IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Listen, i want my doom and gloom fantasys :D

Ahh, there is the reason 😉

I guess you didn't grew up watching 'Kennen Sie Kino?' (~ Do you know cinema?), a series I watched for some years. Loved Horst Lange aka Lederstrumpf as the host, as he took over. What a voice! I missed the last some years of it, partly bcs it wasn't the same without him.

(Not to confuse with the film music quiz)

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Ahh, there is the reason 😉

I guess you didn't grew up watching 'Kennen Sie Kino?' (~ Do you know cinema?), a series I watched for some years. Loved Horst Lange aka Lederstrumpf as the host, as he took over. What a voice! I missed the last some years of it, partly bcs it wasn't the same without him.

(Not to confuse with the film music quiz)

Wikipedia:

Kennen Sie Kino? (Untertitel: Fernsehquiz für Kinogänger) war eine Quizsendung der ARD, die von 1968 bis 1984 ausgestrahlt wurde

My parents hadnt even met in 1984 :D

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Wikipedia:

Kennen Sie Kino? (Untertitel: Fernsehquiz für Kinogänger) war eine Quizsendung der ARD, die von 1968 bis 1984 ausgestrahlt wurde

My parents hadnt even met in 1984 :D

I started school in the '60 :ph34r: Jungle Book was the first movie I saw in a cinema. The animated version.

Star Wars IV was the first one I paid myself for and watched in secret, as no one around me watched Sci-Fi then and it was not allowed to watch those anway by my mother.

But my way of thinking is sometimes even older than that, as my father was born before WW I.

My husband too had a rather old parent in the mix, the other at least somehow younger, but still old as he got born.

His father fought in WW I, mine in WW II. Both fought also activley against the Nazis and engaged in later work pro democracy. Between my son and his father's side grandfather are 98y difference (me too was a bit older than the most as I got pregnant, hubby has 7y+ on me)

In a way I have a strange mix of POV on the world, old ones, middle times, and modern, as I have not only a son, 6 nephews, a niece and a grand niece, but also teach nowadays at a school e.g. media (I stayed home today, stomach infection). And worked in tech incl. with computers before Windows 1.0 got released. All that gave me additional input, great to learn.

= I guess I am probably around the age of your parents 😉

On 4/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, titanic2187 said:

The over consumption of the superhero genre around the world didn't help German box office

I'd say that is very much correct. Hollywood simply doesn't really produce the movies anymore that work well in Germany. The genres that work the best here aren't really en vogue in the US right now, and they aren't necessarily all that interesting for the rising markets either. That isn't entirely their fault, doing something that works well in asia will get you more money than something that caters mostly to Germans. Many times the studios don't think things through though. At times you see them not even releasing a movie that would fit well in Germany, because it doesn't really garner a lot of interest elsewhere either. So instead of deciding things market by market, they just make general decisions for broad regions at the most.

Apart from the issues of just not enough Hollywood-productions that cater to German tastes, the release-schedule is another big reason why things don't work. Stuff just gets thrown out there regardless of how big the competition is. Local holidays that would offer an advantage often get ignored. And delivering tentpoles when Germans actually want to go to the cinema (e.g. winter) doesn't happen all that often. I guess the latter is a consequence of studios trying to keepthe release dates as closely together as possible, born out of the desire to keep pirating down. Only Japan really seems to get a different treatment.

• Like 6

@IceFire9yt

International B.O.
Land B.O. %
Czechia Besucher +25,9
Slowakei Besucher +24,0
Japan Yen  +19,2
Polen Besucher +18,6
Mexiko  Besucher +15,7
Netherlands +6,5
Hungary Besucher +4,2
South Korea Besucher +3,8
Russia Besucher +1,6
Finnland Besucher +1,2
Wie hat sich das I. Quartal 2019 in 26 Ländern gegenüber dem Vorjahr entwickelt? Hier eine kleine Übersicht - dabei ist zu beachten, dass die Grundlage für die Statistik die kummulierten wöchentlichen Top Ten Charts sind und dementsprechend nur einen (großen) Teil des Box Offices abdecken. Die prozentualen Unterschiede sind also nur ein Indiz und kein hochoffizielles Ergebnis!

Zehn Länder sind im Plus und 16 Länder im Minus.

Die Länder, die mit lokalen Hits punkten konnten, haben die größten Zuwächse, aber es fällt auch auf, dass in den Ländern, in denen Bohemian Rhapsody besonders erfolgreich war (Tschechien, Japan, Niederlande) ebenfalls in der Pluszone zu finden sind.

Norwegen ist das Sorgenkind des Quartals, statt vier Filmen über 250.000 Besuchern wie in 2018 gab es dieses Jahr keinen einzigen. Die USA und GB leiden hauptsächlich darunter, dass Captain Marvel nicht so erfolgreich ist wie Black Panther.

Im deutschsprachigen Raum gab es -8,0 %  in Deutschland und -7,6 % in der Schweiz. In Österreich soll es wohl ein Minus von 16 % geben, diese Zahl konnte ich aber noch nicht verifizieren.
International B.O.
Land B.O. %
Rumania Besucher -3,3
Ukraine Besucher -5,0
France Besucher -5,3
Brasilia Besucher -6,0
Italy -7,2
Swiss Besucher -7,6
Germany Besucher -8,0
Australia AU-$ -8,6
Spain Besucher -10,3
China Besucher -11,9
Argentinien  Besucher -12,0
Greece Besucher -12,0
Portugal Besucher -14,9
USA  US-$ -16,5
GB/UK £  -24,6
Norway Besucher -26,6

Insidekino did a 1st quarter of 2019 thing, I have no idea how to reformat this

Besucher = admissions

Its taking only the top 10 of each week into consideration.... the countries were Bohemian Rhapsody is extreme successful tend to be the + countries, US and UK -, ~ mostly bcs BP was so much higher than CM.

Edited by terrestrial
typos
  • Thanks 1

IMAX Corporation and independent German theatre operator Lochmann Filmtheaterbetriebe have announced an agreement to build the largest IMAX screen in the world at the Traumpalast Leonberg multiplex in Leonberg.

The new theatre is expected to open in 2020 and will feature IMAX’s laser experience and an estimated 38-metre screen. Wednesday’s (10) announcement builds on IMAX’s recent momentum in Germany, where the company now has 10 theatres open or contracted to open.

The deal marks IMAX’s first with an independent cinema operator in Germany, which has traditionally been a difficult market for the company to penetrate. However recently the market has shown signs of improvement for IMAX. In 2018 it grew its commercial theatre network from two to six as overall IMAX box office climbed nearly 30% over 2017

IMAX box office in Germany through March is currently up nearly 100% on the same period last year, with an upcoming slate that includes Avengers: Endgame, which was shot entirely with IMAX cameras. Captain Marvel marked the highest opening weekend ever for IMAX in Germany on $250,000 from seven locations.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/imax-signs-deal-with-german-partner-to-build-companys-largest-screen/5138467.article

The negotiations started at least a good year back for that

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

most successful movies in the German-speaking region in 2018 (Germany, Austria, the German speaking part of Swiss) in admissions per millions

Die erfolgreichsten Filme im deutschsprachigen Raum 2018 (D, A, dt. CH) in Mio. Besucher:

4,56 Grindelwalds Verbrechen

4,42 Bohemian Rhapsody

4,12 Avengers 3

3,64 50 Shades 3

3,58 Junge muss

3,14 Hotel Transsilvanien 3

2,94 Mamma Mia 2

2,91 Grinch

2,89 Jurassic 2

2,75 Deadpool 2

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And some Thursday actuals (source Blickpunkt:Film):

The new releases:

After (released in 480 theaters): 45k plus 55k from Wednesday - the book is very popular here from what I read
Hellboy (397): 9k → 65k admissions OW in the first trend, under the expectations
Wonder Park (590): 7.6k
Alfons Zitterbacke - Das Chaos ist zurück (320): 2.2k → 47.5k OW
Border (69): 1.5k
The Aftermath (94): 1.2k
Christo - Walking on Water (64): 900

The holdovers:

Monsieur Claude 2: 22k (actuals last Thursday 25k) - very good
Pet Sematary: 11.5k (18k)
Shazam!: 10.2k (20k) - mmh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, terrestrial said:

most successful movies in the German-speaking region in 2018 (Germany, Austria, the German speaking part of Swiss) in admissions per millions

Die erfolgreichsten Filme im deutschsprachigen Raum 2018 (D, A, dt. CH) in Mio. Besucher:

4,56M FB2 (3,88M (85%) / 0,68M)

4,42M BR (3,5M (79%) / 0,92M)

4,12M AIW (3,4M (83%) / 0,72M)

3,64M FSOG3 (3,01M (83%) / 0,63M)

3,58M Junge (3,51M (98%) / 0,07M)

3,14M HT3 (2,55M (81%) / 0,59M)

2,94M MM2 (2,18M (74%)/ 0,76M)

2,91M Grinch (2,27M (78%) / 0,64M)

2,89M JW2 (2,4M (83%) / 0,49M)

2,75M DP2 (2,24M (81%) / 0,51M)

I edited your post with (German result (Share of total) / other German speaking countries).

Junge is the expected outlier as a german movie about a german person. Seems like FB2 rather overperformed while MM2 underperformed in Germany...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aristis said:

I edited your post with (German result (Share of total) / other German speaking countries).

Junge is the expected outlier as a german movie about a german person. Seems like FB2 rather overperformed while MM2 underperformed in Germany...

Am I blind? = Can't see the change???

2 hours ago, el sid said:

And some Thursday actuals (source Blickpunkt:Film):

The new releases:

After (released in 480 theaters): 45k plus 55k from Wednesday - the book is very popular here from what I read
Hellboy (397): 9k → 65k admissions OW in the first trend, under the expectations
Wonder Park (590): 7.6k
Alfons Zitterbacke - Das Chaos ist zurück (320): 2.2k → 47.5k OW
Border (69): 1.5k
The Aftermath (94): 1.2k
Christo - Walking on Water (64): 900

The holdovers:

Monsieur Claude 2: 22k (actuals last Thursday 25k) - very good
Pet Sematary: 11.5k (18k)
Shazam!: 10.2k (20k) - mmh

Oh my. Italians are not the only ones feeling sexy. I see the Germans are also 50 Shades-starved.