bred to not have the attention span for even short-form TV content, nevermind films.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Also an issue for comedies is the same as for romcoms - no international appeal because a lot of jokes don't travel well, and lack of franchise potential.

When the home video market was doing well that didn't matter for comedies and romcoms, but the HV market collapsing and becoming streaming instead meant a big revenue source was blocked off for those genres and not replaced by anything else as OS and franchise issues remained.

That makes a lot of sense: comedy is culture/language specific, explosions are not, a lot easier to sell in ever-growing international markets. The ROI is limited if that’s the primary hook rather than a story that has jokes 

7 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Feels like there is a generation being bred to not have the attention span for even short-form TV content, nevermind films.

Kids attention spans is not the issue lol I remember when they said the same about my generation in the 90s when it came to reading books, there are generational shifts in what entertainment is favoured.

I have 2 much younger siblings who are between Gen Z and Alpha and they will happily play Roblox/Minecraft/Fortnite whatever for longer than the running time of most films. I've taken the oldest to a few movies Moana (when she was very young) and Dora being the ones a remember and she happily sat through the movie without getting too twitchy. Both of them do prefer to watch at home as they can watch the same movie over and over as happened with Encanto and Turning Red recently and also skip to their favourite scenes of those movies, which is not to dissimilar to what I did with VHS tapes and DVDs back in the day. 

That said gaming is for sure even more popular than when I was a kid and between that and user generated content on Tik Tok and YouTube those are much more popular ways to pass time than movies and TV for the younger ones. 

• Like 2

Consumption shifting out of movies and into games and TV is definitely not a story of *shorter* attention spans.  

Quibi was the short attention span play and it went belly up in like a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Also an issue for comedies is the same as for romcoms - no international appeal because a lot of jokes don't travel well, and lack of franchise potential.

When the home video market was doing well that didn't matter for comedies and romcoms, but the HV market collapsing and becoming streaming instead meant a big revenue source was blocked off for those genres and not replaced by anything else as OS and franchise issues remained.

Sometimes a big star can alleviate that issue. Due Date with RDJ pulled in 200m WW, Neighbors had Rogen + Efron and made 270. Daddy's Home 1 with Wahlberg and Ferrell did 240 against Force Awakens and the sequel did 180..not bad investment returns on these by any means. Even Wes Anderson, who can be seen as some niche arthouse guy, had Grand Budapest Hotel gross 100m internationally alone. Now he's made a film for Netflix which is insanity

Not that many stars do full comedies, though, and if they do tip into comedy to insure they have some kind of action twist just for international appeal like Rock doing Central Intelligence. It is really sad because it does condition studios and audiences to view a specific type of tentpole as THE only worthy theater experience even though comedies are fun in theaters, and that it's worthless to studios to don't bother with a production unless it has potential for half a billion worldwide 

If audiences want a comedy, mystery, romance, or a drama, they can get quality content from streaming and TV.  Why go to the movies, which are constrained by their runtime, when you can get stories that have more time to develop at home?  Mid-budget action fare is also increasingly in this category.  There is no shortage of action schlock originals on Netflix.

What draws people to theaters are qualities that movies possess that other mediums don't.  Movies (particularly in theaters), with their massive budgets and big screen presentation offer larger than life characters, visual spectacle, and intense action.  This is why superhero movies are so dominant.  Its why Avatar is huge.  Its why Top Gun Maverick did so well.  Its why people go out to see dinosaurs even if the critics say the movie's shit.  Obviously, character work, plot, and good writing will always be important, but any movie that wants to do well needs to play to the strengths of the format, movies that don't are increasingly going to find more success on streaming.  This is also why I think horror will remain a healthy genre for the box office- seeing a horror movie in your home is very different from seeing it in theaters.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Attention spans are not an issue but I've def seen more cellphones in the last few months post theater re-openings than I have in the last couple years lol

Yeah that shit is annoying having to see their blue light, and then I want to tell them to stop but they're a few seats away and I don't feel like talking. 

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah that shit is annoying having to see their blue light, and then I want to tell them to stop but they're a few seats away and I don't feel like talking. 

This is why god invented tranquilizer darts tbh

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

There is no shortage of action schlock originals on Netflix.

Speaking of Netflix, Interceptor has some really, really, REALLY bad CGI work. Can't believe I'm saying this because I hate the statement, but it was PS3 quality.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

I'm sure I'll get lectured by people that everything is still fine and nothing will ever change, but I still have a huge nagging fear in the back of my mind that a lot of kids these days are so used to seeing new movies at home that theaters are like vinyl to them. Just some weird way to watch something they'll get at home soon. Gonna lead to some bad implications in the next couple decades.

I'm between two factors with this, on one hand home viewership has been a huge factor since the 80s with VHS and well streaming has made things easier the most popular tapes and eventually discs still sold 10s of millions of copies and you had video rental stores on top of that.

On the other hand back in the 90s/early 2000s there was an easy to discern difference between home video (both with tape quality and TV set being small by modern standards CRTs) vs. a massive screen cinema (also smaller by modern standards but not as much as the gap in TV) now we have 4K 55 inch+ TVs that are either affordable or amazing looking if you drop some $$$ (or a projector if you are that way inclined as my friend was when we a bunch of us watched the first 2 episodes of Kenobi on a 120 inch screen with his fancy new Laser projector) and yes a properly calibrated visual and sound system at a cinema will still top these TVs but I feel like the quality and experience is much closer than in years/decades past.

I don't think this just impacts kids either, that on top of the fact as I keep saying TV shows look really really good compared to even 10 years ago let alone 20 years ago and that likely has an impact as well.

22 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

If audiences want a comedy, mystery, romance, or a drama, they can get quality content from streaming and TV.  Why go to the movies, which are constrained by their runtime, when you can get stories that have more time to develop at home?  Mid-budget action fare is also increasingly in this category.  There is no shortage of action schlock originals on Netflix.

What draws people to theaters are qualities that movies possess that other mediums don't.  Movies (particularly in theaters), with their massive budgets and big screen presentation offer larger than life characters, visual spectacle, and intense action.  This is why superhero movies are so dominant.  Its why Avatar is huge.  Its why Top Gun Maverick did so well.  Its why people go out to see dinosaurs even if the critics say the movie's shit.  Obviously, character work, plot, and good writing will always be important, but any movie that wants to do well needs to play to the strengths of the format, movies that don't are increasingly going to find more success on streaming.  This is also why I think horror will remain a healthy genre for the box office- seeing a horror movie in your home is very different from seeing it in theaters.

Yes, Avatar was huge but you know what else was huge in 2009? The Hangover (6th domestic), The Blind Side (8th domestic), The Proposal made 163m domestically and over 300 worldwide total, Mall Cop made 146m domestically and 183 worldwide on a 26m budget. 

Just to add on here. I went to high school in the mid-2010s. I was the only one to like movies, everyone else always talked about video games and/or stuff they saw on social media like Vine. I couldn’t really talk to anyone about non-CBM films, even blockbusters like the Planet of the Apes prequels. So that’s definitely been a thing for a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Besides, Jat has learned his lesson — reliable numbers kill the page count. What we really need is a deadline num:sparta:

Just got Tony on the phone and he is hearing an early range of $30m to $100m for JW3 Saturday.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Even before the pandemic, video games and tv were huge competition for people's money and time. Not exactly surprised that zoomers lean towards stuff they can get more out of

Hell, I'd pick video games over movies most of the time nowadays

• Like 1